Page 21 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    He’s like JJ but without the jump shot and black. Just picture Shaq, 6 inches shorter and 100 pounds lighter and with guard skills.
    High school Shaq?

9d352e30a54cb3c19c146c10a9f1adf9.jpg
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Jalen Johnson is a point-forward. So, I would take Ben Simmons as a starting point, subtract some athleticism, subtract some passing ability, but add a jumpshot. Or, to put it more straightforwardly, a less athletic Ben Simmons that can actually shoot and is not quite as good a passer.
    I think that's a fairly accurate description....but I'd call it a push on the athleticism.

https://youtu.be/HNIv2cF3ed4

jalen johnson looked pretty athletic to me, BUT his clip on youtube was followed by zion's top 10 sports center plays from last year. it's not really fair to judge anyone's athleticism after that.

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    jerry meyer predicting kentucky for bj boston.
    Man.. certainly a major disappointment if true, particularly given how much has been said/written about K prioritizing Boston.

a few more crystal balls saying Brandon Boston to Kentucky. Jerry Meyer (75% accuracy) predicted Kentucky last week. Then Boston announces his final 4- Florida, UK, Duke, Auburn and more crystal balls turned up for Kentucky. Not sure if they know something or if it's simply a gut feel. Meyer has a 75% accuracy rate. The Duke analysts, Andrew Slater (75% accuracy) andChad Lykins (72% accuracy), are also predicting Kentucky for Boston.

I don't think this is over. To my knowledge, Boston is the only 2 guard Duke has offered.

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    a few more crystal balls saying Brandon Boston to Kentucky. Jerry Meyer (75% accuracy) predicted Kentucky last week. Then Boston announces his final 4- Florida, UK, Duke, Auburn and more crystal balls turned up for Kentucky. Not sure if they know something or if it's simply a gut feel. Meyer has a 75% accuracy rate. The Duke analysts, Andrew Slater (75% accuracy) andChad Lykins (72% accuracy), are also predicting Kentucky for Boston.

I don't think this is over. To my knowledge, Boston is the only 2 guard Duke has offered.
    I didn't know BJ Boston was so close to making his college decision. I was in line at Chic Fil A adjacent to the ATL Nike EYBL event in late April, and BJ was just ahead of me. He's as thin as BI. Seems to have a very pleasant disposition. Wendell Carter's parents were there as well: didn't realize both were so tall(I know they both played hoops in college). LGD!
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    I didn't know BJ Boston was so close to making his college decision. I was in line at Chic Fil A adjacent to the ATL Nike EYBL event in late April, and BJ was just ahead of me. He's as thin as BI. Seems to have a very pleasant disposition. Wendell Carter's parents were there as well: didn't realize both were so tall(I know they both played hoops in college). LGD!
    He isn't, as he's been saying that he wants to decide in the spring: https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...our-132178077/

So, while Kentucky may be ahead right now, there's still plenty of time in this recruitment. Duke can't always make up ground a la what we did with Matthew Hurt and Kansas, but generally speaking, if we continue to recruit a player hard, we should be right there and have a good chance for him in the spring. I hope we *do* continue to recruit Boston hard because we'll need his shooting.

One duke analyst put in a CB for Cade Cunningham to Duke. Listed as a 6'7" SF but has played PG a lot for Monteverde Academy. I think he'd be great alongside Roach. I read an interview with Cunningham and he was non-committal on where he wanted to play. Didn't say he wants to a PG at the next level but was open to it. So I don't think Raoch's commitment hinders our recruitment of Cunningham. Maybe we're turning up the heat on Cunningham to put a little pressure on BJ Boston.

Would love it if we could land Cunningham, he's a tremendous talent.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Would love it if we could land Cunningham, he's a tremendous talent.
    I would think that Cunningham and Johnson would work. Not sure Cunningham, Johnson and Barnes would work. But Duke has never really turned up the heat on Barnes.

It should be noted that this time last year more than a few pundits claimed that Duke had no chance of Hurt, this time two years ago Duke had no chance on Williamson.

By the same token, Duke was in the driver's seat for Bryan Antoine and Josiah James deep into last summer.

So, in the words of the poet, "It just goes to show, you never can tell."

