Page 67 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2439
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I would say the 2020 class is looking as close to a dream class as we've seen in quite some time - at least a "dream class" for those wanting to focus less on One-And-Done. With 5 guys in the fold already spanning every position save maybe a true center, we have excellent versatility. And we have mostly targeted cuspy guys on the 4-5 star border, the obvious exception being Jalen Johnson who is almost undoubtedly a OAD.

Now, 2 or 3 of the recruits not named Johnson are good enough that they could ratchet into a OAD. There's some talk of Steward coming on recently. Roach is coming off an ACL which clouds his trajectory a bit. But generally speaking, we probably only have one surefire OAD in the 2020 class at this time which is a refreshing (in my view) departure from our recent classes which were more top heavy.

Lastly on 2020, we have 2 more offers outstanding hoping to round out that big man position. Both project as multi-year players as well. So assuming one of those two hits, we will have an extremely well rounded class that looks to form the foundation of our team for at least 2 years and maybe longer. Very nice. Plus we may look for another OAD stud to reclassify from 2021 to 2020 (Kuminga has been the speculation, although recent rumors aren't backing that up) which would truly make this class an incredible combination of huge (7 or 8 players), balanced (every position), powerful (2 OADs with additional possible), and foundational (at least 3 likely returning players ranked higher than 50).

Nirvana. If that sort of thing is your jam.

Turning to 2021, the picture is still cloudy as it often is at this early stage. Kuminga, as the top ranked player in the class, is considered the primary target by most. But he's the primary target for basically any top coach with a pulse. There's also been an awful lot of chatter about forward Paolo Banchero and wing Patrick Baldwin. We reportedly have offers out to Max Christie and AJ Griffin as well. As is often the case, our targets for 2021 appear very top heavy again, which can lead one to wonder if 2020 is a blip rather than a recruiting philosophy change. But it's early so it's possible the 2021 recruiting landscape evolves to look more like this year. But I doubt it, frankly, as my view is 2020 was a one-off and we will always generally shoot for the cream of the crop.

So in summary I'd say 2020 is looking fantastic assuming we land at least one of the two big man we have extended offers. If we get both and/or a reclass like Kuminga it may be a truly exceptional class if not the most top-end talented. For 2021 it's too early to tell, but there is no cause concern and looks like business as usual for K and staff.

Hope that helps.

- Chillin
    That’s helpful and agree it’s a deep class with 4 year players (although recent history would suggest a few of them transfer after a year or two). Would be nice to have one more “star” to round things out a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I would say the 2020 class is looking as close to a dream class as we've seen in quite some time - at least a "dream class" for those wanting to focus less on One-And-Done. With 5 guys in the fold already spanning every position save maybe a true center, we have excellent versatility. And we have mostly targeted cuspy guys on the 4-5 star border, the obvious exception being Jalen Johnson who is almost undoubtedly a OAD.

Now, 2 or 3 of the recruits not named Johnson are good enough that they could ratchet into a OAD. There's some talk of Steward coming on recently. Roach is coming off an ACL which clouds his trajectory a bit. But generally speaking, we probably only have one surefire OAD in the 2020 class at this time which is a refreshing (in my view) departure from our recent classes which were more top heavy.

Lastly on 2020, we have 2 more offers outstanding hoping to round out that big man position. Both project as multi-year players as well. So assuming one of those two hits, we will have an extremely well rounded class that looks to form the foundation of our team for at least 2 years and maybe longer. Very nice. Plus we may look for another OAD stud to reclassify from 2021 to 2020 (Kuminga has been the speculation, although recent rumors aren't backing that up) which would truly make this class an incredible combination of huge (7 or 8 players), balanced (every position), powerful (2 OADs with additional possible), and foundational (at least 3 likely returning players ranked higher than 50).

Nirvana. If that sort of thing is your jam.

