Page 24 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I think bigperm13 means that calling the school "Okie State" is derogatory the way calling Duke "[wanker filter]" is here. (It took me a while to figure this out, maybe because I was born with straight hair.)
    Yes. "State" or "OSU" or "Oklahoma State," but not "Okie" anything.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yes. "State" or "OSU" or "Oklahoma State," but not "Okie" anything.
    I hope I'm still allowed to enjoy the great Merle Haggard and one of his underappreciated, misunderstood, clever songs - "Okie From Miscogi"

One of my best friends from high school, now also an old guy, is a professor at Oklahoma State. I'll have to ask him his thoughts on the use of the term "Okie". Like me, he's from Chicago and relatively thick skinned so I'm curious what he thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I hope I'm still allowed to enjoy the great Merle Haggard and one of his underappreciated, misunderstood, clever songs - "Okie From Miscogi"

One of my best friends from high school, now also an old guy, is a professor at Oklahoma State. I'll have to ask him his thoughts on the use of the term "Okie". Like me, he's from Chicago and relatively thick skinned so I'm curious what he thinks.
    Well, one thing -- it's Muskogee.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Is Okie Dokie OK?

I wish I could blame autocorrect but ... it's me

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Is Okie Dokie OK?

Do I have a reputation for being pedantic? Well, it's time to start:

From phrases.org

This little phrase is a variant of okay. It is 20th century American and first appears in print in a 1932 edition of American Speech.

There are several alternative spellings - okay-doke, okey-doke, okee-doke, etc. In addition to these is the comic version that has brought the phrase back to popular attention in recent years - The Simpson's Ned Flanders' 'okely-dokely'.
    Maybe there is a problem with "Okie."
    Sage Grouse

Do I have a reputation for being pedantic? Well, it's time to start:

From phrases.org

This little phrase is a variant of okay. It is 20th century American and first appears in print in a 1932 edition of American Speech.

There are several alternative spellings - okay-doke, okey-doke, okee-doke, etc. In addition to these is the comic version that has brought the phrase back to popular attention in recent years - The Simpson's Ned Flanders' 'okely-dokely'.

Maybe there is a problem with "Okie."
    So, if I'm following your logic (LaFue: "A dangerous thing … ." Gaston: "I know.") …

We could call an OSU grad an "Okee," but not an "Okie?"

Hey, you threw down the pedantic gauntlet ...

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

Can certainly still enjoy Okie. Ole Hag’s got a cool one for your Chicago friend too. Love that telecaster...R.I.P. Merle.

https://youtu.be/VNWe39bfXXU

If we combine Virginia Tech and Oklahoma State, can we have a Hokie-Pokie Okie Dokie?

It's a big brother/little brother superiority thing more than anything involving OU. Ever called or seen someone else call OU the Okie University Sooners or Okie U? Nope and nope. If it's not that big of a deal take off the wanker filter for d**k. But, this isn't a big deal as it's a Duke message board and I was just trying to make a point (plus, it brought up old stings). Back to recruiting and I apologize for the hijack. I'd love to have both Cade and BJ, but if Cunningham commits to Oklahoma State like they're predicting then let's get Boston. I don't want to think about getting neither.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If we combine Virginia Tech and Oklahoma State, can we have a Hokie-Pokie Okie Dokie?
    Careful, I'm Sensitive and I'd Like To Stay That Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Careful, I'm Sensitive and I'd Like To Stay That Way!
    It is 2019, everyone is sensitive.

Under my grill is my personal safe space

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    It's a big brother/little brother superiority thing more than anything involving OU. Ever called or seen someone else call OU the Okie University Sooners or Okie U? Nope and nope. If it's not that big of a deal take off the wanker filter for d**k. But, this isn't a big deal as it's a Duke message board and I was just trying to make a point (plus, it brought up old stings). Back to recruiting and I apologize for the hijack. I'd love to have both Cade and BJ, but if Cunningham commits to Oklahoma State like they're predicting then let's get Boston. I don't want to think about getting neither.
    I love your standing up for the boys. But this is not a big brother/little brother thing. “Okie” is historically a derogatory term referring to dead broke unemployed rural Oklahomans who left farming in Oklahoma during the dust bowl to flee to the west coast. Think Grapes of Wrath. The term was used derogatorily as a slur by people in California and others places who did not want these immigrants.

Oklahoma State has never used the term and would never do so. Ironically, as to the whole big brother little brother scenario you suggest, OU, has actually adopted a negative moniker “sooner” as its nickname. A sooner is literally a “criminal”. When portions of Oklahoma were opened to white settlers via land runs, people literally lined up at a designated point and at the appointed time began a race to stake a claim by posting a marker on a piece of land. “Sooners” were people who cheated by sneaking over the line in the dark of night before the land was opened.

Some believe, mostly Oklahoma State fans, that this same lack of ethics and criminal behavior has been the foundation of any success OU has had in athletic endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    I love your standing up for the boys. But this is not a big brother/little brother thing. “Okie” is historically a derogatory term referring to dead broke unemployed rural Oklahomans who left farming in Oklahoma during the dust bowl to flee to the west coast. Think Grapes of Wrath. The term was used derogatorily as a slur by people in California and others places who did not want these immigrants.

Oklahoma State has never used the term and would never do so. Ironically, as to the whole big brother little brother scenario you suggest, OU, has actually adopted a negative moniker “sooner” as its nickname. A sooner is literally a “criminal”. When portions of Oklahoma were opened to white settlers via land runs, people literally lined up at a designated point and at the appointed time began a race to stake a claim by posting a marker on a piece of land. “Sooners” were people who cheated by sneaking over the line in the dark of night before the land was opened.

Some believe, mostly Oklahoma State fans, that this same lack of ethics and criminal behavior has been the foundation of any success OU has had in athletic endeavors.
    In another context, Kiwi was a derogatory term the Brits used for New Zealand soldiers in World War I, taken from the brand of shoe polish that was prevalent everywhere. New Zealanders eventually embraced the term, and it became a universal reference.

"Okie?" I can't imagine addressing any of my friends from Oklahoma with that term.
    Sage Grouse

Sorry about the Okie thing... I had no idea. My bad.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post

Hmm, I'm sensing a local parallel here...

devil9f.gifdevil9f.gif
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hmm, I'm sensing a local parallel here...

devil9f.gifdevil9f.gif
    The Sooners would have to really step up their cheating to draw a parallel with XXX.

Particularly in the south there's a historical conflict between THE UNIVERSITY OF schools and the usually newer Morrill land-grant schools.

The former are the blue-blood schools, the ones that produce doctors and lawyers and legislators, that have law schools and med schools.

The latter are the country cousins who study agriculture. Most of the ag schools have added engineering, design and other fields but the roots are still agricultural.

So, North Carolina looks down at NC State, South Carolina looks down at Clemson, Virginia looks down at Virginia Tech, Ole Miss looks down at Mississippi State, well you get the trend.

The land-grant schools return the favor by looking at the blue-bloods as effete snobs who've never done an honest days work in their lives.

I'm reasonably certain that dynamic applies to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Note that none of these relates to academic superiority but rather cultural biases. But having lived my entire adult life in an area defined by that divide, it's not too hard to pick up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    The Sooners would have to really step up their cheating to draw a parallel with XXX.
    You're correct. That bar is pretty high (? low) for cheating standards.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.