Page 15 of 122 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Even if Duke signs Walker Kessler, they likely will need another center.
    At least one! All the frontcourt players will be gone after next season with the closest thing to a "4" being the possibility that Joey Baker can defend other forwards.

Didn't see this anywhere, but apparently Mark Williams (top 50 7'1 C) has received an offer.

https://twitter.com/MarkWi1liams/sta...236859392?s=19

*Fun fact: Mark is the little brother of former Duke women's star Elizabeth Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Didn't see this anywhere, but apparently Mark Williams (top 50 7'1 C) has received an offer.

*Fun fact: Mark is the little brother of former Duke women's star Elizabeth Williams.
    "little"

Seems like a nice, smart, young man. One to keep an eye on for sure. He's a top 50 player in his class.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post

If there can be anything “little” about someone who is 7-1!

I can tell you from my interactions with Elizabeth Williams over the years that this is a family that places a premium on education. Their father is a physician, their mother a nurse and they view basketball as a means to the end of an education.

I can tell you from my interactions with Elizabeth Williams over the years that this is a family that places a premium on education. Their father is a physician, their mother a nurse and they view basketball as a means to the end of an education.
    That said, Elizabeth is playing professionally in the WNBA (she's pretty darn good too) and making $117k per year for the Atlanta Dream (pretty much a WNBA max contract). WNBA salaries are good money, but not life-changing.

-Jason "here's a good look at the top contracts on every WNBA team... generally $117.5, maybe a tiny bit higher, is the most anyone makes" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    That said, Elizabeth is playing professionally in the WNBA (she's pretty darn good too) and making $117k per year for the Atlanta Dream (pretty much a WNBA max contract). WNBA salaries are good money, but not life-changing.

-Jason "here's a good look at the top contracts on every WNBA team... generally $117.5, maybe a tiny bit higher, is the most anyone makes" Evans
    Quite the family. They must be so proud to have two children like Elizabeth and Mark.

Speaking of the elder sister, she recently had 24 points and 12 rebounds in a Turkish League playoffs quarterfinals game. She even made a buzzer-beater shot to win it.

My understanding is that WNBA players often earn more playing overseas than they do in the States.

From her twitter feed, Elizabeth appeared to be quite happy for her younger brother to receive the offer from Duke.

Unfortunately, Elizabeth Williams didn’t have a completely positive experience at Duke although I think the problem was limited to the Duke women’s BB coach, who, again unfortunately, is still at Duke. I hope this has no effect upon this recruitment. I’m pretty sure that the family wanted McCallie fired. They were not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Unfortunately, Elizabeth Williams didn’t have a completely positive experience at Duke although I think the problem was limited to the Duke women’s BB coach, who, again unfortunately, is still at Duke. I hope this has no effect upon this recruitment. I’m pretty sure that the family wanted McCallie fired. They were not alone.
    She also came back to Duke last season to have her jersey retired. She told me that her concerns had been addressed and she had moved on.

She also came back to Duke last season to have her jersey retired. She told me that her concerns had been addressed and she had moved on.
    E-Will is one of the most wonderful people I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I actually am pretty sure I met her little brother when he was way younger. He was shy, although he would have been like 12/13.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Yes, but if I am not mistaken, she was in the Duke program that makes it possible for women athletes to complete pre-med requirements while also competing. I'm guessing she may have post-playing-career plans for which her Duke degree will be very important.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yes, but if I am not mistaken, she was in the Duke program that makes it possible for women athletes to complete pre-med requirements while also competing. I'm guessing she may have post-playing-career plans for which her Duke degree will be very important.
    If I recall correctly, she was pre-med. Hope she is able to continue.

Mark Williams appears to have the height and physical tools and genetics to be a special player. I keep thinking back to Mo Bamba and wondering how Duke might have helped him develop his game if he had come to Duke for a year instead of Texas. He was good but his game didn’t seem to develop there.

2020 will be a big class.. especially in the frontcourt. I think M Williams commits first. A lot of positive things lately about Henry Coleman. Currently a top 50 guy. Should improve upon that.. probably top 30-35. The class will be big and they're multi year players. I don't think taking Williams early would hurt our chances with higher ranked Center prospects.

2020 recruits-
    PG- Jeremy Roach
    SG- BJ Boston
    F- Henry Coleman (no offer)
    F- Jalen Johnson
    C- Mark Williams

-Keep an eye on Terrence Clarke reclassifying. He turns 18 in September. Very old to be a 2021.
    -Supposedly Scottie Barnes is looking hard at Syracuse and Oregon. Maybe he doesn't want to play alongside Jalen Johnson and sees him as a Duke lock?
    -I think Walker Kessler goes to UGA.
    -CamRon Fletcher is a name to keep an eye on if BJ Boston looks elsewhere. Kid can fly like Cassius Stanley.
    -Caleb Love I assume is the back up for Roach. K seems all in on Roach as does Kentucky.
    -I think you need another big man. I don't see Williams as a starter as a freshman. Go get Greg Brown!