^ So true. And obviously a few of these recruitments won't be over anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I would think that Cunningham and Johnson would work. Not sure Cunningham, Johnson and Barnes would work. But Duke has never really turned up the heat on Barnes.

It should be noted that this time last year more than a few pundits claimed that Duke had no chance of Hurt, this time two years ago Duke had no chance on Williamson.

By the same token, Duke was in the driver's seat for Bryan Antoine and Josiah James deep into last summer.

“C’est la vie", say the old folks ...

Chuck Berry is one of my favorite poets!

What kind of shooters are we talking about? I thought I read that Cunningham wasn't the best from 3 point range.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    What kind of shooters are we talking about? I thought I read that Cunningham wasn't the best from 3 point range.
    Cunningham and Johnson are far from knockdown shooters at this point, especially if a new line is implemented in college. (The same with Scottie Barnes). We need to complement these two creators (if we land them) with potent 3-pt shooters. Hopefully Kessler is that and commits, hopefully Baker (or AOC) develops this upcoming season and can be counted on to start in 20-21, and hopefully Roach is a good shooter. With the latter, maybe there is a point in rehab where he can't run but can practice shooting all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Cunningham and Johnson are far from knockdown shooters at this point, especially if a new line is implemented in college. (The same with Scottie Barnes). We need to complement these two creators (if we land them) with potent 3-pt shooters. Hopefully Kessler is that and commits, hopefully Baker (or AOC) develops this upcoming season and can be counted on to start in 20-21, and hopefully Roach is a good shooter. With the latter, maybe there is a point in rehab where he can't run but can practice shooting all day.
    Boogie Ellis is a great 3-point shooter.

Oh wait. Never mind.

Boogie Ellis is a great 3-point shooter.

Oh wait. Never mind.
    Yea this one stung. Are you upset the staff couldn’t keep him given there’s no way he’s a one and done no matter where he goes? (Felt like your post was expressing frustration with someone, but not sure who...maybe just general frustration we couldn’t keep him)

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Yea this one stung. Are you upset the staff couldn’t keep him given there’s no way he’s a one and done no matter where he goes? (Felt like your post was expressing frustration with someone, but not sure who...maybe just general frustration we couldn’t keep him)
    Nah. Don't read too much into it. It's just the times we live in. Way too many prepsters are convinced they are on the fast-track to the NBA lottery and don't want to hear otherwise. Ellis seriously thinks he's Trae Young and did not want Tre Jones gumming up the works.

Nah. Don't read too much into it. It's just the times we live in. Way too many prepsters are convinced they are on the fast-track to the NBA lottery and don't want to hear otherwise. Ellis seriously thinks he's Trae Young and did not want Tre Jones gumming up the works.
    Got it and agree. Thornton, Duval, Alex Murphy, Bolden, lots of others come to mind as examples of how it just isn’t always in the cards. But yea they don’t want to hear it.

Do you think K & co told him he would start if Tre left for the NBA? I didn’t view him as a sure fire starter based on his ranking, but I guess if Tre was gone he would have been our best option at PG. I was imagining K pitched him with a more tradt’l “come in and compete/be a multi year player” / I don’t think of K as promising starting slots unless they are superlative talent. But again given how thin we could have been at PG, maybe there was more promise of minutes.

(Reliving this probably not the most healthy thing, but it’s the off-season...)

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Got it and agree. Thornton, Duval, Alex Murphy, Bolden, lots of others come to mind as examples of how it just isn’t always in the cards. But yea they don’t want to hear it.

Do you think K & co told him he would start if Tre left for the NBA? I didn’t view him as a sure fire starter based on his ranking, but I guess if Tre was gone he would have been our best option at PG. I was imagining K pitched him with a more tradt’l “come in and compete/be a multi year player” / I don’t think of K as promising starting slots unless they are superlative talent. But again given how thin we could have been at PG, maybe there was more promise of minutes.

(Reliving this probably not the most healthy thing, but it’s the off-season...)
    If Tre Jones had gone to the NBA, then Duke was going to make a full-court press on R.J. Hampton for next year, one that would have had a high likelihood of success.

So, Ellis still would have had competition for a starting spot.

Maybe Ellis' view of himself and his best path forward just changed.

Another offer - Cunningham