Page 82 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 2439
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    While it's nice to see our recruits playing well, it's probably best to not get overexcited just yet. Not trying to be a downer or anything, but it's probably worth pointing out that Marques Bolden, who was a consensus top 20 recruit, averaged 23.6 Points, 10.2 rebounds, and 2.6 blocked shots as a high school senior, and it took him a long time to adjust to playing at the D-1 level.

Hopefully Mark Williams can adjust more quickly (and has MUCH better luck with his health) when he suits up for Duke, but it might be a tad early to declare that he'll be a defensive stud next year.
    And let's hope that Williams or any of our incoming freshmen don't have the early on injuries that Marques had when he got to Duke. GoDuke!

Jeremy Roach drops 27pts, 9rbs and 3asts in a win over Word of God (led by Isaiah Todd)

He was unstoppable getting to the hoop. Clearly taking back that mantle as the best PG in the country. He probably would be top 10 were it not for the ACL injury causing him to miss last year. This kid is a top PG prospect and as good a slasher as Kyrie or Jay Will in HS.

Him and Trevor Keels were unstoppable. If Max Christie isn't committing soon we should really take a look at Keels. He is a lights out scorer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzJ-j1kMhO4

ELTewkCW4AIU1uq.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Jeremy Roach drops 27pts, 9rbs and 3asts in a win over Word of God (led by Isaiah Todd)

He was unstoppable getting to the hoop. Clearly taking back that mantle as the best PG in the country. He probably would be top 10 were it not for the ACL injury causing him to miss last year. This kid is a top PG prospect and as good a slasher as Kyrie or Jay Will in HS.
    Here is a highlight reel of his finishes in the lane last night... he truly has remarkable touch around the bucket.
    https://twitter.com/Samad_Hines/stat...31231097507840
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Here is a highlight reel of his finishes in the lane last night... he truly has remarkable touch around the bucket.
    https://twitter.com/Samad_Hines/stat...31231097507840
    His drives/finishes remind me of Kyrie. From what I've read he isn't nearly the shooter that Irving was in high school.

Really excited at this progress. I have been thinking that Goldwire or even Moore might start the season as our starting PG. But I’m not thinking that so much now...

Some nice footage of the Paul VI/IMG game, with a good chunk of the highlights belonging to Mark Williams and Jeremy Roach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxTTiR6UHkQ

Here's some better quality footage of the Paul VI/Word of God game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzJ-j1kMhO4

I'm not sure I'd compare Roach to Kyrie, with Kyrie being arguably the greatest ball handler ever, and also arguably the greatest finisher in the paint as a small guard ever. You can see in the IMG game how Roach can struggle at the rim against lengthy defenders.

But with that said, Roach looks really good. He's very athletic, and is looking like he's well past the ACL injury from his sophomore season (which is commonly known to take 2 years to regain full health). I think there is a good chance he could be a one and done type of prospect. I think he's quite underrated by the scouting services presently, likely due to the injury. He does not seem to me like a mid 20s type of guy. He should definitely be in the teens or higher.

Also, I really like what I saw from Mark Williams in this game, too. He's definitely more mobile than I thought, and he's got a nice motor, which is probably the most important thing you want from your center.

I think both of these guys will eventually rise in the rankings. Really hope they both stay healthy.
    Last edited by kAzE; 12-09-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Roach looks good in the video but I'll wait to see him in a Duke uniform before comparing him with Kyrie, who I think is the best ball handler I saw at Duke. One thing I liked about Kyrie was his ability to finish with his left hand as easy as his right. Of course Bobby Hurley was no slouch either. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Roach looks good in the video but I'll wait to see him in a Duke uniform before comparing him with Kyrie, who I think is the best ball handler I saw at Duke. One thing I liked about Kyrie was his ability to finish with his left hand as easy as his right. Of course Bobby Hurley was no slouch either. GoDuke!
    Yeah - I completely agree about Kyrie and the left hand. And that was what was most exciting about those video highlights. It looked to me like Roach is comfortable using his left hand to finish at the rim.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Yeah - I completely agree about Kyrie and the left hand. And that was what was most exciting about those video highlights. It looked to me like Roach is comfortable using his left hand to finish at the rim.
    Is Roach amphibious?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Is Roach amphibious?
    No but Yogi and Shackelford were. GoDuke!

