Page 31 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
    Ryan Kelly got 1500+/1600 on his SATs. Wendell could have gone to Harvard.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Everyone misses class in a 1-, 2-, 3-, or 4-year college career. Missing class =/= skipping class.

I suspect Coach K and his coaching staff/academic staff keeps tabs on his players' classroom attendance, but I also suspect that somewhere along the line, there are some skipped classes. Sorry if that sounds unnecessarily argumentative...I agree with your premise, just want to point out the difference between missing class and skipping class. There are plenty of reasons a collegiate athlete would have to miss class, and they're typically afforded a more flexible schedule to accommodate their other obligations.
    No apology necessary - I agree with and understand the distinction. And particularly during the spring, the bball players are absent from campus quite a bit and, as such, are unable to attend class.

I was pushing back against the idea that Coach K would *never* allow a recruit to skip class. Bball players do (or at least did while I was there) skip class periodically, just like virtually every other student on campus. Skipping the occasional class is part of the college experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    ... Bball players do (or at least did while I was there) skip class periodically, just like virtually every other student on campus. Skipping the occasional class is part of the college experience.
    I would suggest not. Major revenue sport athletes are supervised FAR more than the average college student. The coaching staff knows when a player misses a class, and there are repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by kcduke75 View Post
    Who do you think will be our next recruit to make a decision and do you think he join the Brotherhood?

Hate to lose our awesome momentum, especially compared to the beginning of 2019 recruiting.
    Different circumstances, I'd say. Here, we're coming off all the publicity of the Zion season, and the freshman class seemed to really enjoy playing at Duke and with each other and was very vocal about it. I'm not surprised that we're hot right now. In contrast, after the 2017-18 season, certain players and/or their parents weren't full of praise for Duke, with the signing of Bagley and building around him seemingly being a point of contention, which may have contributed to the relatively slow start with 2019 recruiting. Then again, maybe it's just coincidence. In any case, glad we're past that, and I expect 2020 to be an amazing class when it's all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I would suggest not. Major revenue sport athletes are supervised FAR more than the average college student. The coaching staff knows when a player misses a class, and there are repercussions.
    The exception being Roy Williams, who by his own words did not know what courses or non-courses his players were taking: no classes; no lectures no prerequisites for a senior level course, even for freshmen. Probation from the accreditation agency for UNC.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The exception being Roy Williams, who by his own words did not know what courses or non-courses his players were taking: no classes; no lectures no prerequisites for a senior level course, even for freshmen. Probation from the accreditation agency for UNC.
    If there was no class, were his players missing class?

Indeterminate. For some courses his players were neither attending nor missing class. (Nevertheless, per the SACS, any student in the fraudulent courses are to be allowed to take replacement courses for free at any time).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Well, I wouldn't say they were "missing" class.

(Apologies to Office Space)

Trees, sounds and the woods, huh.

For some courses his players were neither attending nor missing class.
    Schrödinger's Heel?

Or notice when his players parked different rental cars all year long outside the practice facility. Or when a player, whom they threw under the bus but then needed to graduate for their APR numbers, was living the high life, so to speak, in one of his houses. Or when DeShawn Stevenson traveled from California to North Caroline to improve about 700 points on his SAT. Or ...

I believe Roy did know all about what his players were doing when he was talking with parents of recruits. Then plausible deniability enters.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I believe Roy did know all about what his players were doing when he was talking with parents of recruits. Then plausible deniability enters.
    We have vastly different definitions of "plausible."

I believe the Peach Jam, in North Augusta,SC. Starts tomorrow. Anyone dropping by ?

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Ryan Kelly got 1500+/1600 on his SATs. Wendell could have gone to Harvard.
    anyone could go to harvard in the amaker era. that's not saying much. 1050 SAT and a 3.0 would get you in.

We have vastly different definitions of "plausible."
    I think ours might be similar. The NCAA has a different one.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    anyone could go to harvard in the amaker era. that's not saying much. 1050 SAT and a 3.0 would get you in.
    You're saying I have a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    No, he's saying that if you had a great shot, you had a great shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    No, he's saying that if you had a great shot, you had a great shot.
    "I'm not givin' away my shot..."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I believe the Peach Jam, in North Augusta,SC. Starts tomorrow. Anyone dropping by ?
    I thought I remembered reading several months ago that with the new recruiting calendar imposed by the NCAA, the Peach Jam wasn’t going to happen anymore and would instead be replaced by regional camps run by USA basketball. Am I dreaming?