Page 105 of 122 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2439
    There are some players that are already in the transfer portal (see a list on Verbal Commits) that could fill a role at Duke or other programs.
    Gorjok Gak from Florida and Patrick Tapé from Coloumbia are just 2 players that come to mind. Gak played in the SEC and Tapé had a good Jr year at Coloumbia and would be able to meet the admission criteria to get into grad school at Duke.

Not sure who Gak is coonsidering but Tapé has a good list of schools as reported by Evan Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    There are some players that are already in the transfer portal (see a list on Verbal Commits) that could fill a role at Duke or other programs.
    Gorjok Gak from Florida and Patrick Tapé from Coloumbia are just 2 players that come to mind. Gak played in the SEC and Tapé had a good Jr year at Coloumbia and would be able to meet the admission criteria to get into grad school at Duke.

Not sure who Gak is coonsidering but Tapé has a good list of schools as reported by Evan Daniels

I hear that Gak Tape is very versatile. Kind of a glue guy.

...never duct a single day of practice.

I wouldn't so much say that Gak played in the SEC. He was on an SEC team, but has played just 350 total minutes over a four-year period there. I can't imagine he'd play at Duke.

Tape is a tad more interesting, having at least played meaningful minutes the last two years. As a pure backup, he might fit the bill. He is also from Charlotte, so coming to play in state could be useful. But again, willingness to come be a backup would be the key as he doesn't appear to be a strong enough player to start.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I wouldn't so much say that Gak played in the SEC. He was on an SEC team, but has played just 350 total minutes over a four-year period there. I can't imagine he'd play at Duke.

Tape is a tad more interesting, having at least played meaningful minutes the last two years. As a pure backup, he might fit the bill. He is also from Charlotte, so coming to play in state could be useful. But again, willingness to come be a backup would be the key as he doesn't appear to be a strong enough player to start.
    From what I understand, Tape quit the Columbia team right before the season started (around Oct. 31) so that he could play a grad year elsewhere. The coach made a diplomatic statement but I'm guessing he was not happy. So I think he has spent the year going to school at Columbia and working out on his own. Theoretically, no scholarships are involved in the Ivy League. I don't think any injuries were involved, though I'm not sure. He has been making visits to other schools including Syracuse.

That's just the point...Does K want or is he even looking for a grad transfer 5 that could come in and start? I mean if Duke was able to get a talented player, than I am sure Duke would have to make some decisions. Also, Duke doesn't guarantee play time or starting although it has to be suggested that a player can earn that role.

All of this is total speculation and fodder for fans to discuss. Maybe just maybe K and the staff are content with what Mark Williams can offer and feel that Henry Colemen can add depth

That's just the point...Does K want or is he even looking for a grad transfer 5 that could come in and start? I mean if Duke was able to get a talented player, than I am sure Duke would have to make some decisions. Also, Duke doesn't guarantee play time or starting although it has to be suggested that a player can earn that role.
    I'm sure Coach K would love to add a guy who has the talent to start at Duke. I'm just saying that Gak wouldn't provide any value based on his track record. And the question with Tape would be twofold: (1) does Coach K want to bring in a backup for one year; and just as importantly (2) would Tape want to go somewhere to be a backup, or would he rather go somewhere that he could be a starter?

All of this is total speculation and fodder for fans to discuss. Maybe just maybe K and the staff are content with what Mark Williams can offer and feel that Henry Colemen can add depth
    I hope that K and staff are much more focused on what they can get from Javin, Carey, and Hurt in the next four weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I hope that K and staff are much more focused on what they can get from Javin, Carey, and Hurt in the next four weeks.
    No reason they can't focus on both. Such is the life of a college basketball coach at a major program in the high-turnover era - you coach the players you have AND you recruit the players you need for the coming years, often at the same time.

When the season ends the flood of grad transfers will begin. It's almost impossible to keep track there will likely be so many. Jeff Goodman used to do a good job following them all and last year I think The Athletic kept a list.

Kentucky has had grad transfers the last few years. Nate Sestina averaged 5.8 and 3.8 for them this year. Is he happy playing for the SEC regular reason champ at that level of production? Only Nate knows!

Joe Cremo was pretty much a bust at Villanova so your rate of return can vary. Looking back on it Duke probably would have been better off bringing in Dylan Ennis than getting Thornton to re-class.

