Page 118 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 2439
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I haven't seen Henry Coleman play, but I would like to point out that Lance Thomas was RSCI #20 and Amile Jefferson was RSCI #21, while Henry Coleman is RSCI #49. So, I suppose anything can happen, and recruiting ranking isn't everything and all that, but he's more likely to be the Eric Boateng (#39)/Alex Murphy (#49) of this class than the Lance Thomas/Amile Jefferson.
    In the past weeks, I have watched a lot of Duke BB reruns (much to be preferred over Gilligans Island) I have gained a new appreciation for both Thomas and Jefferson. It is interesting that, since I know the eventual outcome of these games, I can focus more on the individual players.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Oh, it's out there. Sadly, and despite many prognosticators who predict college hoops would die a grim death now that three players have eschewed their eligibility to go to the select team, most of the players have flatly rejected the G League route and its financial enticement.
    In the long run, it’s probably bad financial business for most elite recruits to skip college for the short-term gains offered by the G League. The exposure at Duke (and other high level college hoops programs) helps players create a brand name that results in better shoe contracts, more jersey sales, and life-long fans.

I haven't seen Henry Coleman play, but I would like to point out that Lance Thomas was RSCI #20 and Amile Jefferson was RSCI #21, while Henry Coleman is RSCI #49. So, I suppose anything can happen, and recruiting ranking isn't everything and all that, but he's more likely to be the Eric Boateng (#39)/Alex Murphy (#49) of this class than the Lance Thomas/Amile Jefferson.
    Henry reminds me at first glance of a bigger version of Nate James, though less athletic and explosive. Don't recall Nate's final rankings from HS, but he was a Mickey D.

I suspect it will tough for Coleman to scratch out much PT this year, but could see him evolving into a contributor over the course of his career.

Watching Henry's growth over the last two years as a high school player and in AAU , I think that he will contribute more than Eric and Alex, which was next to nothing. Maybe he could be a Goldwire, or a Brian Davis or a Thomas Hill. Cassius was #33 and he is an OAD. Lance and Amile had higher rankings than Cassius but were at Duke for four years. One thing I hope that Henry has in common with Lance and Amile is a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    Cassius was #33 and he is an OAD.
    Cassius took advantage of having no higher ranked players on the team who played his position to become the *only* Duke freshman in the RSCI era to log 390+ minutes in a season. Henry Coleman has several higher ranked players on his team who play his position. Apples and petunias.

FWIW, Alex Murphy played 194 minutes as a (redshirt) freshman. Personally, I wouldn't characterize that as "next to nothing," and I also wouldn't be surprised if Henry was in that same 200 minute range as a freshman.

Henry Coleman has several higher ranked players on his team who play his position.
    I guess that depends if you consider Coleman a 4 or a 5. If it’s the latter, then arguably he only has Williams ahead of him in the rotation and most agree Williams is likely to max out at 20-25 mpg. Jury is still out on Hurt at the 5.

Cassius took advantage of having no higher ranked players on the team who played his position to become the *only* Duke freshman in the RSCI era to log 390+ minutes in a season. Henry Coleman has several higher ranked players on his team who play his position. Apples and petunias.

FWIW, Alex Murphy played 194 minutes as a (redshirt) freshman. Personally, I wouldn't characterize that as "next to nothing," and I also wouldn't be surprised if Henry was in that same 200 minute range as a freshman.
    Well, technically Alex Murphy didn't play at all as a (true) freshman. I don't think anyone is talking about Coleman being a healthy redshirt in 2021 and playing 194 minutes in 2022.

I've only seen brief snippets of Coleman but I wonder if he's not a bit analogous to Jamal Boykin, the fifth-ranked member of the touted class of 2005-McRoberts, Paulus, Boateng, Pocius. Boykin didn't play much as a freshman, got mono as a sophomore and transferred back home to Cal, where he was an all-conference player. But Boykin was a long, long way from home. Coleman won't be and hopefully we'll have a better outcome. For Duke at least.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 06-07-2020 at 01:04 PM.

On most Duke teams, I don’t think Coleman would see the floor as a freshman.

