Page 77 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 2439
    He is rising quickly in the rankings in his class. Number 40 overall and number 6 center. He could be competing for the starting job if he keeps developing. From what I read, a similar skill set to Williams. But he insists he’s waiting to the spring to make any decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    He is rising quickly in the rankings in his class. Number 40 overall and number 6 center. He could be competing for the starting job if he keeps developing. From what I read, a similar skill set to Williams. But he insists he’s waiting to the spring to make any decisions.
    With no offer does that mean he is a backup plan if Dickinson grows elsewhere? I think we need to have another center on the roster behind Mark Williams for next year.

If Dickinson accepts, he won’t get an offer. I guess that means he’s the backup plan but it doesn’t mean he’s any less of a talent.

I tend to take whatever gets posted to Ball Durham with 2 grains of salt, but it seems clear that Bediako is target for the coaching staff. That doesn't mean that he's going to reclassify to the class of 2020. Duke already has offers out for the class of 2021 and may look at Bediako as the primary center prospect for that class. Still, given the timing with Hunter Dickinson, this one seems to be a fluid situation.

This is not about Duke but certainly relates to 2020 basketball recruiting.

The front page article on NC State recruiting struck me as interesting. It notes that State has signed 5 guys and projects them as having a "solid class." While 2 of the recruits are quite good -- top 50 prospects -- the other 3 are not nearly as well regarded.

Josh Hall - 6-9 PF ranked #42 by 247 - offers from Lou, Fla, Kansas among others
    Cam Hayes - 6-1 PG ranked #47 - offers from Virg, Lou, FSU among others
    Shakeel Moore - 6-1 PG ranked #202 - offers from several Big East schools like Gtown and DePaul as well as lower tier SEC like Ole Miss and Vandy
    Nick Farrar - 6-7 PF ranked #218 - LSU was the only other P5 conference team to offer him
    Ebenezer Dowuona - 6-10 C ranked #283 - schools like Pitt, Auburn, Ga Tech were after him

I'm not saying these guys won't be contributors and I know not every recruit can be top 100... but I'm not really seeing this class as the one that will form the foundation of a team that pulls NC State back into the top tier of the ACC. Just my opinion.

-Jason "worth noting that State is not done recruiting yet... they are still in it for top 40 center Cliff Omoruyi, but the crystal ball says this is a battle between Az State and Kentucky" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Not that anyone should care, but just for the sake of discussion, Duke lost the #1 ranking for the class of 2020 last week, when Kentucky commit Devin Askew reclassified from the class of 2021 to join Kentucky's class of 2020. Kentucky's deep 2020 recruiting class is now equal in number to Duke's, with 6 members:

Terrence Clarke, G/F (#4 on 247Sports)
    BJ Boston, SG (#13)
    Devin Askew, PG (#18)
    Isaiah Jackson, PF (#26)
    Lance Ware, PF (#34)
    Cam'Ron Fletcher, SF (#45)

Duke's class by comparison:

Jalen Johnson, F (#6)
    Jeremy Roach, PG (#21)
    DJ Steward, G (#27)
    Mark Williams, C (#30)
    Jaemyn Brakefield, PF (#39)
    Henry Coleman, F (#41)

I suspect a few of the Duke recruits (Roach, Steward, possibly Brakefield) could move up the rankings throughout this year, so even if we do not end up adding a 7th commit, it's not unlikely that our class ends up at #1 when it's all said and done, but right now, I think I would agree that Kentucky appears to have the top overall class.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Not that anyone should care, but just for the sake of discussion, Duke lost the #1 ranking for the class of 2020 last week, when Kentucky commit Devin Askew reclassified from the class of 2021 to join Kentucky's class of 2020. Kentucky's deep 2020 recruiting class is now equal in number to Duke's, with 6 members:

I suspect a few of the Duke recruits (Roach, Steward, possibly Brakefield) could move up the rankings throughout this year, so even if we do not end up adding a 7th commit, it's not unlikely that our class ends up at #1 when it's all said and done, but right now, I think I would agree that Kentucky appears to have the top overall class.
    That designation means more to their coach than it does to our coach.

