Page 7 of 122 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm not sure Anderson ever had an offer. Huff did not. Curiously, in that class Huff went from Durham to Charlottesville, while Javin DeLaurier went from Charlottesville to Durham.

Duke did very much want Willie Dersch, who was in Carrawell's class.
    Right. I'm not sure about Anderson either (which is why I worded my post to say we recruited him, not that he received an offer). He committed to UVA during his junior year, so it might have been before he got an offer from Duke. We also recruited Huff, although per his dad Duke got involved late in the process, after Jay was pretty much locked into UVA. If your point is that neither was really a major recruiting battle for Duke, I would agree.

Anderson originally committed to Maryland but re-opened after Gary Williams retired.

One of the top Duke prospects, Brandon Boston, Jr., was playing at the Hoophall Classic over the weekend in Springfield, MA. If you scroll down a bit, there's a nice scouting report and video on Boston. There are other reports, too, including Anthony Edwards, Armando Bacot, and many of the top juniors and seniors in high school. Boston is Brandon Ingram-thin but the kid can shoot the ball. He has NBA range and can shoot off the dribble or with a stepback. His release is super quick, too, among the fastest I've seen. It's like Luke Kennard if Luke had chopsticks for arms. Boston is a shooting guard in college and the NBA at 6'6." If he grows a few more inches and adds any amount of weight, he could be a truly elite recruit with multi-positional defensive skills. Boston is one of the top priorities for Duke for the Class of 2020.

https://www.masslive.com/expo/sports...rom-event.html

2020 5-star Center Walker Kessler is going to take an official visit to Duke on February 1st and will be in attendance for the St. John's game.

Kessler is a stretch 5, a kid listed at somewhere between 6'10" and 7'0" tall. He can shoot the ball from 3, block shots, has a reasonable handle and fairly smooth for his size. He's got a lot of work to gain strength to match his agility. He's no Ryan Kelly, but the need to improve the legs and core strength is real. But he is only a junior.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    2020 5-star Center Walker Kessler is going to take an official visit to Duke on February 1st and will be in attendance for the St. John's game.

Kessler is a stretch 5, a kid listed at somewhere between 6'10" and 7'0" tall. He can shoot the ball from 3, block shots, has a reasonable handle and fairly smooth for his size. He's got a lot of work to gain strength to match his agility. He's no Ryan Kelly, but the need to improve the legs and core strength is real. But he is only a junior.
    And he's Grayson Allen's doppelganger

1fd82fc4ef629e0c2894d5d47a98bd94841fea37.jpg

6. Boston kid upside is through the roof. Now we know why Goldwire got a scholly.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebballcamper90-91 View Post
    Boston kid upside is through the roof. Now we know why Goldwire got a scholly.
    Maybe! Norcross produces several high major recruits each year. Rayshaun Hammonds and JoJo Toppin at Georgia and Lance Thomas at Louisville are current alums of Norcross playing in High Major Division I teams. Back in the day, Al-Farouq Aminu of Wake Forest was from Norcross. You have to love their high school mascot.

I'm really high on Boston. He's got an exceptionally high ceiling. He, along with Jalen Johnson and Walker Kessler, would form a talented trio at Duke.

According to some recruiting services (and Kessler himself), he's considering reclassing to the 2019 class.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    According to some recruiting services (and Kessler himself), he's considering reclassing to the 2019 class.
    Can he play point guard?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Maybe! Norcross produces several high major recruits each year. Rayshaun Hammonds and JoJo Toppin at Georgia and Lance Thomas at Louisville are current alums of Norcross playing in High Major Division I teams. Back in the day, Al-Farouq Aminu of Wake Forest was from Norcross. You have to love their high school mascot.

I'm really high on Boston. He's got an exceptionally high ceiling. He, along with Jalen Johnson and Walker Kessler, would form a talented trio at Duke.
    Yikes! Hope they’re paying royalties!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Yikes! Hope they’re paying royalties!

-jk
    I would be happy to waive all royalties in exchange for Boston signing with us!

Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    And he's Grayson Allen's doppelganger

1fd82fc4ef629e0c2894d5d47a98bd94841fea37.jpg
    Doesn’t he look more like Ted Cruz? 😀

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Doesn’t he look more like Ted Cruz? 😀
    Standing on Grayson Allen's shoulders?

Can he reclassify to 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Can he reclassify to 2019?
    Why would we want him to do that? Another center isn’t what next year’s team needs.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Why would we want him to do that? Another center isn’t what next year’s team needs.
    Did you miss the coaching staff try to go for Stewart??????

Can argue if Stewart was the 4 or if it would be Carey, but don't act. And there have been pretty public rumblings that Bolden might move on next year to another program (although Adam and John have been pretty miss on predicting what Bolden will do).

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Did you miss the coaching staff try to go for Stewart??????

Can argue if Stewart was the 4 or if it would be Carey, but don't act. And there have been pretty public rumblings that Bolden might move on next year to another program (although Adam and John have been pretty miss on predicting what Bolden will do).
    Two counterpoint:
    1. Stewart is a better prospect than Kessler
    2. Stewart has the athleticism to potentially play the 4 defensively, whereas Kessler does not

I could see Carey and Stewart sharing the floor defensively. I cannot see Carey and Kessler sharing the floor defensively.

So, no, I'd not rather see Kessler reclassify if he chooses us.

I think Kessler is right on the edge of 1 and done or not. What he could potentially do is reclass, redshirt a year to work on his body (technically his HS senior year), play a year and be done.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    I think Kessler is right on the edge of 1 and done or not. What he could potentially do is reclass, redshirt a year to work on his body (technically his HS senior year), play a year and be done.
    There would be a lot of advantages to this for any borderline OAD:
    • Gets to work for two years with the GOAT every day
    • Practices with NBA level talent every day
    • Gets world class training in the weight room, nutrition, etc.
    • Is better prepared for his OAD year
    • I assume gets education in all the things a future NBA paer might need (communications, media, financials, etc.)
    • On the same timeline, is two years or more towards a college degree

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    There would be a lot of advantages to this for any borderline OAD:
    • Gets to work for two years with the GOAT every day
    • Practices with NBA level talent every day
    • Gets world class training in the weight room, nutrition, etc.
    • Is better prepared for his OAD year
    • I assume gets education in all the things a future NBA paer might need (communications, media, financials, etc.)
    • On the same timeline, is two years or more towards a college degree
    This makes a LOT of sense (for certain kids)!