Page 87 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 2439
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, I'd suspect that Roach is the starting PG. He's the higher-rated recruit of the two, and he's the one who is an actual PG (Steward is a SG with combo guard skills).
    We CAN'T start two PGs! That NEVER works out for us!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Yes, we've often started two guys who can handle the ball. And one of them plays primarily PG. Of the two, I'd expect that to be Roach, with Steward serving the "SG who can also handle the ball really well" role.

Of course, it's quite possible that only one of them is a starter next year, pending decisions by Moore and Stanley. And if only one of them starts, I'd expect it to be Roach at PG.

I expect Roach to be a pest on defense, and for Steward to serve out plenty of treys.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    You like Steward over Roach as starting PG?
    Yeah, while I certainly wouldn't mind them starting together, it just seems like we're going to end up with a lot of returning wing talent next season. Whether that's soph Stanley, soph Moore, Jr Baker, or maybe even Sr AOC, I think we'll end up starting *one* of Steward or Roach to accomodate that wing talent, although Coach K will certainly play them together at times. Anyway, for me, Steward is the better player so that's whom I expect to start. Certainly not a knock on Roach, whom I love having on the team as well.

Additionally, think about how much ball-handing duty Jalen Johnson, who plays like a point-forward, and a soph Moore will take on. Steward is going to end up complementing those guys better.

Yeah, I'd suspect that Roach is the starting PG. He's the higher-rated recruit of the two, and he's the one who is an actual PG (Steward is a SG with combo guard skills).

That said, it will be interesting to see how the wing spot plays out with Steward and Johnson (though perhaps he bumps up to PF) coming in and the possibility of Moore and/or Stanley returning. And if Johnson does slide up to PF a la Ingram/Tatum, there's the possibility that Hurt returns too (he has not looked like a sure-fire first rounder so far this year, and his limited run/jump athleticism and skinny frame makes it hard to project his NBA viability). I mean, obviously Johnson will start somewhere regardless given his talent. But there is a reasonable chance that a couple of guys hoping to be starters are stuck coming off the bench next year.

Not that I'd complain about having a few top-25 recruits coming off the bench, of course.
    Not to mention Joey and/or AOC coming off the bench and fighting for minutes. I imagine both view themselves as starter-types next year (AOC hasn’t been playing great, but has started several games). We could have a real logjam on the wing next year if those guys come back...wouldn’t surprise me if someone transferred or we lost a recruit (ala Boogie) given that type of logjam.

Yes, we've often started two guys who can handle the ball. And one of them plays primarily PG. Of the two, I'd expect that to be Roach, with Steward serving the "SG who can also handle the ball really well" role.

Of course, it's quite possible that only one of them is a starter next year, pending decisions by Moore and Stanley. And if only one of them starts, I'd expect it to be Roach at PG.
    I agree with that last sentence. I fully expect Roach to have the keys next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, while I certainly wouldn't mind them starting together, it just seems like we're going to end up with a lot of returning wing talent next season. Whether that's soph Stanley, soph Moore, Jr Baker, or maybe even Sr AOC, I think we'll end up starting *one* of Steward or Roach to accomodate that wing talent, although Coach K will certainly play them together at times. Anyway, for me, Steward is the better player so that's whom I expect to start. Certainly not a knock on Roach, whom I love having on the team as well.

Additionally, think about how much ball-handing duty Jalen Johnson, who plays like a point-forward, and a soph Moore will take on. Steward is going to end up complementing those guys better.
    I think this is a worthwhile discussion, although I am still figuring out who will or should start this year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Not to mention Joey and/or AOC coming off the bench and fighting for minutes. I imagine both view themselves as starter-types next year (AOC hasn’t been playing great, but has started several games). We could have a real logjam on the wing next year if those guys come back...wouldn’t surprise me if someone transferred or we lost a recruit (ala Boogie) given that type of logjam.