Interesting the parallels between the Duke and UK classes. Both coaches are "loading up" on likely multi-year guys relative to other recent recruiting classes.

I love this class for us and the idea that at least three of these guys should be in the rotation down the road as experienced juniors/seniors (Williams, Coleman, Brakefield).

I'm more interested in where the team finishes during the season, not where we are in our recruiting class.

Not sure we hang banners for #1 recruiting classes. More than a few national championships have been won lately by teams that didn't finish #1 in recruiting.

I think this current class is going to be a very good one and hopefully will be in combination with a few kids from last year's class

When are the Boozer off-springs going to infiltrate the Duke recruiting scene ?

I understand that the Dickenson ship has probably sailed. But is it official?

Quote Originally Posted by kcduke75 View Post
    I understand that the Dickenson ship has probably sailed. But is it official?
    No clue. Not looking good at all with all the Duke guys and Jerry Meyer saying Michigan. But I'd wait until Evan Daniels says so. We'd have to hire Dickinson's brother to make Evan Daniels wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    I'm more interested in where the team finishes during the season, not where we are in our recruiting class.

Not sure we hang banners for #1 recruiting classes. More than a few national championships have been won lately by teams that didn't finish #1 in recruiting.

I think this current class is going to be a very good one and hopefully will be in combination with a few kids from last year's class
    Sir, this is a thread about recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post

Terrence Clarke, G/F (#4 on 247Sports)
    BJ Boston, SG (#13)
    Devin Askew, PG (#18)
    Isaiah Jackson, PF (#26)
    Lance Ware, PF (#34)
    Cam'Ron Fletcher, SF (#45)

Duke's class by comparison:

Jalen Johnson, F (#6)
    Jeremy Roach, PG (#21)
    DJ Steward, G (#27)
    Mark Williams, C (#30)
    Jaemyn Brakefield, PF (#39)
    Henry Coleman, F (#41)

As is usually the case, it will matter who returns for each of the two programs. Kentucky is most likely going to lose Ashton Hagans, Tyrese Maxey, Kahlil Whitney, and Nate Sestina (grad transfer). It's not clear yet if EJ Montgomery, Nick Richards, and Immanuel Quickley will return, either. It's not out of the realm of possibility that all 7 of those players could leave via the NBA draft or transfer. If Richards goes, UK might make a major push for Cliff Omoruyi. So if they do end up with the #1 class, the cupboard could be extremely bare.

For Duke, the question is the same - who returns? Goldwire, O'Connell, and Baker seem like good bets to remain. I seriously doubt Tre Jones will be a junior at Duke. Carey is looking more and more like a mid-round or even late lottery pick. But there are questions about Hurt, Moore, and Stanley. I would love for all three of them to return for many reasons. If at least 2 of them come back, I really like the team's chances next season. I'm not sold on Duke as a top 10 team if all 3 depart.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    As is usually the case, it will matter who returns for each of the two programs. Kentucky is most likely going to lose Ashton Hagans, Tyrese Maxey, Kahlil Whitney, and Nate Sestina (grad transfer). It's not clear yet if EJ Montgomery, Nick Richards, and Immanuel Quickley will return, either. It's not out of the realm of possibility that all 7 of those players could leave via the NBA draft or transfer. If Richards goes, UK might make a major push for Cliff Omoruyi. So if they do end up with the #1 class, the cupboard could be extremely bare.

For Duke, the question is the same - who returns? Goldwire, O'Connell, and Baker seem like good bets to remain. I seriously doubt Tre Jones will be a junior at Duke. Carey is looking more and more like a mid-round or even late lottery pick. But there are questions about Hurt, Moore, and Stanley. I would love for all three of them to return for many reasons. If at least 2 of them come back, I really like the team's chances next season. I'm not sold on Duke as a top 10 team if all 3 depart.
    Carey is gone. Athletic big who can shoot. There's a spot for him in nearly any NBA rotation.

Moore is most likely to return of the freshmen as he's very young for a college freshman. Just turned 18. He can stay another year and still enter NBA training camp in 2021 as a teenager.

Stanley is likely gone. He's already 20 years old. He's older than Zion. Even if he's not a guaranteed first rounder, I think he wants to get his pro career started.

