Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I'm super curious to see what names emerge as targets for the coaching staff in the frontcourt. Simply put, there are no frontcourt players on the projected roster after the 2019-20 season. Marques Bolden, Javin DeLaurier, and Jack White will all be gone and, unless something drastic happens, Vernon Carey, J. is a one-and-done. The closest thing Duke might have to a frontcourt player on the current roster is Joey Baker, an undersized stretch-4.

Duke is actively pursuing Jalen Johnson, a 6'8" forward from Wisconsin. By all accounts, he is an elite talent capable of playing that Tatum/Ingram stretch-4 role and even facilitating the offense some. I'd be interested to see if Isaiah Todd, a 6'10" forward that recently moved to the Raleigh area also receives an offer. If Dickinson is a multi-year player, it would be great to see him emerge as a target. Notre Dame appears very interested in him. DeMatha is a Catholic school, after all. Then again, Coach K takes communion, too.
    Mike Brey attended DeMatha and returned to begin his coaching career there under Morgan Wooten before joining K's staff at Duke in 1987. Current sophomore forward DJ Harvey, former guard Jerian Grant, and one of Brey's associate head coaches are also DeMatha alumni.

Duke is not foreign to DeMatha, either - Danny Ferry is an alum and Quinn Cook started off there before transferring to Oak Hill. I know nothing about Todd or his recruitment specifically, but Brey and ND bball have deep ties to DeMatha. That being said, if Todd has moved on from DeMatha and is highly ranked enough to be on Duke's radar, those ties may not carry the day for the Irish.

Corey Evans of Rivals has a quick Q&A and update on top 2020 target Jalen Johnson. Evans describes Johnson, a 6'8" forward as a "positionless player" that could handle anywhere from 1 through 4. Sounds like a Duke kind of player!

Duke expressed early interest in Johnson, a native of Milwaukee. The interest appears mutual. I found the pitch from UCLA - we can get you out of here in 9 months! - odd, if pragmatic. Johnson looks like he will announce in the early signing period or shortly thereafter.

As a playmaking forward with a good jumper, I see Johnson as a Jayson Tatum or Jabari Parker stretch 4 at Duke that could play alongside anyone.

Evan DanielsVerified account @EvanDaniels 56m56 minutes ago
    Duke is expected to evaluate five-star wing BJ Boston (https://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-Boston-Jr-22628/ …) on Saturday, his father tells @247Sports. No. 10 in the 247Sports Composite.

Corey Evans of Rivals had a write-up from City of Palms on Tuesday and had a lot to say about Scottie Barnes. The junior had a triple double in just 26 minutes of action with 13 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, and 3 blocks. He's a multi-positional player that can facilitate, play all over, and guard nearly anyone on that court. At 6'8" and a wingspan of 7'3", he's got the size and skill to go anywhere. Coach K and staff have probably seen a lot of Barnes as he is a teammate of Vernon Carey, Jr. on the AAU circuit. Apparently, Duke is one of several schools recruiting the young man.

Both Barnes and Jalen Johnson appear to have complimentary skills. Johnson is the more natural scorer and shooter, but both freely share the ball and have similar size and ability to guard multiple positions. I would think having two dynamic, multi-positional playmakers on the roster at the SF/PF position would be a great tandem and starting point for the 2020-21 roster. I'm also really high on Brandon Boston, the Top 10 super skinny shooting guard. I'd like to see Duke get a class of Boston, Barnes, Johnson, and a center or two.

Article on zagsblog... Sharife Cooper's dad said that they'd like to visit Duke sometime soon. Are we definitely recruiting him?

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Article on zagsblog... Sharife Cooper's dad said that they'd like to visit Duke sometime soon. Are we definitely recruiting him?
    Duke not listed on 247 or ESPN or among the 12 schools listed on Rivals.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Duke has offered Walker Kessler, 7 footer 5* from GA

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    https://247sports.com/Player/Walker-Kessler-46047954/

Good Lord, how many basketball playing offspring does Ted Cruz have?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    https://247sports.com/Player/Walker-Kessler-46047954/

Good Lord, how many basketball playing offspring does Ted Cruz have?
    Looks linda like NC State's Tommy Burleson to me.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Looks linda like NC State's Tommy Burleson to me.
    The "Pinball Wizard?"

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

He is the nephew of Alec Kessler, who was a star at UGA and NBA lottery pick. I remember Alec being recognized as a star student - after playing in the NBA he became a doctor though I forgot until just doing some googling that he died at age 40 of a heart attack. Walker's dad also played at UGA so I'm guessing they will be very tough to beat.

Poor reading comprehension and eyesight fail me:

I saw 7 foot 5"

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    He is the nephew of Alec Kessler, who was a star at UGA and NBA lottery pick. I remember Alec being recognized as a star student - after playing in the NBA he became a doctor though I forgot until just doing some googling that he died at age 40 of a heart attack. Walker's dad also played at UGA so I'm guessing they will be very tough to beat.
    Depends on how good he really is. If he is nearly NBA-ready as a freshman, he should come to Duke -- and I expect he would. The level of basketball is so much higher that it is an immediate benefit. If he needs a couple of years, I guess it is a closer call.

