Page 54 of 122 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2439
    how about Dawson Garcia? 6'10 from Prior Lake, Minn. Has a very nice offer list. https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...-garcia-208758

maybe he just liked roy/unc better...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    how about Dawson Garcia? 6'10 from Prior Lake, Minn. Has a very nice offer list. https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...-garcia-208758
    Would love to see us try to get involved. He did recently cut his list to 7, so who knows if he's amenable to adding more teams back on.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Nah, 2020 is a lifetime away. At this time a year ago we thought Hurt was a long shot as everyone had him slated for Kansas. Two years ago we had no idea that Zion was coming. The year before was the same with Bagley.
    Well, three months and a week or so.

Bagley was a quick recruitment. But Duke had been recruiting Williamson and Hurt for a long time. Duke needs two guys who can play the 5 next season. Williams is one of those, Coleman is not. He's a combo forward. A reclass could happen but otherwise Duke is going to have to get heavily involved with someone--or several someones-who they had previously kept at arm's length.

It can happen. It's Duke after all. Duke kept Amile Jefferson at arm's length for a long time but Jefferson was patient and it worked out well for all concerned.

But it's also pretty common to hear a recruit acknowledge that they picked the school that had been recruiting them the longest. That's not going to be the case with Dickinson, Foster, Dawson or anyone else from the discard pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    ESPN (Draft Express) has Hurt mocked as a lottery pick (ESPN Insider $$$): https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...ns-next-season

He's almost certainly OAD.

My daughter just began working with Matthew's uncle in Rochester so maybe I can get some inside information: I'll try at any rate.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    maybe he just liked roy/unc better...
    As the saying goes, "There's no accounting for taste." Some people like BBQ, grits, hush puppies, and peach cobbler. And some really weird people don't. It takes all kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Well, three months and a week or so.

Bagley was a quick recruitment. But Duke had been recruiting Williamson and Hurt for a long time. Duke needs two guys who can play the 5 next season. Williams is one of those, Coleman is not. He's a combo forward. A reclass could happen but otherwise Duke is going to have to get heavily involved with someone--or several someones-who they had previously kept at arm's length.

It can happen. It's Duke after all. Duke kept Amile Jefferson at arm's length for a long time but Jefferson was patient and it worked out well for all concerned.

But it's also pretty common to hear a recruit acknowledge that they picked the school that had been recruiting them the longest. That's not going to be the case with Dickinson, Foster, Dawson or anyone else from the discard pile.
    ooooh, someone's going to jump on your "discard pile" term, but not me...I do think, however, I'd call it "the we choose not to recruit you further at this time pile." And now it just happens to be another time.

Very solid Devil’s Den podcast breaking down the 2020 class including signees, high priority targets and next level targets.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000451116412

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ooooh, someone's going to jump on your "discard pile" term, but not me...I do think, however, I'd call it "the we choose not to recruit you further at this time pile." And now it just happens to be another time.
    If these guys were all about a certain school, they would be moving towards the early signing period. But they haven't. Some recruits wait to see how the chips fall and then make their move. It's not a bad strategy, to be honest.

In other recruiting news, apparently the CHeats are going all-in on the OAD model. After previously landing #17 Day'Ron Sharpe and this week stealing #15 Walker Kessler from us, they are in tremendous shape with #21 Caleb Love who just cut everyone from his list except for the CHeats and hometown Missouri, canceled all remaining visits and said he would be announcing soon, and picked up a Crystal ball pick for the CHeats from Evan Daniels. They are also reported to be in great shape with #12 Isaiah Todd, who was down to UK and the CHeats and has reportedly cooled on UK. Furthermore, UNC is HEAVILY pursuing #5 Ziaire Williams (who has visited them twice in the past week) and even #2 Cade Cunningham who was previously thought to be a lock for OSU after they hired his brother, but his family claims that his recruitment is still open. They are also involved (as are we) with two 2021 prospects who may reclassify - Paolo Banchero and Jonathan Kumingo (sp.)

