Page 40 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If so, they could be the class of the Pac 12.
    Which ain’t sayin’ much lately. 😁

Anyone else think it's a little"unfair" to hire an asst. coach and suddenly sign the coach's highly ranked son? Think of recent Ok State hire and past Ks hire (Manning).

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Anyone else think it's a little"unfair" to hire an asst. coach and suddenly sign the coach's highly ranked son? Think of recent Ok State hire and past Ks hire (Manning).
    Me: that’s not fair? Do you know what I am about to say?

My daughter, eye roll implied, but not included: life is not fair.

Exeunt stage left.

It's wildly unfair, done regularly, and difficult to prove the motivation behind (though some of these instances are clearer than others).

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It's wildly unfair, done regularly, and difficult to prove the motivation behind (though some of these instances are clearer than others).
    Minor quibble but I don’t think it’s unfair. It’s unseemly but it would only be unfair if the option was only available to a few schools. Any school can hire a player’s parent. Did LSU hire Press Maravich because he was a great coach or because his son was Pistol Pete? There’s no way to either know or to police it. Nowadays if a player is really good, you’re only getting him for one year anyway so the advantage is minimized.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Minor quibble but I don’t think it’s unfair. It’s unseemly but it would only be unfair if the option was only available to a few schools. Any school can hire a player’s parent. Did LSU hire Press Maravich because he was a great coach or because his son was Pistol Pete? There’s no way to either know or to police it. Nowadays if a player is really good, you’re only getting him for one year anyway so the advantage is minimized.
    I feel like we had this discussion recently on another thread, but I'll take it...

Where's the line between "come to my school and I will hire your dad," "come to my school, we have a friend with a job waiting for your mom," and "come to my school, here's a sack of money for your parents?"

Talk about helicopter parents. Can you imagine!

In the OAD environment, tough to see how any player is worth it. And it's certainly not a long-term recruiting strategy. Seems more like a gimmick for desperate programs/coaches. One that I'd wager will not meet expectations more often than not.

Unless there are TWO sons.

It’s only unfair if the parent has no qualifications for the position

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    It’s only unfair if the parent has no qualifications for the position
    Eric Mobley played 3 years in the NBA and has been an AAU coach for 11 years. He seems pretty reasonably qualified. I too have no problem with USC doing this. It will be interesting to see how long Eric Mobley sticks around on the staff after his kids are gone.

-Jason "Ed Manning followed Larry Brown from the Kansas to the NBA and was a scout for the Spurs for a while... but even Brown admitted that he initially only hired Ed to get Danny" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Eric Mobley played 3 years in the NBA and has been an AAU coach for 11 years. He seems pretty reasonably qualified. I too have no problem with USC doing this. It will be interesting to see how long Eric Mobley sticks around on the staff after his kids are gone.

-Jason "Ed Manning followed Larry Brown from the Kansas to the NBA and was a scout for the Spurs for a while... but even Brown admitted that he initially only hired Ed to get Danny" Evans
    Right, that’s why I have no trouble with Mobley being hired. The whole process is somewhat unseemly but not anything that bothers me enough to get riled up...

"Just Win Baby" is a quote for which way too much emphasis is applied.

Sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Unless there are TWO sons.
    Good Point. Tre Jones’ father should be assistant coach and Perky Plumlee should be Athletic Director. We got 2 championships from the Plumlees 12 Seasons and hopefully Tre will Pull the Joneses even with a second championship in 3 seasons.

Good Point. Tre Jones’ father should be assistant coach and Perky Plumlee should be Athletic Director. We got 2 championships from the Plumlees 12 Seasons and hopefully Tre will Pull the Joneses even with a second championship in 3 seasons.
    If you're going to count the Plumlees's 12 seasons (despite overlap), then you need to credit them with three championships (despite overlap). So we are averaging one championship for every 4 years a Plumlee plays.

For the Joneses, we are currently averaging one championship for every 2 years played.

This may be a sensitive subject on a Duke board, but it's not unreasonable to wonder about Tom Butters' decision to hire a lightly regarded Michael Krzwkyszhshiki to coach Duke when we all know it was laying the groundwork for his recruitment of Michael Savarino, who is soon to win 4 consecutive national championships for his underprepared grandpa.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    This may be a sensitive subject on a Duke board, but it's not unreasonable to wonder about Tom Butters' decision to hire a lightly regarded Michael Krzwkyszhshiki to coach Duke when we all know it was laying the groundwork for his recruitment of Michael Savarino, who is soon to win 4 consecutive national championships for his underprepared grandpa.
    Why is no one talking about this?

Not sure where to put this, but the front page has a story about a New Jersey kid named Wheeler who is going to Italy instead of transferring for a senior year at the Patrick School. I was curious. I’d guessed that the school must be a basketball powerhouse, but I’d never heard of it. From the web site, its team has been plenty good. They had a McDonald’s A-A last year, and they once had a backcourt of Kyrie and Kidd-Gilchrist.

Sort of. The Newark diocese closed the school in June 2012. Parents and staff from the closed school reopened it 3 months later at a different location but a similar name. St. Patrick’s to The Patrick School.

When the school closed, their basketball coach, Kevin Boyle, landed at Monteverde.

Kyrie goes back regularly and plays with the guys. It’s one Celtic team he’ll play for. He even renovated the school gym and weight room (well, Nike did it, but Kyrie directed it).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._...l_(New_Jersey)
    http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/...ways-a-celtic/

And of course, in 1997 Coach K hired Johnny Dawkins as an assistant coach in hopes of someday landing his then 2-year old son Aubrey. Unfortunately, that didn't work out as planned. Or perhaps it goes further back and Coach K recruited Johnny D as a player in 1982 solely in hopes of landing his yet-to-be conceived offspring.

Or perhaps Vic Bubas recruited Jay Buckley as part of the master plan to help his successor, Coach K, land Clay Buckley?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Or perhaps Vic Bubas recruited Jay Buckley as part of the master plan to help his successor, Coach K, land Clay Buckley?
    An that was with 3 intervening coaches! How prescient.

When the school closed, their basketball coach, Kevin Boyle, landed at Monteverde.
    Seeing someone mention Monteverde gives me an excuse to talk about how much I want to see Monteverde play Sierra Canyon this coming year. They both seem to be putting together truly legendary high school teams. It is highly likely that each of these teams has 3-5 lottery picks playing for them this year... maybe more!

Monteverde
    Sr: Cade Cunningham - PG, 2020 #2 player
    Sr: Scottie Barnes - PF, 2020 #9 player
    Sr: Moses Moody - SG, 2020 #24 player
    Sr: Day'Ron Sharpe - C, 2020 #34 player
    So: Caleb Houstan - PF, 2022 #4 player
    So: Dariq Whitehead - SG, 2002 #7 player

Sierra Canyon
    Sr: Zaire Williams - SF, 2020 #6 player
    Sr: BJ Boston - SF, 2020 #7 player
    Sr: Zaire Wade - PG, DWade's son with offers from Miami and Michigan St.
    So: Terren Frank - PF, 2020 #43 player
    So: Amari Bailey - SG, 2022 #6 player
    Fr: Lebron James, Jr.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?