Page 121 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122 LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2439
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    What's significant, if Maker actually goes to Howard, is a potential trend toward HBCU's among top prospects. Good for Kenny Blakeney and Howard.
    Oh - it - is - happening. Today has been a great day for HBCU's. Wake Forest's Sharone Wright committed to Morgan State today as well.

Y'all also might want to keep an eye on Alabama State University. Mo Williams signed 4 star - Trace Young.

Basketball is the one sport where the differences in money don't quite matter as much.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Oh - it - is - happening. Today has been a great day for HBCU's. Wake Forest's Sharone Wright committed to Morgan State today as well.

Y'all also might want to keep an eye on Alabama State University. Mo Williams signed 4 star - Trace Young.

Basketball is the one sport where the differences in money don't quite matter as much.
    This is definitely interesting. It would be twice as cool if 4-5 top 50 recruits chose the same HBCU and fielded a competitive team.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    This is definitely interesting. It would be twice as cool if 4-5 top 50 recruits chose the same HBCU and fielded a competitive team.
    HBCUs are already quite competitive. They've had their share of upsets over the years. But a team like that would be a new Fab 5, with historic ramifications and championship potential. It's not too far away. I wouldn't even be shocked if we see a couple of good pick ups for Howard real soon.

Fun fact: in 1994 when Arkansas met Duke for the National Championship - both of their first games were against HBCUs. Arkansas played a spirited NC A&T and pulled away at the end. Duke played a game Texas Southern - winning the game by only 12. Kentucky, a 3 seed also played Tennessee State - escaping with a 13 point win.
    Last edited by SupaDave; 07-03-2020 at 04:21 PM.

HBCUs are already quite competitive. They've had their share of upsets over the years. But a team like that would be a new Fab 5, with historic ramifications and championship potential. It's not too far away. I wouldn't even be shocked if we see a couple of good pick ups for Howard real soon.

Fun fact: in 1994 when Arkansas met Duke for the National Championship - both of their first games were against HBCUs. Arkansas played a spirited NC A&T and pulled away at the end. Duke played a game Texas Southern - winning the game by only 8. Kentucky, a 3 seed also played Tennessee State - escaping with a 13 point win.
    Fun fact. Duke beat Texas Southern 82-70 in the 1994 NCAAT.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Fun fact. Duke beat Texas Southern 82-70 in the 1994 NCAAT.
    and edited... let's add 4 points to that survival.

I am very happy for Kenny Blakeney and have conveyed as such to him. I remember him at Duke during my time - it is a pleasure to see him succeed.

Personally, I do not care if these kids go to HBC‘s or any other college (obviously I care if they come to Duke for completely selfish reasons - and I guess that I do not want them to go to Carolina) – but I hope that they all take advantage of the educational opportunities afforded to them. We all know that basketball will be played while at school - but the education can last a lifetime. If there is no student in student athlete, I see no point in collegiate athletics.

and edited... let's add 4 points to that survival.
    Duke also beat Delaware State 57-46 in the 2005 NCAAT. And NC A&T 79-69 in the 1981 NIT

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    I am very happy for Kenny Blakeney and have conveyed as such to him. I remember him at Duke during my time - it is a pleasure to see him succeed.

Personally, I do not care if these kids go to HBC‘s or any other college (obviously I care if they come to Duke for completely selfish reasons - and I guess that I do not want them to go to Carolina) – but I hope that they all take advantage of the educational opportunities afforded to them. We all know that basketball will be played while at school - but the education can last a lifetime. If there is no student in student athlete, I see no point in collegiate athletics.
    This is exactly what America IS NOT anymore. Yes, regular people need educations - but we need trades more than anything right now. But that's not how things work anymore. These kids code, create websites, work for Google and have millions of followers by the time they are 18 nowadays. They are collecting checks sitting in the house doing video game reviews.

The whole education model is something that needs to be restructured. Some of the better high schools prepare kids better for life than their colleges will.

When you get to a professional level, they don't teach that in college. They don't teach college seniors how to read professional contracts. They don't teach college seniors whether they should get a 15 year or 30 year mortgage on a $2 million house. What Zion is on going through right now could have still happened after 4 years.

And last but not least, you can always go back. College is not some place that's just gonna vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke also beat Delaware State 57-46 in the 2005 NCAAT. And NC A&T 79-69 in the 1981 NIT
    Making it more incredible that somehow Duke has never played NCCU in basketball. I feel like I remember a scrimmage (not the Secret game) - but otherwise amazingly they have never met in either gym. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is exactly what America IS NOT anymore. Yes, regular people need educations - but we need trades more than anything right now.

And last but not least, you can always go back. College is not some place that's just gonna vanish.
    I agree...

I was 41 when I graduated from Chapman University with a B.A. and 44 when I graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a M.H.R..

Furthermore, the very good job I have is based upon my technical education and experience received in the United States Navy.
    Bob Green

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Making it more incredible that somehow Duke has never played NCCU in basketball. I feel like I remember a scrimmage (not the Secret game) - but otherwise amazingly they have never met in either gym. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Duke hosted NCCU in Central’s first game as a Division I school, in 2007. Coach K made it a point to have both teams take a picture at mid-court after the game to properly record the event.

This is exactly what America IS NOT anymore. Yes, regular people need educations - but we need trades more than anything right now. But that's not how things work anymore. These kids code, create websites, work for Google and have millions of followers by the time they are 18 nowadays. They are collecting checks sitting in the house doing video game reviews.

The whole education model is something that needs to be restructured. Some of the better high schools prepare kids better for life than their colleges will.

When you get to a professional level, they don't teach that in college. They don't teach college seniors how to read professional contracts. They don't teach college seniors whether they should get a 15 year or 30 year mortgage on a $2 million house. What Zion is on going through right now could have still happened after 4 years.

