Page 78 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 2439
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I think the more interesting factoid would be the origin of his name "Puff."
    His expertise at the give and go?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Your comment made me laugh 😀.
    And truthfully, UNC does seem to have precisely the arrogant attitude to which you allude. I don’t know why they feel that way— because it’s ludicrous for any school to think such a thing — but they absolutely do.
    Yes, absolutely my point. One only needs to look at IC once to be enlightened: Dean invented “family”; they are the only program in college basketball to have a true family atmosphere, the “Carolina family”; the “Brotherhood” is a joke - copied from them and doesn’t really exist because all Duke players and coaches are inherently selfish and care only about themselves and individual accomplishments; and the only virtuous thing in college basketball is the “Carolina Way”. Have I missed anything?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    His expertise at the give and go?
    Maybe he's a magic dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Yes, absolutely my point. One only needs to look at IC once to be enlightened: Dean invented “family”; they are the only program in college basketball to have a true family atmosphere, the “Carolina family”; the “Brotherhood” is a joke - copied from them and doesn’t really exist because all Duke players and coaches are inherently selfish and care only about themselves and individual accomplishments; and the only virtuous thing in college basketball is the “Carolina Way”. Have I missed anything?
    Nope, that pretty well covers it. UNC, particularly the men’s basketball team, has been incredibly arrogant for decades. I never have understood why or how that whole thing got started. Were they (Dean Smith and cohorts) just sitting around eating lunch one day when one of them suddenly suggested they start marketing themselves with the whole “Carolina Way” thing? Who knows. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall back then. If only for my own amusement.

Nope, that pretty well covers it. UNC, particularly the men’s basketball team, has been incredibly arrogant for decades. I never have understood why or how that whole thing got started. Were they (Dean Smith and cohorts) just sitting around eating lunch one day when one of them suddenly suggested they start marketing themselves with the whole “Carolina Way” thing? Who knows. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall back then. If only for my own amusement.

One, a fly on the wall would never have been able to see a thing back then for the clouds of cigarette smoke emanating from Deano.

Two, even as diehard Duke fan, I cannot ignore the irony of a Duke fan calling any other fanbase "incredibly arrogant," particularly with respect to the "family" aspect of current and past players.

Calling ourselves "The Brotherhood" drives other fanbases absolutely bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    One, a fly on the wall would never have been able to see a thing back then for the clouds of cigarette smoke emanating from Deano.

Two, even as diehard Duke fan, I cannot ignore the irony of a Duke fan calling any other fanbase "incredibly arrogant," particularly with respect to the "family" aspect of current and past players.

Calling ourselves "The Brotherhood" drives other fanbases absolutely bonkers.
    I am a Duke fan, yes, but I have never once voiced or written “The Brotherhood” in regard to Duke. So the suggestion of irony does not apply in this case.

I am a Duke fan, yes, but I have never once voiced or written “The Brotherhood” in regard to Duke. So the suggestion of irony does not apply in this case.
    I have. And I delight in doing it regardless of how silly I know it appears. The fact that it drives a couple of Tar Heel fans I know crazy is more than enough incentive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I have. And I delight in doing it regardless of how silly I know it appears. The fact that it drives a couple of Tar Heel fans I know crazy is more than enough incentive for me.
    Well, that certainly is not a very long trip for them.

Ah, the beginning of the academic cheating fraud. It had to have begun sometime-somewhere. And I can just see the cloud of smoke from Dean filling the room(BD80). Two good posts describing the meeting. GoDuke and 9F.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Well, that certainly is not a very long trip for them.
    Ha! Very good.

Is Hunter Dickenson supposed to be making an announcement soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Is Hunter Dickenson supposed to be making an announcement soon?
    https://balldurham.com/2019/11/21/da...arget-obvious/

This link indicates Hunter wanted to announce before HS season starts

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post

please don't link that site. The clown that runs it is a complete idiot.

He actually wrote this...

"DeLaurier can't dribble. He can't shoot. He definitely can't catch. He can't hold onto the ball in traffic. He can't defend in a halfcourt setting without fouling. He can't set legal screens. He can't pivot without tripping over his own feet or elbowing a defender. He can't bring his body to a halt without crashing into a teammate, opponent, or ref."

