Page 34 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I thought this happened several weeks ago.
    Didn't it only kind of happen? I thought he listed his final 5 (excluding Georgia), but then in a recorded interview he said something on the order of, "yeah, I've got my final 5, but it's maybe more like 6..."

So the answer may be a bit gray.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Didn't it only kind of happen? I thought he listed his final 5 (excluding Georgia), but then in a recorded interview he said something on the order of, "yeah, I've got my final 5, but it's maybe more like 6..."

- Chillin
    If I recall correctly, Kessler was quoted in an interview discussing a final 5 or 6. That list included Auburn, Duke, Gonzaga, Michigan, and UNC. It turns out the 6th is Cal. He announced his Final 6 on twitter.

If I were a betting man, the money would be moving towards Duke or Auburn on this one with Michigan as a dark horse. The personnel/style of play does not bode well for UNC. Gonzaga already has about 6 big men in its mix, including 3 or 4 current freshmen. Cal is a bit of an odd inclusion. It's too soon to tell if Michigan will be a serious contender for talent with new head coach Juwon Howard. I am expecting a season with many losses after the Wolverines lost their three best players to the NBA this offseason. And it is too soon to tell if Howard is going to be a good coach. I won't bet against him, but it's just too early.

That leaves Auburn and Duke. Bruce Pearl has proven yet again that he can really coach and team. Unfortunately, he has also proven yet again that controversy follows him around. The school was just notified of findings of violations from the NCAA. That's got to scare a player and their family to a certain extent. And despite the jokes on here that we make at UNC expense (more than deserved), the other schools on Kessler's list are all academically oriented. Michigan and Cal among the most elite public universities in the nation and world. Duke is the private school with an excellent educational reputation.

Based on positional fit and other factors, this looks like a good situation for Duke. It's no guarantee, but it does look good. I hope that the young man enjoys his next visit to campus this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

- Chillin
    I guess this makes official what has been rumored for several weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I guess this makes official what has been rumored for several weeks.
    That college bball recruiting operates in a world of gray?

- Chillin

While I am aware it happened, I am just stunned that Kessler has eliminated Georgia from his list.

I want you to think on this for a moment... This would be like Tyus Jones having 2 kids. The first child follows his father and uncle to Duke. Then, the second son -- who appears the best basketball player of any of them -- announces that not only is he not going to go to Duke, but Duke did not even make his top 6 schools.

To be clear, Walker Kessler probably grew up attending UGA football and basketball games at least a dozen times a year. He probably has UGA posters on his wall and jerseys in his closet.

-Jason "I'm just floored that UGA didn't even make his final 5... wow" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    While I am aware it happened, I am just stunned that Kessler has eliminated Georgia from his list.

I want you to think on this for a moment... This would be like Tyus Jones having 2 kids. The first child follows his father and uncle to Duke. Then, the second son -- who appears the best basketball player of any of them -- announces that not only is he not going to go to Duke, but Duke did not even make his top 6 schools.

To be clear, Walker Kessler probably grew up attending UGA football and basketball games at least a dozen times a year. He probably has UGA posters on his wall and jerseys in his closet.

I am also very surprised by him cutting UGA from his list, given the very deep family ties that he has there. But the analogy to the Jones brothers at Duke doesn't really work here. A better analogy would be if two brothers were stars at Duke for football (the best I could do off the top of my head is Kyler and Kelby Brown, but that doesn't work that well) and one of their kids didn't choose Duke for football, instead considering schools like Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. Most of the schools he is considering are pretty far ahead of UGA in basketball, without sacrificing academics either. So his list sacrifices his family ties for a better basketball situation, which is not that crazy (but I agree, it is still surprising).

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I am also very surprised by him cutting UGA from his list, given the very deep family ties that he has there. But the analogy to the Jones brothers at Duke doesn't really work here. A better analogy would be if two brothers were stars at Duke for football (the best I could do off the top of my head is Kyler and Kelby Brown, but that doesn't work that well) and one of their kids didn't choose Duke for football, instead considering schools like Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. Most of the schools he is considering are pretty far ahead of UGA in basketball, without sacrificing academics either. So his list sacrifices his family ties for a better basketball situation, which is not that crazy (but I agree, it is still surprising).
    I think that is generally true except for including Auburn on his list. While they did just make the Final Four, they are hardly an established basketball power, and lost a lot of talent from their 2018-19 squad. And they are a fierce conference rival of Georgia, at least in football, and probably a notch down from UGA academically as well. That has to hurt for Dawg fans.

