Page 4 of 122 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Boston Rebooks Visit to Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Top 10 SF Jalen Johnson will be taking an official visit to Duke on October 19th and will be on campus to witness Countdown to Craziness
    Another top target for 2020, Brandon "B.J." Boston, Jr., has set an official visit to Countdown to Craziness. Boston, as you may recall, was scheduled to take an official visit during the weekend that Hurricane Florence hit the Carolinas. He has since rebooked his visit to coincide to CTC. For those counting, that'll be 3 top recruits scheduled to attend so far. Boston and Johnson will be joined by Vernon Carey, Jr. of the Class of 2019 for the annual event. With the star-studded freshman class this season, I imagine this will be quite the spectacle to witness. I sure hope there is a dunk contest this year.

A report from Evan Daniels, writing for the Devil's Den, also shows Boston will be taking in-home visits, including from the Duke staff on Thursday night. Boston will be also take official visits to Alabama and Florida in November and has in-home visits with those two schools, Duke, and Ohio State lined up.

Ahead of Duke Visit, Jalen Johnson Narrows Focus

Top 2020 forward Jalen Johnson has released a Top 15 schools list. I find these "Top X Schools" lists to be pretty funny. We've seen a program like Duke or Kentucky come in after an announced list if "final" schools and make an official offer. From a player perspective, this is their chance to get their name out there. It's all in good fun.

At any rate, Johnson has cast a wide net: Arizona, DePaul, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, LSU, Marquette, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio State, UCLA, and Wisconsin. Duke is considered a strong favorite for the young man from Wisconsin, along with UW, Marquette, Kentucky, and UCLA.

Johsnon, along with B.J. Boston, appear to be taking advantage of the new NCAA official visit rules that allow more frequent visits to colleges. It's also a good sign that he is narrowing the list now, during his junior year. For those of us that grew impatient for the first 2019 commit (thanks, Wendell!), the Class of 2020 might deliver some earlier returns.

Another top target for 2020, Brandon "B.J." Boston, Jr., has set an official visit to Countdown to Craziness. Boston, as you may recall, was scheduled to take an official visit during the weekend that Hurricane Florence hit the Carolinas. He has since rebooked his visit to coincide to CTC. For those counting, that'll be 3 top recruits scheduled to attend so far. Boston and Johnson will be joined by Vernon Carey, Jr. of the Class of 2019 for the annual event. With the star-studded freshman class this season, I imagine this will be quite the spectacle to witness. I sure hope there is a dunk contest this year.

A report from Evan Daniels, writing for the Devil's Den, also shows Boston will be taking in-home visits, including from the Duke staff on Thursday night. Boston will be also take official visits to Alabama and Florida in November and has in-home visits with those two schools, Duke, and Ohio State lined up.
    Given Boston's current in-home list of Duke, Alabama, Florida, and Ohio State, Duke certainly stands out in terms of program strength. Adding in other schools that 247 lists as "warm", FSU, Clemson, and Georgia, it seems to me that OSU is a clear geographical outlier (not in the southeast). As such, I like Duke in this one, as it's hard for me to see Alabama as a truly legitimate threat and Florida doesn't offer much that Duke doesn't one-up (Florida is not his home state, for example; he's from Georgia).

UK, Kansas, Nova appear to have kicked the tires, but don't appear in play in this recruitment, as far as I can tell in my quick review.

- Chillin

Worth noting that Brandon Boston attends Norcross High School. As a freshman, I hope he really looked up to the PG on the Varsity team cause it was Jordan Goldwire.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    ^ nice segue to a question I wanted to ask about. I saw jeremy roach is at 80% UK on crystal ball. May not mean much now but didn't know if anyone knew why it looks that way early. I thought I'd read somewhere he really liked Duke.
    We're probably stronger with RJ Hampton in the 2020 class, and he's probably the one we should be rooting hard to land.

I know it'll be asked -- can't they play together? Sure, but Duke is also going hard after Brandon Boston, and at some point, Alex O'Connell will probably become a starter. And then if Duke lands Boogie Ellis in 2019...