Turning to 2021, the picture is still cloudy as it often is at this early stage. Kuminga, as the top ranked player in the class, is considered the primary target by most. But he's the primary target for basically any top coach with a pulse. There's also been an awful lot of chatter about forward Paolo Banchero and wing Patrick Baldwin. We reportedly have offers out to Max Christie and AJ Griffin as well. As is often the case, our targets for 2021 appear very top heavy again, which can lead one to wonder if 2020 is a blip rather than a recruiting philosophy change. But it's early so it's possible the 2021 recruiting landscape evolves to look more like this year. But I doubt it, frankly, as my view is 2020 was a one-off and we will always generally shoot for the cream of the crop.

So in summary I'd say 2020 is looking fantastic assuming we land at least one of the two big man we have extended offers. If we get both and/or a reclass like Kuminga it may be a truly exceptional class if not the most top-end talented. For 2021 it's too early to tell, but there is no cause concern and looks like business as usual for K and staff.

Hope that helps.

- Chillin
    Thank you, Chillin, THAT is what I was looking for! The opinions and evaluations on this board are always excellent.
    Thanks again.
    3rd

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    Thank you, Chillin, THAT is what I was looking for! The opinions and evaluations on this board are always excellent.
    Thanks again.
    3rd
    Chillin wrote an almost perfect post about current recruiting efforts for both the classes of 2020 and '21. One thing I will add is that it looks pretty good between Duke and Mark Williams, at least according to the Crystal Ball. He's set to visit next weekend and make a college decision on November 1st.

After that, Duke will want to see what Hunter Dickinson decides following his official visit this past weekend. He's another center and, like Williams, a multi-year guy with upside to develop into an NBA player down the line. We'll likely know more about how his visit went in the next couple of days.

I expect that, if Dickinson decides to go elsewhere, Duke will keep tabs on other center options for the spring signing period, either through reclass, a new name emerging, or maybe even the elusive grad transfer. As it stands, Duke does not have a center or even a burly PF on the roster for next season. I seriously doubt they want to go into the year with just Mark Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Chillin wrote an almost perfect post about current recruiting efforts for both the classes of 2020 and '21. One thing I will add is that it looks pretty good between Duke and Mark Williams, at least according to the Crystal Ball. He's set to visit next weekend and make a college decision on November 1st.

After that, Duke will want to see what Hunter Dickinson decides following his official visit this past weekend. He's another center and, like Williams, a multi-year guy with upside to develop into an NBA player down the line. We'll likely know more about how his visit went in the next couple of days.

I expect that, if Dickinson decides to go elsewhere, Duke will keep tabs on other center options for the spring signing period, either through reclass, a new name emerging, or maybe even the elusive grad transfer. As it stands, Duke does not have a center or even a burly PF on the roster for next season. I seriously doubt they want to go into the year with just Mark Williams.
    From what I read, both Williams and Dickinson are significantly more developed defensively than they are offensively. Is that your assessment?
    Any idea as to when Dickinson might commit? Is he a potential "burly PF"?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    From what I read, both Williams and Dickinson are significantly more developed defensively than they are offensively. Is that your assessment?
    Any idea as to when Dickinson might commit? Is he a potential "burly PF"?

Thanks.
    I am not an expert in these things, but Williams is considered the better rim protector and rebounder than offensive contributor at this point in time. Dickinson is considered a better offensive center with a variety of post moves and a good hook shot. Dickinson has more limited footspeed to stay in front of smaller, quicker players or change ends of the court as well as Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I am not an expert in these things, but Williams is considered the better rim protector and rebounder than offensive contributor at this point in time. Dickinson is considered a better offensive center with a variety of post moves and a good hook shot. Dickinson has more limited footspeed to stay in front of smaller, quicker players or change ends of the court as well as Williams.
    Interesting. Thanks. They would seem to be quite a complementary pairing. I hope we get them both.

I did not see it mentioned elsewhere in this thread but Hunter Dickinson had a couple brief comments to Zagsblog after his CTC visit.

