Page 76 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2439
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dem's the rules. I expect we will get something less than a death sentence.
    I expect a moral equivalency argument from fans of UK and The cheats.

Shoot, I'm not convinced Isaiah Todd wouldn't play center. At many schools he would, as would Brandon Johns, especially if Isaiah Livers (who is a college 4) sticks around for his senior year. We don't have enough data on Howard's commitment to playing bigball to rule out Todd and Johns playing center.

Duke's immediate playing time situation is as attractive as any of these finalists for Dickinson, better than most.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Is it true that there is no heir apparent to Teske on Michigan's roster? Not Davis, who I agree has been a dud. But 6'11" Colin Castelton will be a junior next year. He played a little as a freshman under Beilein (although not very impressively in my opinion) and is slated to take on a bigger role this year. He got 12 minutes in the opener. Castleton will be 2 years in the program ahead of Dickinson, so if Howard develops him this year, it seems like he'd be an obstacle to starting or maybe even major minutes for Dickinson as a freshman.

It's possible that Howard will be a big man-centric coach, but I think a game or two this year is too small a sample to determine that. It could also be that this team is pretty short on proven perimeter shooters/slashers so Teske down low is the best first option.
    If Jon Beilein were still the coach, I'd 100% agree that Castleton is the heir apparent. But in Howard's system I don't think so. Castleton is rail-thin and a guy who likes to score more on the perimeter, and that body limits his projection as a defender and rebounder. I think Howard ideally views Castleton as a guy who can play the 4 in a "twin-towers" lineup and periodically spell the 5 (which is what most expect him to do this year). There was even some speculation during the off-season they might see if he was mobile enough to play the 3 (not gonna happen). So while on paper seeing a 6-11 guy on the roster might overlap with Dickinson, unless Castleton takes a HUGE step forward this year I doubt that'll be the case. If anything he'll be an ideal 3rd big man behind Todd and someone else (maybe Dickinson) able to spell both the 4 and 5.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Shoot, I'm not convinced Isaiah Todd wouldn't play center. At many schools he would, as would Brandon Johns, especially if Isaiah Livers (who is a college 4) sticks around for his senior year. We don't have enough data on Howard's commitment to playing bigball to rule out Todd and Johns playing center.

Duke's immediate playing time situation is as attractive as any of these finalists for Dickinson, better than most.
    Todd has explicitly said he doesn't view himself as a center, but as a stretch 4, and my understanding is that's the role Howard sold him on. Yes, he has the size to play college 5, no doubt. But I'd be shocked if that's the plan, and even more shocked if Dickinson sees Todd as competition for PT.

FWIW, Livers is a guy who can play the 3, and I would imagine that's the plan for him next year. Many Michigan fans think that this year's best Wolverine lineup, especially while Franz Wagner is out, is a twin-towers situation with Teske and the previously mentioned Castleton, with Livers at the 3. Livers is a plus defender and mobile for his size, so more than capable of filling that role.

Going into last year I thought Johns might play as a big, especially in Beilein's system, and there were a couple of games where he ended up doing so out of necessity due to fouls/injury. But he looked like a deer in the headlights in the paint. He's another guy who, despite his body, is more comfortable on the perimeter, and is more naturally either a stretch-4 or a large-3. Again, with Howard's emphasis on more traditional big man play, Johns isn't going to be starting at the 5 unless something major changes.

Again, none of this is to say that these aren't things that Dickinson might think about. But in my mind if a school is selling him on the ability to step onto campus and be the starting "center", in the most traditional sense of the word, Michigan has the best pitch since Mark Williams committed.

Another disclaimer, I know NOTHING about Dickinson's thought process here. I don't know whether early PT/starting is playing a factor in his decision. But just playing things out, if that is at the forefront of his mind there isn't anyone on Michigan's roster next year of the caliber of Wililams to compete with.