I really do not understand these two responses. The point here is that they are going to college. So once they are in college, they should take advantage of the educational opportunities. And whereas you may not believe that college set you up for the real world, once you are there there is much you can learn if you take the right courses.

I can only speculate that you may have no issue then with what Carolina did - having fake classes for students.

The commentary about learning how to read professional contracts is not compelling. The number of kids who are attending college playing a collegiate sport that will have to read a professional contract is tiny. And regardless, there is a reason why you hire professionals to handle matters of that nature. Even if Zion took three courses at Duke regarding professional contracts (if such courses existed), I would still recommend that he hire a lawyer or an agent to assist him. I provide tax advice to clients, but I do not do my tax returns. So there is no reason to expect a 20-year-old to be in a position to negotiate his professional contract.

If you truly believe that the education that these kids receive at college is useless – we should simply pay them to attend to play basketball or football or whatever, and they should not even be compelled to attend classes. Which may be the correct answer – I do not know.
    Last edited by 1991 duke law; 07-03-2020 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Typo

I really do not understand these two responses. The point here is that they are going to college. So once they are in college, they should take advantage of the educational opportunities. And whereas you may not believe that college set you up for the real world, once you are there there is much you can learn if you take the right courses.

I can only speculate that you may have no issue then with what Carolina did - having fake classes for students.

The commentary about learning how to read professional contracts is not compelling. The number of kids who are attending college playing a collegiate sport that will have to read a professional contract is tiny. And regardless, there is a reason why you hire professionals to handle matters of that nature. Even if Zion took three courses at Duke regarding professional contracts (if such courses existed), I would still recommend that he hire a lawyer or an agent to assist him. I provide tax advice to clients, but I do not do my tax returns. So there is no reason to expect a 20-year-old to be in a position to negotiate his professional contract.

If you truly believe that the education that these kids receive at college is useless – we should simply pay them to attend to play basketball or football or whatever, and they should not even be compelled to attend classes. Which may be the correct answer – I do not know.
    No one is saying don’t take advantage of college. College is but ONE way to educate yourself.

When you’re rich, you can pay people to educate you - in a whole lot less time.

College prepares you for a career - not life. There’s a difference.

Lots of college does the opposite. As a liberal arts student who majored in Philosophy and Religion, I felt well equipped for life, but not employment.

I understand what you were saying but I do not agree with you. I have had discussions with a number of professional athletes – David Robinson, Jamal Mashburn, Danny Ainge and others – and they would tell you that they do believe that college helps prepare one for life. At least it helped prepare them.

To be clear, you are correct that there are numerous instances where kids attend college and get little out of it. But I get the impression that your view of college and perhaps the experiences that you had, are not consistent with my view and my experiences.

Actually, it is the opposite. College prepares you for life more than a career. And if you are prepared enough for life, you can figure out the career part. Unfortunately, I think things are rapidly shifting towards career rather than life. But the goal of college should be to teach you how to think, challenge, discuss, analyze, and interact with a variety of people.

There are plenty of colleges that are strictly to prepare you for a career. Duke, particularly Trinity, is not one of them, and that is one of the main reasons I chose to go there (since this is the Duke Basketball Report, I will focus on Duke). Again, I think it has become increasingly pre-professional, but I still think that the life lessons from Duke trump the career training. And this is why companies like to hire Duke alums.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Actually, it is the opposite. College prepares you for life more than a career. And if you are prepared enough for life, you can figure out the career part. Unfortunately, I think things are rapidly shifting towards career rather than life. But the goal of college should be to teach you how to think, challenge, discuss, analyze, and interact with a variety of people.

There are plenty of colleges that are strictly to prepare you for a career. Duke, particularly Trinity, is not one of them, and that is one of the main reasons I chose to go there (since this is the Duke Basketball Report, I will focus on Duke). Again, I think it has become increasingly pre-professional, but I still think that the life lessons from Duke trump the career training. And this is why companies like to hire Duke alums.
    Most people would agree that tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars (usually debt) is not necessary to "prepare you for life". If you want to "interact with a variety of people" it is best to step outside of bubbles and interact with real world people. Duke is great and all, but the vast majority of students there come from very privileged backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Most people would agree that tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars (usually debt) is not necessary to "prepare you for life". If you want to "interact with a variety of people" it is best to step outside of bubbles and interact with real world people. Duke is great and all, but the vast majority of students there come from very privileged backgrounds.
    The hundred thousand dollars (I went in the 90s) my parents spent on my Duke education was the best money they ever spent, and I am scrimping and saving to do the same thing for my children, who won't be going to college in a while. My time at Duke was a life changing experience, and not just because of basketball. I met friends from all over the world who are now doing fascinating things all over the world. I gained from learning about their experiences, and they gained from mine. My Duke experience did not specifically prepare me for my career, but it gave me the tools to think and analyze and quickly learn the details of my career. I have spent most of my career in roles where I dealt with people of a wide variety of backgrounds - geographically, ethnically, racially, socio-economically. I do agree that Duke is a bubble (though less so now than it used to be) but it is also a place full of really smart, interesting people who provoke each other to think. Some people treat it as a four year party, but others seize on what it offers.

Different people choose to spend their time and money in different ways. For me and my family, college at Duke or a school like Duke was a top priority. I respect the decision of others to prioritize differently - that is what makes the world an interesting place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree...

I was 41 when I graduated from Chapman University with a B.A. and 44 when I graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a M.H.R..

Furthermore, the very good job I have is based upon my technical education and experience received in the United States Navy.
    Wow. I went from undergrad to grad school back to back. The real education was going to school in Harrisonburg VA, and then Philadelphia PA. Your journey sounds like my dad’s. GI Bill?