Yup, your analogy may be better, though it is worth noting that the Kessler father (Chad) and uncle (Alec)were pretty big stars for the Dawgs and Alec was an All-American who went on to be the #12 pick in the NBA draft. This family is legend in the UGA world, so a bit more than the Browns are at Duke.

It is also worth noting that this recruitment is happening immediately on the heels of Tom Crean landing Anthony Edwards from Atlanta, who is almost certainly the highest regarded recruit in UGA history. For Crean to follow that up by failing to even really get in the conversation for Kessler... well, it is a sobering message to UGA fans, I'd say.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Maybe you guys are overthinking this. Maybe Kessler finds Crean to be as creepy as many of us do.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/1/15...ball-marquette

Yeah, I know this link is from a Kintucky site, but you don't have to dig too far to find lots of evidence that some kids don't want to play for this guy, no matter where dad went to school.

And having the Joneses live in NC!

Let me quote the 17 YO Sage Grouse -- "I AM SO OUT OF HERE!!" -- when there were serious suggestions that I remain home and attend college in South Carolina.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Maybe you guys are overthinking this. Maybe Kessler finds Crean to be as creepy as many of us do.

Yeah, I know this link is from a Kintucky site, but you don't have to dig too far to find lots of evidence that some kids don't want to play for this guy, no matter where dad went to school.
    Ding, ding, ding.

I didn't even read your link (can't stomach going to a UK site) but this was my take all along. Crean does creep me out a bit. I think it might be the spray tan.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

his sister said no to UGA. Went to LSU instead. Volleyball player. Beautiful, too. So his family has a lot history at UGA but not attached at the hip.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Ding, ding, ding.

I didn't even read your link (can't stomach going to a UK site) but this was my take all along. Crean does creep me out a bit. I think it might be the spray tan.
    It turns out it wasn't even a UK generated story, and it was carried by the Georgia site...I share your UK aversion, but I did determine they didn't write the article...

I just spoke to a family member who is a UGA grad and keeps his finger on the pulse in Athens. His take fwiw:

The Kessler family was upset with UGA when they fired Mark Fox. Walker’s older brother, Houston, played for Fox at UGA from 2013-17. The family liked Fox, who gave Houston a chance when not a lot of other major programs did. (Also, apparently many fans thought he gave Houston too much playing time given his production, but I guess that’s a separate matter)

It’s more an issue of loyalty to Fox; not dislike of Crean.

And as far as the issue of Walker adding Cal to his list, the new coach at Cal is ... Mark Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I just spoke to a family member who is a UGA grad and keeps his finger on the pulse in Athens. His take fwiw:

The Kessler family was upset with UGA when they fired Mark Fox. Walker’s older brother, Houston, played for Fox at UGA from 2013-17. The family liked Fox, who gave Houston a chance when not a lot of other major programs did. (Also, apparently many fans thought he gave Houston too much playing time given his production, but I guess that’s a separate matter)

It’s more an issue of loyalty to Fox; not dislike of Crean.

And as far as the issue of Walker adding Cal to his list, the new coach at Cal is ... Mark Fox.
    Good info. But I don't think Walker can go to Cal because he'll be too far away from mom's biscuits, or whatever . Hopefully he sees the merits of a brief stop in Durham.

Good info. But I don't think Walker can go to Cal because he'll be too far away from mom's biscuits, or whatever . Hopefully he sees the merits of a brief stop in Durham.
    not to mention at cal, he'd be as visible as a uncheat athlete in class lol

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    not to mention at cal, he'd be as visible as a uncheat athlete in class lol
    D1 basketball players do tend to stick out in a typical college class, especially when everyone stands up.

Somebody at Cal must be going to class, however, at least enough that the school’s overall ranking in the world is #6, wedged between such sports factories as Oxford and Princeton.

https://cwur.org/2018-19.php

I just read one the story on one of our recruits which mainly consisted of him saying what a great player he is. Does anybody ever tell these kids how bad this sounds (even if they really are a great player) ?

Duke extended an offer to Ziaire Williams, a top-10 wing/small forward who has been on the rise. Plays for Sierra Canyon which will have a really loaded team including Lebron’s kid. Cassius Stanley went there and I believe Bagley did as well.

https://twitter.com/therealziaire/st...989915648?s=21