Hurt? IDK. Seems to be struggling a bit. Questions about his defense and even what he's best at- shooting. A second year would be great for both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    Carey is gone. Athletic big who can shoot. There's a spot for him in nearly any NBA rotation.

Moore is most likely to return of the freshmen as he's very young for a college freshman. Just turned 18. He can stay another year and still enter NBA training camp in 2021 as a teenager.

Stanley is likely gone. He's already 20 years old. He's older than Zion. Even if he's not a guaranteed first rounder, I think he wants to get his pro career started.

Hurt? IDK. Seems to be struggling a bit. Questions about his defense and even what he's best at- shooting. A second year would be great for both parties.
    We will be losing javin, Jack and Justin and Vernon is almost certain to go. That will deplete our front line for next year and require our new young guys to be ready to contribute at the outset. I too think Cassius and Tre are also highly likely to leave.

It's #TwitterTuesday, and that means Corey Evans of Rivals has a new article. In it, he has a couple of updates on players that have received an offer but are not expected to commit to Duke, Ziaire Williams and Hunter Dickinson.

There are a couple items here I find interesting. For Williams, Evans notes that UNC is seemingly out of scholarships for next year. That contributes to the idea that the young wing will stay out on the West Coast. This is an interesting nugget in the long-running debate some have on this board. Should a team get a commitment from a lower-rated recruit rather than put their hopes in landing a top 10 player? UNC seems to have done just that, using its last remaining scholarship on 4-star wing Donovan "Puff" Johnson rather than hold out hope for Ziaire Williams. We'll see how that pays off for UNC next season. That all might be a moot point if any players unexpectedly leave the program.

For Dickinson, Evans notes that he expected the big man to commit to Michigan this past weekend and still believes he knows where the young center will go. But Dickinson hasn't committed. Duke might be out of the picture, but then again, he hasn't committed. Several Duke insiders made picks on the Crystal Ball for Dickinson to go to Ann Arbor, where his high school girlfriend will be a member of the track and field team next year. None of the Michigan insiders have made their selection. Might there be a final twist in the saga?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    It's #TwitterTuesday, and that means Corey Evans of Rivals has a new article. In it, he has a couple of updates on players that have received an offer but are not expected to commit to Duke, Ziaire Williams and Hunter Dickinson.

There are a couple items here I find interesting. For Williams, Evans notes that UNC is seemingly out of scholarships for next year. That contributes to the idea that the young wing will stay out on the West Coast. This is an interesting nugget in the long-running debate some have on this board. Should a team get a commitment from a lower-rated recruit rather than put their hopes in landing a top 10 player? UNC seems to have done just that, using its last remaining scholarship on 4-star wing Donovan "Puff" Johnson rather than hold out hope for Ziaire Williams. We'll see how that pays off for UNC next season. That all might be a moot point if any players unexpectedly leave the program.

For Dickinson, Evans notes that he expected the big man to commit to Michigan this past weekend and still believes he knows where the young center will go. But Dickinson hasn't committed. Duke might be out of the picture, but then again, he hasn't committed. Several Duke insiders made picks on the Crystal Ball for Dickinson to go to Ann Arbor, where his high school girlfriend will be a member of the track and field team next year. None of the Michigan insiders have made their selection. Might there be a final twist in the saga?
    Thanks DBA - I always appreciate your recruiting updates!

I wondered if everyone realizes that Puff Johnson is the younger brother of Cameron Johnson. I always had the feeling that was the main reason they recruited him, and if he wanted to commit, I would think they felt like they had to embrace it. You know, since they are the only school in the history of college basketball to have a “family atmosphere” among their players/former players.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post

I wondered if everyone realizes that Puff Johnson is the younger brother of Cameron Johnson. ...
    I think the more interesting factoid would be the origin of his name "Puff."

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    You know, since they (UNC) are the only school in the history of college basketball to have a “family atmosphere” among their players/former players.
    Your comment made me laugh 😀.
    And truthfully, UNC does seem to have precisely the arrogant attitude to which you allude. I don’t know why they feel that way— because it’s ludicrous for any school to think such a thing — but they absolutely do.