Page 23 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Given the wings on the roster (several of whom are likely to be here next season) and the kids we are recruiting who also play SG, I'm not sure Grimes is a very good fit.
    Plus, he'd likely have to take a huuuuge pay cut if he transferred from KU to Duke .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Plus, he'd likely have to take a huuuuge pay cut if he transferred from KU to Duke .
    Interesting issue: does he have to repay any of his signing bonus?

Has there been any dialogue between Duke and Dawson Garcia ? He is a 6'10" center out of the great state of Minnesota !

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Has there been any dialogue between Duke and Dawson Garcia ? He is a 6'10" center out of the great state of Minnesota !
    Good question but I don't know the answer. Dawson currently holds 8 offers from BIG10 schools, but has also had offers from Pitt, Marquette, Butler, Texas, Baylor and Oregon. He seems to have a propensity to play on the perimeter. Will research whether he went up against Matthew Hurt in MN prep play the last several seasons. Hurt played for D1MN in AAU, which is Dawson's team as well.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

CB today for Kessler to Duke. A few more CB's for Cunningham to Okie St.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Evan Daniels predicting Cunningham to Oklahoma State.
    Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    A few more CB's for Cunningham to Okie St.
    Yeah, I'm no longer dreaming about Cade to Duke.

Let's try to win back BJ Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    CB today for Kessler to Duke.
    Andrew Slater picking Kessler to Duke is a good sign..

It would be nice if Duke could wrap up Jalen Johnson and Kessler early to go with Roach.

Then we can focus all our resources on fighting for BJ Boston -- I'm not convinced Kentucky could hold us off -- along with lower-ranked depth pieces / long-term prospects to fill out a big class.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, I'm no longer dreaming about Cade to Duke.

Let's try to win back BJ Boston.

Andrew Slater picking Kessler to Duke is a good sign..

It would be nice if Duke could wrap up Jalen Johnson and Kessler early to go with Roach.

Then we can focus all our resources on fighting for BJ Boston -- I'm not convinced Kentucky could hold us off -- along with lower-ranked depth pieces / long-term prospects to fill out a big class.
    Is there a reason we should fight for BJ and not for Cade? Or not for both? Cade is looking like more of an OK State lean than BJ is looking a Kentucky lean?

Understanding, if faced with a choice, you prefer BJ based on fit.

But if Cade is not necessarily a stronger lean than BJ, it would seem that objectively it would be easier to fight OK State than UK. At face value, ignoring any complexities that I admittedly may not be following closely.

- Chillin

Duke has been involved with Boston a lot longer than they've been involved with Cunningham, so they may feel like they've got more sweat equity with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Is there a reason we should fight for BJ and not for Cade? Or not for both? Cade is looking like more of an OK State lean than BJ is looking a Kentucky lean?

Understanding, if faced with a choice, you prefer BJ based on fit.

But if Cade is not necessarily a stronger lean than BJ, it would seem that objectively it would be easier to fight OK State than UK. At face value, ignoring any complexities that I admittedly may not be following closely.

- Chillin
    In addition to Jim's point about having recruited BJ longer, a couple things:

(1) Evan Daniels (he of the 93% accuracy) has picked Cade to OKC. I think Cade is likely a more firm lean at this point.
    (2) Fighting the bluebloods like Kentucky and Kanas for recruits is familiar ground. We came back on Kansas to get Hurt, for example. Fighting OKC for a recruit is just weird. It makes you wonder about things. Why is Cade a strong lean towards the Pokes? Are we fighting a battle we can't possibly win?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke has been involved with Boston a lot longer than they've been involved with Cunningham, so they may feel like they've got more sweat equity with him.
    In addition to Jim's point about having recruited BJ longer, a couple things:

(1) Evan Daniels (he of the 93% accuracy) has picked Cade to OKC. I think Cade is likely a more firm lean at this point.
    (2) Fighting the bluebloods like Kentucky and Kanas for recruits is familiar ground. We came back on Kansas to get Hurt, for example. Fighting OKC for a recruit is just weird. It makes you wonder about things. Why is Cade a strong lean towards the Pokes? Are we fighting a battle we can't possibly win?
    Thx to both a ya's.

- Chillin

I wonder what it is about OKSt that has Cunningham so jazzed. He is from Texas, which is in the OKie neighborhood. I wonder if one of his parents went there or something. I agree that it seems somewhat unusual. Okie St is a fine program that has been in the running for top recruits in the past, but they don't often get them. Here is what I believe is a complete list of all the McDonald's All-Americans who have gone to Oklahoma State:

Glendon Alexander (1996), Byron Eaton (2005), Gerald Green (2005), James Anderson (2007), Le'Bryan Nash (2011), Marcus Smart (2012), and Jawun Evans (2015).

That's a total of 7 burger boys in the past 30+ years. Duke and Kentucky generally combine for 7 Mickie Dees every year.

