Page 16 of 122 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
    We don't have to go after a traditional 5. A PF in the 6'8-6'10 range in the veins of Lance, Amile and Javin would be sufficient for today's game.

Having a 3-4 players taller than 6'6 and heavier 200lbs is more critical to a good defense. As I recall Zion, Jack, Cam, RJ all held their own against post players.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Oof, that raises concern for the 2021 season then. Relying on freshmen frontcourt players - with perhaps no returning frontcourt players to help with practice and communication - is going to be a challenge.
    Every year I think this is the year when Duke brings in a grad-student transfer.

And every year I'm wrong.

But that would be a way to get some post experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Every year I think this is the year when Duke brings in a grad-student transfer.

And every year I'm wrong.

But that would be a way to get some post experience.
    It would help with the experience, but not the "Duke" experience. And as you said, it would be the first such transfer anyway, so I'll believe it happens when I see it.

I would strongly prefer a true transfer for the continuity value. A grad transfer would still be learning the concepts that Duke uses along with the freshmen, so wouldn't be as much of a help in the process.

UNC just got a William and Mary shooting guard 6'7 . Duke should look at all possibilities.
    Even the Damatian Coast. Serbia, Bosnia- Montenegro, Croatia and Slovenia. Look at Jokic. There lies the most talent rich region in Europe. Though the best immediately turn pro.The greatest ever desended from that region through immigration Raleigh Broughton High's Pete Maravich.

Our big man situation for 2020-21 is very strange to me. In my 30+ years of following Duke basketball, I can't remember our cupboard ever turning this bare in either the front court or the back court. We didn't bring in any multi-year bigs with Carter or Bagley, and we didn't bring in any bigs period in last year's group or any solid multi-year bigs in this year's group. Maybe we had some recruiting misses I'm just not remembering?

I'm sure the staff will reload with some solid recruits, but it's shaping up to be our weakest front court in the Coach K era, especially if Hurt is a one-and-done and we don't land Kessler.

But I am super excited about 2019-20. All the pieces are there for a championship team. Just need to get Javin back for his senior campaign...

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Our big man situation for 2020-21 is very strange to me. In my 30+ years of following Duke basketball, I can't remember our cupboard ever turning this bare in either the front court or the back court. We didn't bring in any multi-year bigs with Carter or Bagley, and we didn't bring in any bigs period in last year's group or any solid multi-year bigs in this year's group. Maybe we had some recruiting misses I'm just not remembering?

I'm sure the staff will reload with some solid recruits, but it's shaping up to be our weakest front court in the Coach K era, especially if Hurt is a one-and-done and we don't land Kessler.

But I am super excited about 2019-20. All the pieces are there for a championship team. Just need to get Javin back for his senior campaign...
    I think we'll get Jalen Johnson and he will be a stretch 4. Maybe Mark Williams and Walker Kessler both commit. I think we're looking at Xavier Foster from Iowa who is F/C. Same with Greg Brown from Austin TX.

We probably should have recruited a 2019 big who was ok with not playing much immediately so he'd be a veteran once 20/21 rolls around. Maybe a kid in the top 100 range with upside. A big body who could contribute down the line.. maybe there's still someone out there?

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    I think we'll get Jalen Johnson and he will be a stretch 4. Maybe Mark Williams and Walker Kessler both commit. I think we're looking at Xavier Foster from Iowa who is F/C. Same with Greg Brown from Austin TX.

We probably should have recruited a 2019 big who was ok with not playing much immediately so he'd be a veteran once 20/21 rolls around. Maybe a kid in the top 100 range with upside. A big body who could contribute down the line.. maybe there's still someone out there?
    who was ok with not playing much immediately

that's the part that's tough - for example, Trendon Watford is still uncommitted. Does he fall into the big man category - can he be like an Antonio Lang, John Smith, Lance Thomas, Javin DeLaurier - type? Is Duke still interested and vice versa? Most importantly, how would he feel about limited playing time as a freshman? What recruit ranked in the top 20 is willing to go sit on the bench for a year?
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    who was ok with not playing much immediately

that's the part that's tough - for example, Trendon Watford is still uncommitted. Does he fall into the big man category - can he be like an Antonio Lang, John Smith, Lance Thomas, Javin DeLaurier - type? Is Duke still interested and vice versa? Most importantly, how would he feel about limited playing time as a freshman? What recruit ranked in the top 20 is willing to go sit on the bench for a year?
    he seems destined for LSU per the 247sports crystal balls which is weird because their coach was caught on a wiretap saying he offered Naz Reid $300k. I guess they won't fire him until the NCAA gets involves so they can fire him with cause.. and pay no buyout.

he seems destined for LSU per the 247sports crystal balls which is weird because their coach was caught on a wiretap saying he offered Naz Reid $300k. I guess they won't fire him until the NCAA gets involves so they can fire him with cause.. and pay no buyout.
    Weird? I'd say it makes negotiations easier. Soon these millennials will have an app on their phones which will tell them how much to expect from each coach based upon high school and AAU stats ...

It would help with the experience, but not the "Duke" experience. And as you said, it would be the first such transfer anyway, so I'll believe it happens when I see it.

I would strongly prefer a true transfer for the continuity value. A grad transfer would still be learning the concepts that Duke uses along with the freshmen, so wouldn't be as much of a help in the process.
    how would that be any more detrimental to continuity than all of the one and done players that have come thorough the program in the past decade?

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    how would that be any more detrimental to continuity than all of the one and done players that have come thorough the program in the past decade?
    Because we have always had multiple returning guys in both the frontcourt and backcourt every year. Even with the one and dones. The 20-21 year would be the first in memory with no returning frontcourt players.

Jalen Johnson cuts his list to a final four:

Arizona, Duke, Kentucky & Wisconsin.

https://twitter.com/Jalen_J23/status...39599656898561

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post

Easier said than done. You’re asking for a big man with potential, to come to Duke, not play for a year at least, constantly look over his shoulder for the next one and done, choose not to transfer or take his potential to the NBA draft, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Jalen Johnson cuts his list to a final four:

Arizona, Duke, Kentucky & Wisconsin.

https://twitter.com/Jalen_J23/status...39599656898561

How in the world does he have Arizona with the ocean of bad news coming out about the program and Miller in particular?

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    How in the world does he have Arizona with the ocean of bad news coming out about the program and Miller in particular?
    I think it should be more clear than ever how Arizona gets in with recruits.

(Though I certainly hope that Johnson isn’t caught up in that.)

redshirt jack white in 19/20. then you'd have a 5th year senior who can play both F sports.. and hopefully will have figured out his jump shot by then.

redshirt jack white in 19/20. then you'd have a 5th year senior who can play both F sports.. and hopefully will have figured out his jump shot by then.
    Why would Jack White be interested in such a scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Graduate degree? Could also arguably be good for a post college BB career.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Some seem to be in an alternate universe.