Now, the recruiting sands are constantly shifting, especially for a class that's two years out... but you asked, and I'm giving what I think is the current picture.

Thanks Tm. Glad to hear... I love Hampton's game.

Not sure where we are with Jeremy Roach, but top 20 player in 2020 has included Duke in his final 4.

RJ Hampton

“So far I’ve taken one official visit to Memphis. I talk to Coach Penny a lot and Coach Miller just about every day. Kentucky and TCU are heavily involved. Duke has slowed down some, but Michigan and Texas are there. Kansas has been there since Day 1."

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    RJ Hampton

“So far I’ve taken one official visit to Memphis. I talk to Coach Penny a lot and Coach Miller just about every day. Kentucky and TCU are heavily involved. Duke has slowed down some, but Michigan and Texas are there. Kansas has been there since Day 1."
    Rats. I like having an RJ on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Rats. I like having an RJ on the team.
    After cornering the market on Plumlees for a decade, Duke is loading up on Wendell's. R.J. would be cool, too.

I wonder if Duke has decided to prioritize a few other guards in this class. B.J. (so close to R.J.!) Boston has been a priority as a sort of SG version of Brandon Ingram. He's tall, lanky, can really shoot the ball. We are not sure yet if Wendell Moore will be one-and-done caliber (I prefer to wait until the season begins before figuring out if players outside the Top 10 are going to be one-and-done as things can change. For every Frank Jackson, there's a Marques Bolden, after all.). Alex O'Connell and Jordan Goldwire will be seniors, I doubt Tre Jones will be around, but there's a possibility however remote that he could be a junior that season. Joey Baker will be a redshirt sophomore that season most likely. Boogie Ellis is definitely a possibility as a sophomore, as is Wendell Moore to a lesser degree. This is all hard to project based on who goes and who stays, but my best guess is that the team will have the following players on the roster:

PG: Ellis, Goldwire
    SG: Boston, O'Connell
    SF: Moore, Baker

I wonder if the staff sees this and is de-emphasizing R.J. Hampton in favor of Boston at the SG spot and the expectation that there are already 5+ guys (Goldwire being a backup PG playing fewer minutes) that will earn playing time. I like the interchangeable nature of a lot of these guys. There's shooting galore in that group and Baker might even bulk up enough to slot in at the PF spot. I have a hunch that Jalen Johnson is going to be that stretch-4 guy on the team that year. I have no idea who plays center or what other PF's will be on the roster that year.

Not sure why we're "slowing down" on RJ Hampton . . . we desperately need a point guard, not only for next year, but most likely in 2020 as well.

I'm aware RJ is more of a combo guard, but it's not like we have a ready made lead guard on the roster or already committed. I wonder what Coach K's plan is.

Boogie Ellis's first name is Rejean, I think that's close enough to RJ.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Not sure why we're "slowing down" on RJ Hampton . . . we desperately need a point guard, not only for next year, but most likely in 2020 as well.

I'm aware RJ is more of a combo guard, but it's not like we have a ready made lead guard on the roster or already committed. I wonder what Coach K's plan is.
    I'm seeing this point being made, but what about Boogie Ellis makes you think he's not of a similar skillset? He is listed as either a point or scoring guard in almost every scouting report I've read. While he does have more of a scoring mentality than a pass-first approach, is that not the same as R.J. Hampton?

I'm seeing this point being made, but what about Boogie Ellis makes you think he's not of a similar skillset? He is listed as either a point or scoring guard in almost every scouting report I've read. While he does have more of a scoring mentality than a pass-first approach, is that not the same as R.J. Hampton?
    Maybe it's the difference between a top 5 combo guard like Hampton and a top 50 combo guard like Ellis?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Maybe it's the difference between a top 5 combo guard like Hampton and a top 50 combo guard like Ellis?
    I could see that as a valid point. Hampton is considered a stud prospect, a player comfortable with the ball in his hands. Ellis isn't on his level. I would hope a sophomore would be more suited to initiating the offense. FWIW, Ellis is rated as 36th in the 247sports Composite rankings and 26th in their own rankings. Rivals and ESPN both put him at 41st in the class. The bottom line is that he is a high major recruit. Whether he can translate his talents to the college game is another matter.