What does this all mean? Is Roy on the verge of bringing in a monster class? Can we laugh at all our UNC friends who have spent the past five years telling us that anyone who would build their class around OAD's doesn't care about education and has no honor? Will we actually have the more experienced team next season, for the first time in ages? Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    As the saying goes, "There's no accounting for taste." Some people like BBQ, grits, hush puppies, and peach cobbler. And some really weird people don't. It takes all kinds.
    Please stay on topic...any discussion about BBQ should be kept in the Duke vs Ky thread.

In other recruiting news, apparently the CHeats are going all-in on the OAD model.
    Good, I hope you’re right.

In other recruiting news, apparently the CHeats are going all-in on the OAD model. After previously landing #17 Day'Ron Sharpe and this week stealing #15 Walker Kessler from us, they are in tremendous shape with #21 Caleb Love who just cut everyone from his list except for the CHeats and hometown Missouri, canceled all remaining visits and said he would be announcing soon, and picked up a Crystal ball pick for the CHeats from Evan Daniels. They are also reported to be in great shape with #12 Isaiah Todd, who was down to UK and the CHeats and has reportedly cooled on UK. Furthermore, UNC is HEAVILY pursuing #5 Ziaire Williams (who has visited them twice in the past week) and even #2 Cade Cunningham who was previously thought to be a lock for OSU after they hired his brother, but his family claims that his recruitment is still open. They are also involved (as are we) with two 2021 prospects who may reclassify - Paolo Banchero and Jonathan Kumingo (sp.)

What does this all mean? Is Roy on the verge of bringing in a monster class? Can we laugh at all our UNC friends who have spent the past five years telling us that anyone who would build their class around OAD's doesn't care about education and has no honor? Will we actually have the more experienced team next season, for the first time in ages? Stay tuned...

The last thing I'll be doing if they bring in four, five, or six 5-star recruits is laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    The last thing I'll be doing if they bring in four, five, or six 5-star recruits is laughing.
    I’ll be laughing when many — if not all — of them leave UNC after their freshman year. Actually, some of them will probably leave in late March and early April. Not the slightest bit worried. I hope they get them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’ll be laughing when many — if not all — of them leave UNC after their freshman year. Actually, some of them will probably leave in late March and early April. Not the slightest bit worried. I hope they get them all.
    As we've seen first-hand, having a team full of five-stars bring with it tremendous pressure and its share of downsides. Plenty of upside too. There's also the question of whether Roy is actually capable of coaching a team full of OAD's. We have seen no evidence that he is.

The reason I would be laughing is that I live and work among many UNC fans who have spent the past five or so years bragging about how Roy would never stoop so low as to start a team full of freshmen, how only a school that doesn't care about education would recruit OAD players, and how Duke fans care more about recruiting rankings than winning games. So I'll be laughing my butt off when they try to backtrack now that they're doing the same thing.

As we've seen first-hand, having a team full of five-stars bring with it tremendous pressure and its share of downsides. Plenty of upside too. There's also the question of whether Roy is actually capable of coaching a team full of OAD's. We have seen no evidence that he is.

The reason I would be laughing is that I live and work among many UNC fans who have spent the past five or so years bragging about how Roy would never stoop so low as to start a team full of freshmen, how only a school that doesn't care about education would recruit OAD players, and how Duke fans care more about recruiting rankings than winning games. So I'll be laughing my butt off when they try to backtrack now that they're doing the same thing.
    Love it. 👍🏻

One caveat. UNC has recruited a some one and dones over the years, but very few of them have been done in one year.

These kids could be there for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    One caveat. UNC has recruited a some one and dones over the years, but very few of them have been done in one year.

unc never stopped recruiting OADs (as their fans would like to think), they simply failed to get many of them to commit.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

Rudimentary math then suggests that there will be transfers or many fewer OADs thereafter.
    Unless they redefine the meaning of the BS degree.. ahem. (or in Tar Heeleze BAh).

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Rudimentary math then suggests that there will be transfers or many fewer OADs thereafter.
    Unless they redefine the meaning of the BS degree.. ahem. (or in Tar Heeleze BAh).

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Exactly. There is no magic formula for recruiting OAD-type players year after year and somehow keeping them longer than expected while simultaneously keeping them happy. UNC will struggle with it the same way as Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, et al.
    Last edited by Steven43; 09-26-2019 at 09:17 AM.