And for those who are going to accuse me of dual-allegiances, OF COURSE I WANT HIM AT DUKE! Just trying to keep things realistic and key everyone in on what the "other side" is saying, which as is noted often on the front page is sometimes the best way to judge the trajectory of recruiting.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    If Jon Beilein were still the coach, I'd 100% agree that Castleton is the heir apparent. But in Howard's system I don't think so. Castleton is rail-thin and a guy who likes to score more on the perimeter, and that body limits his projection as a defender and rebounder. I think Howard ideally views Castleton as a guy who can play the 4 in a "twin-towers" lineup and periodically spell the 5 (which is what most expect him to do this year). There was even some speculation during the off-season they might see if he was mobile enough to play the 3 (not gonna happen). So while on paper seeing a 6-11 guy on the roster might overlap with Dickinson, unless Castleton takes a HUGE step forward this year I doubt that'll be the case. If anything he'll be an ideal 3rd big man behind Todd and someone else (maybe Dickinson) able to spell both the 4 and 5.
    Maybe you're right and Howard sees Castleton as a 4 in a twin towers lineup, ideally. If that's the case, then, I would expect to see him in that role THIS year next to Teske, with Livers sliding to the 3 as you indicate he is cut out for. I didn't see the App State game, but in the highlights I did not see the two big guys playing together. Maybe that's coming, but it is something to watch and see how Howard sees Castleton fitting in and in what role and playing next to what type of players.

A big reason that I was unimpressed with Castleton last year was the fact that he was so thin. Just doesn't have the pop-out muscles. Now I just checked and some sites have him at 235 pounds. Another has him at 210 still. If he's at 235, I would think that would change things. A guy who is 6'11" and 235 pounds should certainly be able to hold his position down low at the college level.

Who knows how this will work out. But if Dickinson is comparing competing for major minutes with a fellow freshman in Mark Williams, albeit a higher ranked one than he is, vs. a junior in Castleton who has been used as a college center (spelling Teske but not playing alongside him), and who has played reasonably well, I'm not sure that would be an obvious, clear-cut choice.

I am surprised that there is not some mention of A. J. Griffin committing on the Board. Is there any chance that he will enter school a year early?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    I am surprised that there is not some mention of A. J. Griffin committing on the Board. Is there any chance that he will enter school a year early?
    There is a dedicated thread...

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...ke-AJ-Griffin!

But it’s down to page 4 because, you know, we’re back to the minutes discussions and what not.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Todd has explicitly said he doesn't view himself as a center, but as a stretch 4, and my understanding is that's the role Howard sold him on. Yes, he has the size to play college 5, no doubt. But I'd be shocked if that's the plan, and even more shocked if Dickinson sees Todd as competition for PT.

FWIW, Livers is a guy who can play the 3, and I would imagine that's the plan for him next year. Many Michigan fans think that this year's best Wolverine lineup, especially while Franz Wagner is out, is a twin-towers situation with Teske and the previously mentioned Castleton, with Livers at the 3. Livers is a plus defender and mobile for his size, so more than capable of filling that role.

Going into last year I thought Johns might play as a big, especially in Beilein's system, and there were a couple of games where he ended up doing so out of necessity due to fouls/injury. But he looked like a deer in the headlights in the paint. He's another guy who, despite his body, is more comfortable on the perimeter, and is more naturally either a stretch-4 or a large-3. Again, with Howard's emphasis on more traditional big man play, Johns isn't going to be starting at the 5 unless something major changes.

Again, none of this is to say that these aren't things that Dickinson might think about. But in my mind if a school is selling him on the ability to step onto campus and be the starting "center", in the most traditional sense of the word, Michigan has the best pitch since Mark Williams committed.

Another disclaimer, I know NOTHING about Dickinson's thought process here. I don't know whether early PT/starting is playing a factor in his decision. But just playing things out, if that is at the forefront of his mind there isn't anyone on Michigan's roster next year of the caliber of Wililams to compete with.