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post

"DeLaurier can't dribble. He can't shoot. He definitely can't catch. He can't hold onto the ball in traffic. He can't defend in a halfcourt setting without fouling. He can't set legal screens. He can't pivot without tripping over his own feet or elbowing a defender. He can't bring his body to a halt without crashing into a teammate, opponent, or ref."
    Also wrote that he's thankful that Javin won't be here next Thanksgiving. I replied on Twitter (Bull Durham and the individual account), and then unfollowed both. Classless.

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post

That isn't very nice, but...

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    That isn't very nice, but...
    This year, I'm thankful you didn't finish that sentence!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post

Things change. Hunter Dickinson and DeMatha Catholic had their season-opening win over the weekend. The young center finished with 13 points in an 83-62 victory over Mt. Saint Joseph. Rivals recruiting expert Corey Evans wrote last Tuesday that he expected Dickinson to commit by now. I'm not sure what to make of the fact that he hasn't. To me, this is one of those cases where no one close to the young man or family has much insight into his thinking. Some recruits are like that. Wait and see is all there is to do. He seems to taking his time with an important decision.

If we can take our blinders off a second, he has some excellent options in front of him. I've got a world of respect for Leonard Hamilton, Mike Brey, and Michigan's basketball program (at least the 15 years of it). Juwan Howard has made a very positive early impression. And then there is Duke and Coach K. If you were the parents of this young man and these were the choices, how thrilled would you be?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Things change. Hunter Dickinson and DeMatha Catholic had their season-opening win over the weekend. The young center finished with 13 points in an 83-62 victory over Mt. Saint Joseph. Rivals recruiting expert Corey Evans wrote last Tuesday that he expected Dickinson to commit by now. I'm not sure what to make of the fact that he hasn't. To me, this is one of those cases where no one close to the young man or family has much insight into his thinking. Some recruits are like that. Wait and see is all there is to do. He seems to taking his time with an important decision.

If we can take our blinders off a second, he has some excellent options in front of him. I've got a world of respect for Leonard Hamilton, Mike Brey, and Michigan's basketball program (at least the 15 years of it). Juwan Howard has made a very positive early impression. And then there is Duke and Coach K. If you were the parents of this young man and these were the choices, how thrilled would you be?
    Tough choice to make. I know his girlfriend went to Michigan as a track athlete. No clue if we are still in the picture, but it seems it is between Notre Dame, who has been recruiting him the longest, and Michigan. Howard's great start against top notch competition has been impressive.

Updated ESPN Top 100 for Class of 2020

ESPN updated their rankings for the Class of 2020 (http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...ank/class/2020). Here are the Duke commits. I haven't found their previous ranking to compare the rise/fall.

4. Jalen Johnson, SF
    22. Jeremy Roach, PG
    23. DJ Steward, SG
    28. Jaemyn Brakefield, PF
    29. Mark Williams, C
    44. Henry Coleman, PF

FWIW, Hunter Dickinson is at 35 in this updated ranking. If memory serves, Jalen Johnson was more like 6 or 7, so that's a rise for him up to 4. Brakefield also went from around 35-40 up to 28 with Mark Williams making a similar rise. I think Henry Coleman fell a few slots to 44th while Jeremy Roach also slipped from inside to just outside the top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    ESPN updated their rankings for the Class of 2020 (http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...ank/class/2020). Here are the Duke commits. I haven't found their previous ranking to compare the rise/fall.

4. Jalen Johnson, SF
    22. Jeremy Roach, PG
    23. DJ Steward, SG
    28. Jaemyn Brakefield, PF
    29. Mark Williams, C
    44. Henry Coleman, PF

FWIW, Hunter Dickinson is at 35 in this updated ranking. If memory serves, Jalen Johnson was more like 6 or 7, so that's a rise for him up to 4. Brakefield also went from around 35-40 up to 28 with Mark Williams making a similar rise. I think Henry Coleman fell a few slots to 44th while Jeremy Roach also slipped from inside to just outside the top 20.
    Still wondering what the back up plan for the front court is, since it sounds like we aren't getting Dickinson. Hopefully a center from the grad transfer market emerges? If our only option at the 5 next year is a freshman Mark Williams (maybe Brakefield?), it might be a little rough. I don't personally envision Matthew Hurt being able to play center, if he even sticks around for year 2.