I would get it if Cade was talking about "blazing my own path" and "wanting to elevate a program to places it has never been before" but the other schools on his list are the traditional blue bloods. His final ten is: Duke, Oklahoma State, Virginia, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, Memphis, Washington, Texas and Florida. I'm sorry, but when it comes to top tier recruiting, Okie State sorta sticks out like a sore thumb in that list.

-Jason "obviously still early... we will see where the kid ends up. The crystal ball has been fallible many, many times in the past" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I wonder what it is about OKSt that has Cunningham so jazzed. He is from Texas, which is in the OKie neighborhood. I wonder if one of his parents went there or something. I agree that it seems somewhat unusual. Okie St is a fine program that has been in the running for top recruits in the past, but they don't often get them. Here is what I believe is a complete list of all the McDonald's All-Americans who have gone to Oklahoma State:

Glendon Alexander (1996), Byron Eaton (2005), Gerald Green (2005), James Anderson (2007), Le'Bryan Nash (2011), Marcus Smart (2012), and Jawun Evans (2015).

That's a total of 7 burger boys in the past 30+ years. Duke and Kentucky generally combine for 7 Mickie Dees every year.

I would get it if Cade was talking about "blazing my own path" and "wanting to elevate a program to places it has never been before" but the other schools on his list are the traditional blue bloods. His final ten is: Duke, Oklahoma State, Virginia, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, Memphis, Washington, Texas and Florida. I'm sorry, but when it comes to top tier recruiting, Okie State sorta sticks out like a sore thumb in that list.

-Jason "obviously still early... we will see where the kid ends up. The crystal ball has been fallible many, many times in the past" Evans
    I dunno why anyone is worried about Cade Cunningham’s recruitment. The recruiting experts probably know little more than we do. Cunningham has been extremely tight lipped about his recruitment, so any CB picks at this point are pretty much worthless. There’s a long way to go for the class of 2020. I would not fret over any “leanings” for any of these kids at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I dunno why anyone is worried about Cade Cunningham’s recruitment. The recruiting experts probably know little more than we do. Cunningham has been extremely tight lipped about his recruitment, so any CB picks at this point are pretty much worthless. There’s a long way to go for the class of 2020. I would not fret over any “leanings” for any of these kids at this point.
    Have you looked at the 2020-21 roster recently? Start fretting! ��

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Have you looked at the 2020-21 roster recently? Start fretting! ��
    Junior Baker and seniors JGold and AOC are a nice starting point for a roster. I'm pretty sure not every single freshman will be OAD from this current class. Coach K knows a thing or two about bringing in new players so I am confident Duke will be a preseason top 10, probably preseason top 5 team.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Junior Baker and seniors JGold and AOC are a nice starting point for a roster. I'm pretty sure not every single freshman will be OAD from this current class. Coach K knows a thing or two about bringing in new players so I am confident Duke will be a preseason top 10, probably preseason top 5 team.
    Also, I'm pretty sure if K wanted to he could stock up on a bunch of 3-4 year players and take an off year on OAD. We'll have a full roster I'm not concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    A select few are quite knowledgeable. I would say it's meaningful that Evan Daniels has him going to Okie St.

I'm sure NSDukefan had tongue in cheek, but yeah, we just have to hit our targets. 1-for-1 so far with Roach.

OSU has 2 potential strengths. One is that it's the A&M of Oklahoma, which might be more comfortable for somebody whose roots are semi-rural (Cade's from Arlington, which is a Dallas suburb, but I didn't see much about how he sees himself).

The other is that Boone Pickens has donated upwards of $265 million just to OSU athletics. Here's a video: https://okstate.com/news/2015/2/26/V...cker_Room.aspx. The leather chairs and nice courts may transcend their win/loss record in the 1980's.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Don't underestimate the influence of the alarmingly unathletic Doug Gottleib!

Mike Boynton is a great recruiter. He dismissed coaches and players that did not meet standards at the expense of his roster. Plus, it's not just some wasteland here in Oklahoma and he can go wherever he wants. Okie State is the equivalent to D**k by the way. I'm a die hard Duke guy but "Okie State" offered me a baseball scholarship and Duke didn't so I went there. It's not the greatest place on Earth by any stretch but there are mostly regular folks living here doing mostly regular things just like most of America. People trash Russell Westbrook but he's been the only guy besides Nick Collison to remain loyal to us as fans after making the Finals and giving away James Harden and losing that guy on the Warriors, so we support him with everything we have. We trash ourselves plenty here, no need to pile on.

Okie State sorta sticks out like a sore thumb in that list.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    Okie State is the equivalent to D**k by the way. I'm a die hard Duke guy but "Okie State" offered me a baseball scholarship and Duke didn't so I went there.
    I think bigperm13 means that calling the school "Okie State" is derogatory the way calling Duke "[wanker filter]" is here. (It took me a while to figure this out, maybe because I was born with straight hair.)