“It was nice,” Dickinson told ZAGSBLOG Sunday via text. “[They’re message] is to come in and play a lot right away. What’s next is just try to keep narrowing it down.”
    -Jason "strange to see Duke talking playing time... I feel like we rarely hear about K using playing time as a carrot in recruiting" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I did not see it mentioned elsewhere in this thread but Hunter Dickinson had a couple brief comments to Zagsblog after his CTC visit.

-Jason "strange to see Duke talking playing time... I feel like we rarely hear about K using playing time as a carrot in recruiting" Evans
    Interesting.

I think at this point they have to pitch playing time. Who else (other than Williams, potentially) would he be competing with? Easily 10-15 minutes minimum for him to take as a Freshman.

I think Dickinson and Williams would be a great multi year combo.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Interesting.

I think at this point they have to pitch playing time. Who else (other than Williams, potentially) would he be competing with? Easily 10-15 minutes minimum for him to take as a Freshman.

I think Dickinson and Williams would be a great multi year combo.
    Not only does there appear to be an opportunity for playing time for big men but “Come in and play a lot right away” could have been lost in translation and be the more familiar pitch of “you have a chance to come in and compete for a lot of playing time right away”.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    Not only does there appear to be an opportunity for playing time for big men but “Come in and play a lot right away” could have been lost in translation and be the more familiar pitch of “you have a chance to come in and compete for a lot of playing time right away”.
    Very true... especially because Dickinson's comment was not from an interview, it was merely a text message. Not a lot of room for nuance in a situation like that.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Everyone seemed convinced a couple days ago Cade Cunningham was going to shock OKSt and pick Kentucky, but nothing is official yet and Cunningham may have thrown cold water on all that speculation today when he posted an Instagram message where he implied he was picking a school but then left the name of the school blank.

Hmmmmm.

Everyone seemed convinced a couple days ago Cade Cunningham was going to shock OKSt and pick Kentucky, but nothing is official yet and Cunningham may have thrown cold water on all that speculation today when he posted an Instagram message where he implied he was picking a school but then left the name of the school blank.

Hmmmmm.
    Swipe right. He seems to be calling out the people who say they have “inside scoop” on his decision process and just says he’s forever committed to his hometown of Arlington, TX. Or maybe I really am stupid when it comes to all this social media stuff. My 13 yr old certainly thinks I am...

Anyway, maybe this means Evan Daniels is finally wrong? Or he’s just trying to preserve some sense of surprise and anticipation. I just hope it doesn’t end up being the cheats.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Swipe right.
    Are you sure it’s okay to do that?

Hmmmmm.
    That was beautiful. This kid has talent. At social media, at least.

Swipe right. He seems to be calling out the people who say they have “inside scoop” on his decision process and just says he’s forever committed to his hometown of Arlington, TX. Or maybe I really am stupid when it comes to all this social media stuff. My 13 yr old certainly thinks I am...

Anyway, maybe this means Evan Daniels is finally wrong? Or he’s just trying to preserve some sense of surprise and anticipation. I just hope it doesn’t end up being the cheats.
    That post come off as cringe worthy to me. He's either desperately trying to pretend like he hasn't already committed to Kentucky so he can have his moment, or he's just really desperate for attention.

Maybe a little of both. People don't usually go so far out of their way to try to debunk false rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    People don't usually go so far out of their way to try to debunk false rumors.
    Well, this "false rumor" would seem to impact his brother's job security so I could see him wanting to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    That post come off as cringe worthy to me. He's either desperately trying to pretend like he hasn't already committed to Kentucky so he can have his moment, or he's just really desperate for attention.

Maybe a little of both. People don't usually go so far out of their way to try to debunk false rumors.
    Paolo Banchero just put folks in their place, too...

https://balldurham.com/2019/10/23/du...mors-kentucky/
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Great find!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Maybe Big Blue just stepped in it? Lose a recruit because of rumor mongering?

In case you are wondering, here's what Mark Williams looks like in a Duke uniform. In a possibly related move, a few Duke twitter accounts are also saying things like "Duke got a verbal commitment" without mentioning a specific recruitment. It makes you think...