And for those who are going to accuse me of dual-allegiances, OF COURSE I WANT HIM AT DUKE! Just trying to keep things realistic and key everyone in on what the "other side" is saying, which as is noted often on the front page is sometimes the best way to judge the trajectory of recruiting.
    Okay, but that would make 6'8" Wagner the SG even though Eli Brooks is already the SG this year, and Michigan is bringing in Zeb Jackson to replace Xavier Simpson at PG, and David DeJulius is a 4-star sophomore PG that played 28 minutes in the first game.

It just seems like a lot of guys will have to play down a position in order for Dickinson to be the sure-thing starting center. Quite frankly, PG Jackson- SG Brooks- SF Wagner - PF Livers - C Todd is a good-looking starting lineup and probably how many coaches would play it. It may very well be how Juwan Howard ends up playing it if/when the bigball experiment collapses.

I do understand that you're only relaying what the Michigan coaches are selling (and hopefully believing, at least at this point).

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Okay, but that would make 6'8" Wagner the SG even though Eli Brooks is already the SG this year, and Michigan is bringing in Zeb Jackson to replace Xavier Simpson at PG, and David DeJulius is a 4-star sophomore PG that played 28 minutes in the first game.

It just seems like a lot of guys will have to play down a position in order for Dickinson to be the sure-thing starting center. Quite frankly, PG Jackson- SG Brooks- SF Wagner - PF Livers - C Todd is a good-looking starting lineup and probably how many coaches would play it. It may very well be how Juwan Howard ends up playing it if/when the bigball experiment collapses.

I do understand that you're only relaying what the Michigan coaches are selling (and hopefully believing, at least at this point).
    Believe it or not, Wagner IS expected to be a tall SG. Despite his family name he is a perimeter player, and played on the wing primarily in Germany. He’s a deadeye three point shooter.

Also, both Eli Brooks and David DeJulius (currently on the roster) will play off the ball this year with Simpson, but they’re both natural point guards. DeJulius was one of the top PGs in the state when he came out. Ideally one of them steps up this year to start next year at PG, since from what I’ve read Jackson is more of a combo guard.

I agree with you that the 2020 roster you outlined would be pretty damn solid. But I doubt that’s Howard’s Plan A. That would likely involve Todd at the 4, Livers at the 3, Wagner at the 2. Yes that’s a big lineup, but that’s where those guys’ skill sets make the most sense.

But let’s not hijack this thread with a discussion of Michigan’s future lol.

But let’s not hijack this thread with a discussion of Michigan’s future lol.
    Horse, barn door and all that.

Happy Signing Day! The Duke commits for the Class of 2020 are expected to sign their National Letters of Intent during the early signing period, which begins today.

Various tweets have confirmed that Henry Coleman, Jalen Johnson, Jeremy Roach, DJ Steward, and Mark Williams are scheduled to sign today.

A rumor on an Ole Miss recruiting board suggested that Jaemyn Brakefield was having second thoughts and might not sign with Duke. That was silly on its face as Brakefield took an unofficial visit to Duke just this past weekend to take in the home opener. He also tweeted out that rumors that he is having second thoughts are false (and used a blue heart and lock emoji). Eric Bossi of Rivals had a chat with Brakefield in which he had the following to say about the matter:

For the past 72 hours, rumors have been swirling that top 40 forward Jaemyn Brakefield's commitment could be shaky to Duke. In particular, Ole Miss was popping up as a program he could potentially flip to.

Rivals.com was in contact with the skilled 6-foot-9 scorer from Huntington (W.V.) Prep on signing day he said that it "was just a rumor going around."

Brakefield confirmed that he still plans to sign with Duke and that he should have his signing plans finalized shortly. If you are looking for signing day drama, looks like you will have to look elsewhere.
    Brakefield is on a team with several D1 prospects, including Isaiah Cottrell (West Virginia), AJ Hoggard (Michigan State), and Zach Loveday (Baylor). My assumption is that the school is working on a coordinated signing event or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Happy Signing Day! The Duke commits for the Class of 2020 are expected to sign their National Letters of Intent during the early signing period, which begins today.