Sure, Ellis is a nice prospect, but if you're Coach K, are you really banking on him developing into a lead guard, or are you getting as many studs as possible, in case Boogie at PG doesn't work out? He could turn out to be a guy like Nolan Smith, who was a FANTASTIC player, but never became a true point guard.

Even if Hampton also isn't a true point, at least he has the pedigree to be a difference maker right away as a OAD prospect, playing along side Boogie.

More ball handling is never a bad thing.
    Last edited by kAzE; 12-07-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Sure, Ellis is a nice prospect, but if you're Coach K, are you really banking on him developing into a lead guard, or are you getting as many studs as possible, in case Boogie at PG doesn't work out? He could turn out to be a guy like Nolan Smith, who was a FANTASTIC player, but never became a true point guard.

Even if Hampton also isn't a true point, at least he has the pedigree to be a difference maker right away as a OAD prospect, playing along side Boogie.

More ball handling is never a bad thing.
    Excellent point. And obviously, the Scheyer-Smith combo was great for a year or so. I could see a situation in which Duke doesn't have a true PG in 2020-21, but there are 3 or 4 guys that bring the ball up the court and all of them can score.

A name to store in our recruiting logs is Hunter Dickinson. He is a 7'2" center from DeMatha in the D.C.area. He has a long way to go development wise. But he's 2 yrs away from college. Duke has shown some interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    A name to store in our recruiting logs is Hunter Dickinson. He is a 7'2" center from DeMatha in the D.C.area. He has a long way to go development wise. But he's 2 yrs away from college. Duke has shown some interest.
    I'm super curious to see what names emerge as targets for the coaching staff in the frontcourt. Simply put, there are no frontcourt players on the projected roster after the 2019-20 season. Marques Bolden, Javin DeLaurier, and Jack White will all be gone and, unless something drastic happens, Vernon Carey, J. is a one-and-done. The closest thing Duke might have to a frontcourt player on the current roster is Joey Baker, an undersized stretch-4.

Duke is actively pursuing Jalen Johnson, a 6'8" forward from Wisconsin. By all accounts, he is an elite talent capable of playing that Tatum/Ingram stretch-4 role and even facilitating the offense some. I'd be interested to see if Isaiah Todd, a 6'10" forward that recently moved to the Raleigh area also receives an offer. If Dickinson is a multi-year player, it would be great to see him emerge as a target. Notre Dame appears very interested in him. DeMatha is a Catholic school, after all. Then again, Coach K takes communion, too.

I'm super curious to see what names emerge as targets for the coaching staff in the frontcourt. Simply put, there are no frontcourt players on the projected roster after the 2019-20 season. Marques Bolden, Javin DeLaurier, and Jack White will all be gone and, unless something drastic happens, Vernon Carey, J. is a one-and-done. The closest thing Duke might have to a frontcourt player on the current roster is Joey Baker, an undersized stretch-4.

Duke is actively pursuing Jalen Johnson, a 6'8" forward from Wisconsin. By all accounts, he is an elite talent capable of playing that Tatum/Ingram stretch-4 role and even facilitating the offense some. I'd be interested to see if Isaiah Todd, a 6'10" forward that recently moved to the Raleigh area also receives an offer. If Dickinson is a multi-year player, it would be great to see him emerge as a target. Notre Dame appears very interested in him. DeMatha is a Catholic school, after all. Then again, Coach K takes communion, too.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see us target a few long-term projects in the frontcourt with this class. Someone like Jack White or Javin DeLaurier, who will stay 4 years and develop into a playing role. We're running out of multi-year guys, so 2020 might be a good time to restock.