I agree with that last sentence. I fully expect Roach to have the keys next year.
    Yeah, with 6 scholarship recruits committed and probably only 4-5 scholarship recruits leaving (the two seniors, Jones, Carey, and probably one of Stanley/Moore/Hurt) it's going to get pretty crowded next. We may well have 8 top-40 recruits (between the frosh class and returnees from the sophomore class) as well as 3 more juniors and seniors who have been in the rotation for at least one year. And it's not out of the question that we'd have 9 top-40 recruits (if all three of Moore, Stanley, and Hurt return). In either of those scenarios, I'd not be shocked if somebody decided to go elsewhere. That's just a lot of talented mouths to feed, and even with Coach K's willingness to play up to 10 guys this season, I can't see him going to 11 or 12 next year.

Of course, there is still time for some of those 3 freshmen to improve their draft resumes and go pro (or just decide to go pro anyway). If 2 of the 3 go, we're back at a 10-man group with probably one of the freshmen bigs getting limited minutes in year one.

Yeah, with 6 scholarship recruits committed and probably only 4-5 scholarship recruits leaving (the two seniors, Jones, Carey, and probably one of Stanley/Moore/Hurt) it's going to get pretty crowded next. We may well have 8 top-40 recruits (between the frosh class and returnees from the sophomore class) as well as 3 more juniors and seniors who have been in the rotation for at least one year. And it's not out of the question that we'd have 9 top-40 recruits (if all three of Moore, Stanley, and Hurt return). In either of those scenarios, I'd not be shocked if somebody decided to go elsewhere. That's just a lot of talented mouths to feed, and even with Coach K's willingness to play up to 10 guys this season, I can't see him going to 11 or 12 next year.

Of course, there is still time for some of those 3 freshmen to improve their draft resumes and go pro (or just decide to go pro anyway). If 2 of the 3 go, we're back at a 10-man group with probably one of the freshmen bigs getting limited minutes in year one.
    I am sure it has been dealt with above, but I do better when I am sure of the numbers -- not much better, but some better:

2019-2020
    Seniors:
    DeLaurier
    White
    Justin Robinson
    Juniors:
    O'Connell
    Goldwire
    Sophs:
    Tre Jones
    Joey Baker
    Frosh:
    Carey
    Cassius Stanley
    Matthew Hurt
    Wendell Moore
    Supernumeraries:
    Buckmire
    Savarino
    Worthington

That's eleven, not counting the last group. So, the three seniors leave, plus Tre Jones and Vernon Carey. That leaves six.

Now we have six recruited freshmen coming in. That's 12 players -- six returnees with substantial minutes this year and six recruits who naturally expect to play. Sounds like a nice problem to have, as long as I am not the one who has to talk to the Moms and Dads.

Kindly
    Sage
    'Note: This is a "roster" post, not a "starting line-up" post. Enough for one "Submit Reply" button'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am sure it has been dealt with above, but I do better when I am sure of the numbers -- not much better, but some better:

2019-2020
    Seniors:
    DeLaurier
    White
    Justin Robinson
    Juniors:
    O'Connell
    Goldwire
    Sophs:
    Tre Jones
    Joey Baker
    Frosh:
    Carey
    Cassius Stanley
    Matthew Hurt
    Wendell Moore
    Supernumeraries:
    Buckmire
    Savarino
    Worthington

That's eleven, not counting the last group. So, the three seniors leave, plus Tre Jones and Vernon Carey. That leaves six.

Now we have six recruited freshmen coming in. That's 12 players -- six returnees with substantial minutes this year and six recruits who naturally expect to play. Sounds like a nice problem to have, as long as I am not the one who has to talk to the Moms and Dads.

Kindly
    Sage
    'Note: This is a "roster" post, not a "starting line-up" post. Enough for one "Submit Reply" button'
    Yep. Full disclosure to my math, I lumped Robinson in with the "supernumeraries" as he is not a recruited player (scholarship yes, recruit no). We have 10 scholarship recruits this year. We'll almost certainly lose 4 of them (the two other seniors, plus Jones and Carey), possibly as many as 7 (Moore, Stanley, and Hurt are question marks at this point). If all 3 return, we'll have 6 returning scholarship players. So I'm starting from 6, and subtracting down for any early entries or transfers.

We have 6 incoming recruits. So we could have as many as 12 recruited players, up to 9 of whom are/were top-40 recruits. And the three others would be seniors and juniors who are currently in the rotation this year. It's a great problem to have from a single-season coaching perspective. But it does raise the potential for transfer and/or the potential for headache in dealing with egos (and family egos) of those 2-3 who don't see the court.