Overall, the 2020 class is a good one. Adding a player late such as Kuminga or Bediako might surprise but if there were no additions, the class would still be a good one with players that have good upsides.

Johnson is back to playing basketball and when he was playing he is arguably a top 5 player in the class.
    Roach is coming back nicely form his ACL injury, and he stated in his USA Today Blog (if you want to read it, look it up), he said, that he is more confident, able to read the game better, more explosive and his shot is better
    Steward has raised his game to earn 5 star status and is showcasing his ability to score playing in big games against elite players.
    Williams continues to improve his game. According to recruiting guys such as Corey Evans and Evan Daniels, Williams has show vast improvements this year. He is a high 4 star that is close to 5 star status.
    Brakefield appears to be motivated as per an article on SI Basketball Blog where Jaemyn talks about missing out on some All-Star games and being ready for Duke. He averaged 22ppg, 10rpg and 6apg. Not too bad
    Coleman, according to Clint Jackson of Rivals is now 6-8 240+ and a beast on the glass, a tough defender and a work horse. All great attributes.

Now how these players transition into college basketball and Duke is to be seen, but they are good players for K to work with

Quote Originally Posted by GeneBanksManCrush View Post
    I worry that he might be perceived as a selfish player, when he has the ball it tends to stick.

Reid Travis is another recent example of an elite college player opting to finish his college career elsewhere. Duke recruited Travis out of high school but elected to not pursue him when he left Stanford. Not sure why. Still an example that players good enough to start for Duke do make themselves available.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Reid Travis is another recent example of an elite college player opting to finish his college career elsewhere. Duke recruited Travis out of high school but elected to not pursue him when he left Stanford. Not sure why. Still an example that players good enough to start for Duke do make themselves available.
    Right, the best candidates are those who starred at lesser "power-6" programs whose coach takes a different job or gets fired. Someone like Blackshear, or Travis. There will be some guys who fit this bill every year. It is just a question of who, and whether there is mutual interest between Duke and said player.

So far, it hasn't worked out. But that could always change.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneBanksManCrush View Post
    What did the billy goat do after he ate the duct works?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    What did the billy goat do after he ate the duct works?
    He opened up a 5 X basketball account. Oops, sorry. A 5 X Banking Acct

Jim, I'm probably wrong but I thought, at the time, that Duke did not want to "recruit over" Bolden. Bolden had a disappointing Duke career going into his third, and final, year but there was optimism that he would develop and be a valuable player. I wondered at the time if K was thinking "2 for 1", he didn't want to give up two years of Bolden for one year of Travis.

Bolden left unexpectedly after his third year but I think everybody anticipated him playing all four years.

WAG, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Jim, I'm probably wrong but I thought, at the time, that Duke did not want to "recruit over" Bolden. Bolden had a disappointing Duke career going into his third, and final, year but there was optimism that he would develop and be a valuable player. I wondered at the time if K was thinking "2 for 1", he didn't want to give up two years of Bolden for one year of Travis.

Bolden left unexpectedly after his third year but I think everybody anticipated him playing all four years.

WAG, I could be wrong.
    I think there was some of that. I also think with Williamson, Barrett and Reddish on board Duke worried that they might not have enough balls to go around and preferred a combination of centers-Bolden/DeLaurier/Vrankovic--who were okay with not having a lot of plays called for them.

I think there was some of that. I also think with Williamson, Barrett and Reddish on board Duke worried that they might not have enough balls to go around and preferred a combination of centers-Bolden/DeLaurier/Vrankovic--who were okay with not having a lot of plays called for them.
    Conversely, Travis probably wanted to go somewhere that he'd have gotten the ball and saw there was a logjam at Duke.

It seems to me that having a conversations with Grad Transfers is more work than an incoming FR because the Grad player already knows the landscape of college basketball and might have a more definitive expectation of play time, and role on the team. So if Duke is looking for a "starting" 5 than that poses a bigger hurdle than a guy that can come off the bench. When Duke was talking to Premo, what Duke had to offer didn't match what he was looking for. Not that things turned out the way he wanted for PT or production this year, but the opportunity was there.

I know this view might be in the minority, but if Duke did go after a Grad player who could play the 5, I'd rather it be a guy that could come off the bench and allow Mark Williams the opportunity to grow and develop.