There's no comparison IMHO between a freshman Kyrie and a freshman Hurley. Kyrie was completely dominant before his injury and could single handedly take over a game, while it took Bobby until his junior and senior seasons to turn into the player we all remember. I remember him as being a bit out of control freshman year.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    There's no comparison IMHO between a freshman Kyrie and a freshman Hurley. Kyrie was completely dominant before his injury and could single handedly take over a game, while it took Bobby until his junior and senior seasons to turn into the player we all remember. I remember him as being a bit out of control freshman year.
    I agree freshmen Bobby Hurley was no where near Kyrie as a freshman. I think it was Bobby's freshman year that Coach K sat him down to watch video of his play. Play that was not good to say the least. Kyrie was the best ball handler I've seen. To be able to dribble in a crowded lane like he does is simply amazing. We were blessed to have him, even for just what 11 games. He may make some outlandish statements to the media but he's Duke all the way.
    GoDuke!

I agree freshmen Bobby Hurley was no where near Kyrie as a freshman. I think it was Bobby's freshman year that Coach K sat him down to watch video of his play. Play that was not good to say the least. Kyrie was the best ball handler I've seen. To be able to dribble in a crowded lane like he does is simply amazing. We were blessed to have him, even for just what 11 games. He may make some outlandish statements to the media but he's Duke all the way.
    GoDuke!
    I remember Coach K setting Hurley down to watch videos of his pouting, whining and general attitude more than his playing.

But, yes. Kyrie was better as a freshman, although it was a smaller sample size for Kyrie. 🤬

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I remember Coach K setting Hurley down to watch videos of his pouting, whining and general attitude more than his playing.

But, yes. Kyrie was better as a freshman, although it was a smaller sample size for Kyrie. ��
    Hurley helped lead his team to the NCAA championship game as a freshman point guard. Much greater accomplishment than anything Kyrie was able to do at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Hurley helped lead his team to the NCAA championship game as a freshman point guard. Much greater accomplishment than anything Kyrie was able to do at Duke.
    K has stated on several occasions that he thinks Duke would have gone undefeated in 2011 had Irving been healthy all season.

Hurley was a truly great college point guard in 1991, 1992 and 1993. But as a freshman in 1990 he shot 35 percent from the field and established a still-standing ACC record with 166 turnovers.

There's no question in my mind that freshman Kyrie Irving was a better college player than freshman Bobby Hurley. But the contexts are so different that it makes any meaningful discussion virtually meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    K has stated on several occasions that he thinks Duke would have gone undefeated in 2011 had Irving been healthy all season.

Hurley was a truly great college point guard in 1991, 1992 and 1993. But as a freshman in 1990 he shot 35 percent from the field and established a still-standing ACC record with 166 turnovers.

There's no question in my mind that freshman Kyrie Irving was a better college player than freshman Bobby Hurley. But the contexts are so different that it makes any meaningful discussion virtually meaningless.
    I have meaningfully meaningless discussions with my teenage son all the time...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Back to the relevant topic at hand, as mentioned in the 2021 thread Duke has offered Charles Bediako, a top 30ish prospect in 2021 but a strong re-class candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Don't worry. He will grow up and there will be some meaningless discussions. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I dont know where I've been, and I just been there !

Yeah, Hurley shot poorly and had a lot of turnovers as a freshman, but also helped Duke win a lot of games and reach the National Championship game.

He had 288 assists, nearly the most of his 4 seasons (289 the following year) and a career best 67 steals. He was daring on the court, made plays that other guards wouldn't attempt.