Now, it may wind up moot if a couple of guys go pro/transfer/ask out of the scholarship commitment. But it will be an interesting next 12 months or so.

If Coach K can thread the needle on this, it would be a real coup in terms of transitioning out of the "one-and-done factory" and back into the long-term program mold without having a serious hiccup on the court. This year appears to have been a perfect year to try to do so given how few teams look really strong.

Minute breakdown for the 2020 12-man rotation!!

PG- Roach 22, Moore 8, Goldwire 6, Steward 4
    SG- Stanley 18, Steward 12, Moore 10
    SF- AOC 14*, Baker 14*, Johnson 10, Stanley 4
    PF- Johnson 18, Brakefield 10, Coleman 6, Hurt 6
    C- Hurt 24, Williams 12, Brakefield 4

So let it be written, so let it be done.

-Jason "*note- this is not 14 minutes each per game... some games Baker will play 22 and AOC 6 and some games AOC plays 22 and Baker 6... that's just how these two roll" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

If Coach K can thread the needle on this, it would be a real coup in terms of transitioning out of the "one-and-done factory" and back into the long-term program mold without having a serious hiccup on the court. This year appears to have been a perfect year to try to do so given how few teams look really strong.
    Don't look at how Duke is recruiting for the Class of 2021. Duke is hard after a ton of one-and-dones, and already has one in hand in AJ Griffin.

It's an interesting situation. Did Coach K and the staff purposefully go after more multi-year players to be prepared for the end of the one-and-done era? Or did the roster turn over so much, so fast, that they found themselves in need of more multi-year players than they had been bringing in recently?

To wit, Grayson Allen is the most recent McDonald's All-American that stayed all 4 years at Duke and played at least one season with Amile Jefferson, Marshall Plumlee, Matt Jones, and Quinn Cook - all were McDonald's All-Americans and all stayed at least 4 years. But who is the next Burger Boy that will be at Duke for more than 2 years? Wendell Moore? Someone next year? I wouldn't put any pies on it.

I believe in the concept that Who stays and Who goes may lie in how far does Duke go this year ?
    See Jones, 2015.
    Just my 2 cents worth

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Pretty sure everybody missed the obvious sarcasm on this one.

BD80 and I can't be the only ones who still remember 2015!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Hey

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

A few of us even remember 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Psst - I think we all got the sarcasm. In fact, my response was tacitly acknowledging the reference to 2015 and 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    A few of us even remember 2001.
    Some of remember further back than that. 🤓

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Minute breakdown for the 2020 12-man rotation!!

PG- Roach 22, Moore 8, Goldwire 6, Steward 4
    SG- Stanley 18, Steward 12, Moore 10
    SF- AOC 14*, Baker 14*, Johnson 10, Stanley 4
    PF- Johnson 18, Brakefield 10, Coleman 6, Hurt 6
    C- Hurt 24, Williams 12, Brakefield 4

So let it be written, so let it be done.

-Jason "*note- this is not 14 minutes each per game... some games Baker will play 22 and AOC 6 and some games AOC plays 22 and Baker 6... that's just how these two roll" Evans

Shouldn't this be some sort of infraction? I thought we had resolved to segregate minutes discussions to their own threads?

At least I had resolved to ...

Really can’t see Stanley returning for another year. He is 20 years old and I think he goes even if he is projected second round.

Hurt is probably 50/50 right now, but if he keeps up his play from the BC game then he is as good as gone.

Wendell might be the only one coming back because he definitely isn’t getting drafted based on his current play. Nor is he seen as having elite athleticism or major potential. Looking forward to having that young man back for at least a couple years. Chris carawell clone!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Really can’t see Stanley returning for another year. He is 20 years old and I think he goes even if he is projected second round.
    This is a common refrain around here but I gotta say, I think his age cuts both ways.

It's like with Wooderson from Dazed and Confused. You can't say, "He's 22 years old. There's no way he'll be hanging out with high schoolers next year!" because it invites the question "Well, what the heck is he doing hanging out with them this year?" I mean, when I found out about Cassius' age, my first reaction was, "Well this guy is in no rush."

yeah, I don't think you can draw Social Security at age 20, can you? I remember feeling pretty young at that age.