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    2020 will be a big class.. especially in the frontcourt. I think M Williams commits first. A lot of positive things lately about Henry Coleman. Currently a top 50 guy. Should improve upon that.. probably top 30-35. The class will be big and they're multi year players. I don't think taking Williams early would hurt our chances with higher ranked Center prospects.

2020 recruits-
    PG- Jeremy Roach
    SG- BJ Boston
    F- Henry Coleman (no offer)
    F- Jalen Johnson
    C- Mark Williams

-Keep an eye on Terrence Clarke reclassifying. He turns 18 in September. Very old to be a 2021.
    -Supposedly Scottie Barnes is looking hard at Syracuse and Oregon. Maybe he doesn't want to play alongside Jalen Johnson and sees him as a Duke lock?
    -I think Walker Kessler goes to UGA.
    -CamRon Fletcher is a name to keep an eye on if BJ Boston looks elsewhere. Kid can fly like Cassius Stanley.
    -Caleb Love I assume is the back up for Roach. K seems all in on Roach as does Kentucky.
    -I think you need another big man. I don't see Williams as a starter as a freshman. Go get Greg Brown!
    Walker Kessler is a primary target for the Class of 2020. He was the first player to receive an in-home visit when the season ended. He may end up at UGA but it won't be for lack of effort on behalf of the Duke coaching staff. Kessler, along with BJ Boston and Jalen Johnson, are the three recruits that the coaching staff covets the most.

Williams is not redundant with Kessler as you noted that Duke will have absolutely no height left after next season. Kessler is the one-and-done starter with Williams as the multi-year center behind him. And Williams seems like a high upside kind of player that could develop into a great college player.

It does seem that Jeremy Roach is the primary target at point guard. He was considered among the best in the class until an ACL injury. He remains a priority for Duke as I've seen chatter that Coach K and staff conducted an in-home visit in recent days.

With zero big guys coming back in 20/21, it feels like Walker Kessler is a must-get for us to be competitive in the ACC. Most big man recruits outside of the Top 15 (or 10?) are just not ready to come in and be competitive against seasoned veteran post players. Feels like we have a lot of eggs in the Kessler basket at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    With zero big guys coming back in 20/21, it feels like Walker Kessler is a must-get for us to be competitive in the ACC. Most big man recruits outside of the Top 15 (or 10?) are just not ready to come in and be competitive against seasoned veteran post players. Feels like we have a lot of eggs in the Kessler basket at the moment...
    I'm sure there will be several good big men in the ACC by 2020-21, but maybe not. A lot of the best big men in the ACC are graduating or going pro this offseason or next. And the game is moving in the direction of favoring smaller teams that have more versatility.

Then again, Florida State, Louisville, and UNC are all bringing in at least one pretty good traditional big man this offseason. A frontline featuring two talented yet younger 7-footers might be enough to compete with the best of the ACC and the country if there is a forward that can defend bigger players when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I'm sure there will be several good big men in the ACC by 2020-21, but maybe not. A lot of the best big men in the ACC are graduating or going pro this offseason or next. And the game is moving in the direction of favoring smaller teams that have more versatility.

Then again, Florida State, Louisville, and UNC are all bringing in at least one pretty good traditional big man this offseason. A frontline featuring two talented yet younger 7-footers might be enough to compete with the best of the ACC and the country if there is a forward that can defend bigger players when necessary.
    Might Duke try the sit-out transfer market? The Hausers are 6'8" or 6'9" and have 1 and 2 years left. Jordan Browne from Nevada is also around at 6'11".

The main reason I ask is because the timing fits nicely given the need in 2020. That said, I haven't heard any rumblings. It just seems to fit, so I'm speculating.

- Chillin

Kessler isn't a Duke lock. But Duke is very much in the picture for him. K has prioritized him the same way he prioritized Hurt.

Duke is also looking hard at Xavier Foster, 6-10 or so, from Iowa.

I would love a traditional, sit-out-a-year-big-man-transfer. Not sure one is on the horizon however.

I would love a traditional, sit-out-a-year-big-man-transfer. Not sure one is on the horizon however.
    Oof, that raises concern for the 2021 season then. Relying on freshmen frontcourt players - with perhaps no returning frontcourt players to help with practice and communication - is going to be a challenge.