BTW, with respect to staying home, whatever happened to the HS senior cry, "I am am so outta here!!" Or was it just me?
    Sage Grouse

Walker Kessler

Not saying that Walker is not a very fine player, but I saw him foul the same player shooting a three pointer from the same corner spot twice in a short span of the same game(Adidas AAU Uprising Nationals Tournament, Orange County, CA in July 2018).
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Not saying that Walker is not a very fine player, but I saw him foul the same player shooting a three pointer from the same corner spot twice in a short span of the same game(Adidas AAU Uprising Nationals Tournament, Orange County, CA in July 2018).
    Then, what are you saying?

Quote Originally Posted by devilseven View Post
    Then, what are you saying?
    He's a 16/17 year old kid that made a very unusual basketball play(/mistake), that's entirely correctable and doesn't define his skills/potential/basketball IQ or worthiness to receive a Duke offer. My comment was simply an observation of plays that don't typically occur in the course of most basketball games. Sorry if it sounded sarcastic or snarky to anyone. Let's go, Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Alec Kessler was my age and we played basketball against each other a little bit growing up in Atlanta. By "played against each other" I mean that I was on the same floor as him and just tried not to get dunked on too viciously.

Alec's brother Chad is a few years older than me and Alec. Both brothers became orthopedic surgeons after their basketball careers. Alec was a lot lot lot better than Chad, but Chad still played fairly well for UGA and gave the NBA a shot or two before going the medical school route.

Chad's oldest son, Houston Kessler, played basketball against my oldest son in high school and Houston went on to play for UGA, though he was just an invited walk-on, who rarely played much. He was a real team leader though, he was on all these student-athlete councils and committees. I am certain the family has tremendous ties to UGA and my gut says it will take a lot to get Walker to go anywhere but the Bulldogs. But, if he wants to make a name for himself in college and play on a potential championship team, he's going to have to go elsewhere. It will be interesting to see if family loyalty will trump basketball ambition and the lure of fame. I could see Walker trying to see if some other stud 2020 kids want to join him at UGA... if none do, he might be convinced to head elsewhere.

-Jason "as evidenced by the medical degrees and Houston's leadership role on campus, education does appear to mean a lot to the Kessler family" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Alec Kessler was my age and we played basketball against each other a little bit growing up in Atlanta. By "played against each other" I mean that I was on the same floor as him and just tried not to get dunked on too viciously.

Alec's brother Chad is a few years older than me and Alec. Both brothers became orthopedic surgeons after their basketball careers. Alec was a lot lot lot better than Chad, but Chad still played fairly well for UGA and gave the NBA a shot or two before going the medical school route.
    Quite a family it seems, and I remember Kessler at Georgia.

On a related note, 6-7 Lyman Smith, the former Duke / Minnesota DE or DT also became an orthopedic surgeon after a pro career. He was in fact on my Raleigh Y league mens basketball team for a couple of seasons (very competitive league at the time) and he diagnosed a quad problem I had by watching my play deteriorate over a period of weeks during these games. Interesting guy. BIIG DUDE.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Chad's oldest son, Houston Kessler, played basketball against my oldest son in high school and Houston went on to play for UGA, though he was just an invited walk-on, who rarely played much. He was a real team leader though, he was on all these student-athlete councils and committees. I am certain the family has tremendous ties to UGA and my gut says it will take a lot to get Walker to go anywhere but the Bulldogs. But, if he wants to make a name for himself in college and play on a potential championship team, he's going to have to go elsewhere. It will be interesting to see if family loyalty will trump basketball ambition and the lure of fame. I could see Walker trying to see if some other stud 2020 kids want to join him at UGA... if none do, he might be convinced to head elsewhere.

-Jason "as evidenced by the medical degrees and Houston's leadership role on campus, education does appear to mean a lot to the Kessler family" Evans

In his third season at Marquette Tom Crean won 26 games, and in his fourth season at IU Crean won 27 games. Crean helped to develop Victor Oladipo(no. 144 recruit as a high school senior) and was one of only three coaches to offer D. Wade a college scholarship. He is very driven and knows what he's doing, and it seems likely that UGA will be very competitive in the SEC and nationally in the near future. UGA has already had home game sellouts against Arizona State and UMass so far this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    In his third season at Marquette Tom Crean won 26 games, and in his fourth season at IU Crean won 27 games. Crean helped to develop Victor Oladipo(no. 144 recruit as a high school senior) and was one of only three coaches to offer D. Wade a college scholarship. He is very driven and knows what he's doing, and it seems likely that UGA will be very competitive in the SEC and nationally in the near future. UGA has already had home game sellouts against Arizona State and UMass so far this season.
    Crean was a good hire for Georgia, but the team has a looong way to go to really be relevant to top tier recruits. They are hovering around the top 100 in KenPom and are nowhere near the top half of the SEC. In fact, there is a decent chance they will finish last in the conference this year. We are talking about a 2020 recruit, so the question is if Crean can get them to a point where they look really viable for a top ten player by the fall/winter of next year (unless Kessler decides to wait until spring to sign, which is increasingly rare). I think that seems like a tall order for him.

-Jason "making the NIT would be a nice goal for GA this year... does Kessler really want to go to a school where the NIT is an ambition?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?