Various tweets have confirmed that Henry Coleman, Jalen Johnson, Jeremy Roach, DJ Steward, and Mark Williams are scheduled to sign today.

A rumor on an Ole Miss recruiting board suggested that Jaemyn Brakefield was having second thoughts and might not sign with Duke. That was silly on its face as Brakefield took an unofficial visit to Duke just this past weekend to take in the home opener. He also tweeted out that rumors that he is having second thoughts are false (and used a blue heart and lock emoji). Eric Bossi of Rivals had a chat with Brakefield in which he had the following to say about the matter:

Brakefield is on a team with several D1 prospects, including Isaiah Cottrell (West Virginia), AJ Hoggard (Michigan State), and Zach Loveday (Baylor). My assumption is that the school is working on a coordinated signing event or something like that.
    Duke mbb has posted pictures of Jalen Johnson and Henry Coleman signing today. Don’t know about the others.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Duke mbb has posted pictures of Jalen Johnson and Henry Coleman signing today. Don’t know about the others.
    I see only secondhand info on Jeremy Roach signing. Nothing official. DukeMBB Twitter has retweeted the following from DJ Steward and Mark Williams:

DJ Steward @swipasnipa

It’s official Duke Nation!! #TheBrotherhood 🙏🏽✍🏽💙

2:24 PM - 13 Nov 2019

Mark Williams @MarkWi1liams

Can’t wait!! @DukeMBB 😈✍🏾#TheBrotherhood

3:00 PM - 13 Nov 2019

And finally a 2-day delay for Jaemyn Brakefield:

Jaemyn Brakefield @Jaemyn1

I will be signing my NLI Friday November 15th at St. Joseph Central Catholic High School @ 2:30pm! Open to everyone.. 😁💙

4:11 PM - 13 Nov 2019

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I see only secondhand info on Jeremy Roach signing. Nothing official.
    Credit to @UpdateDuke, but s/he posted a pic on the Twitter dot com of Roach with his parents signing his LOI yesterday, so that's a done deal.

Only outstanding commit to sign, as you mentioned, is Jaemyn who has set a signing date of tomorrow.

Another number one recruiting haul in Durham, ladies and gentlemen.

Are there some rumblings that Kuminga could be a late addition to this class based on NBA departures and officially reclassifying?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Are there some rumblings that Kuminga could be a late addition to this class based on NBA departures and officially reclassifying?
    He is not reclassifying: https://clutchpoints.com/2021-no-1-o...ent-wide-open/

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    And finally a 2-day delay for Jaemyn Brakefield:

Jaemyn Brakefield @Jaemyn1

I will be signing my NLI Friday November 15th at St. Joseph Central Catholic High School @ 2:30pm! Open to everyone.. 😁💙

4:11 PM - 13 Nov 2019
    DBR is seriously slacking off if it needs me to provide recruiting updates. As I previously reported in DBR Chat -- an exclusive! -- Jaemyn Brakefield made it official and signed with Duke earlier today.

UK picks up Isiah Jackson. They have #1 recruiting class for now.

Sounds like K and crew have their eye a possible reclass candidate for 2020... 6’11” 220lb Charles Bediako. No offer from Duke yet but sounds like he’s open to the concept of reclassifying. He turns 18 in March.

https://balldurham.com/2019/11/16/du...iece-2020/amp/
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Sounds like K and crew have their eye a possible reclass candidate for 2020... 6’11” 220lb Charles Bediako. No offer from Duke yet but sounds like he’s open to the concept of reclassifying. He turns 18 in March.

https://balldurham.com/2019/11/16/du...iece-2020/amp/
    Intriguing prospect. I didn’t think we needed another recruit, but assuming Carey goes pro next Spring, looks like he could provide needed depth in the post.