But on this Duke team, if he can rebound and play good interior D, he might play 10-12 min per game. Seems like a really hard playing kid. Happy to have him.

It is being reported by Score that Kuminga has reclassified into 2020 class

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Oh, now the fun begins!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Every recruiting "insider" suggests that Duke is not legitimately pursuing Kuminga. But just a couple months ago, every recruiting insider also said that Kuminga was not reclassifying. So there you go...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I guess that depends if you consider Coleman a 4 or a 5. If it’s the latter, then arguably he only has Williams ahead of him in the rotation and most agree Williams is likely to max out at 20-25 mpg. Jury is still out on Hurt at the 5.
    Patrick Tapé has to be ahead of him as well as Williams, and while anything could happen I expect Hurt and Johnson and probably even Brakefield to all play more minutes at the 5 than Coleman. Hurt, Johnson, Moore, Baker, and probably Brakefield should all play more minutes at the 4 than Henry as well. Nothing against Henry Coleman, but based on his recruiting ranking I'll be very surprised if he's not Duke's 11th man as a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I've only seen brief snippets of Coleman but I wonder if he's not a bit analogous to Jamal Boykin, the fifth-ranked member of the touted class of 2005-McRoberts, Paulus, Boateng, Pocius. Boykin didn't play much as a freshman, got mono as a sophomore and transferred back home to Cal, where he was an all-conference player. But Boykin was a long, long way from home. Coleman won't be and hopefully we'll have a better outcome. For Duke at least.
    Yeah, this all sounds about right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Do we have a spare scholarship for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    According to this article: https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/04/...lly-finalized/

We have 15 players and 3 walk-ons in Savarino, Worthington and Pierce. So my initial research says a slot is available. Others may be better informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Duke does not appear to be involved in this at all.

Andrew Slater - who is well tapped into the recruiting scene may have dropped a subtle hint about Kuminga to the G-league.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...116027397?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Andrew Slater - who is well tapped into the recruiting scene may have dropped a subtle hint about Kuminga to the G-league.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...116027397?s=20
    JD King said the same thing on the front page.

The G League is the best option for him in the sense he is a player that has openly stated he wants to get to the NBA as soon as he can. Not only will the G League offer that but he will get paid to play too …

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    The G League is the best option for him in the sense he is a player that has openly stated he wants to get to the NBA as soon as he can. Not only will the G League offer that but he will get paid to play too …
    Huh? Yeah, sure, the getting paid to play part is an obvious benefit of going the G League route (although cynics would probably suggest that it's naive to assume he couldn't get paid to play college ball either), but please explain how going to the G League for a year is quicker to getting to the NBA than spending a year at, say, Duke or Kentucky or Arizona or basically anywhere outside of Chapel Hill. It's not like the G League is a minor league for the NBA and Kuminga could get called up to the majors after a short stint on the Select team. Either way, he's playing somewhere for a year.

I don't mean to suggest he'd be better off playing NCAAB for a year over going to the Select team--that's up to him and his family/support system--but only pushing back that somehow the G League is all of a sudden the obvious choice if a highly recruited player wants to go to the NBA quickly. That's simply not true.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Huh? Yeah, sure, the getting paid to play part is an obvious benefit of going the G League route (although cynics would probably suggest that it's naive to assume he couldn't get paid to play college ball either), but please explain how going to the G League for a year is quicker to getting to the NBA than spending a year at, say, Duke or Kentucky or Arizona or basically anywhere outside of Chapel Hill. It's not like the G League is a minor league for the NBA and Kuminga could get called up to the majors after a short stint on the Select team. Either way, he's playing somewhere for a year.

I don't mean to suggest he'd be better off playing NCAAB for a year over going to the Select team--that's up to him and his family/support system--but only pushing back that somehow the G League is all of a sudden the obvious choice if a highly recruited player wants to go to the NBA quickly. That's simply not true.
    Looking at his Wiki bio (always a dangerous proposition), this is likely a kid not getting a ton of guidance. Fortunately, he has an older brother who played at UNLV and Texas Tech so he might have a bit of perspective, but he is a kid who came here from the Congo, did a year of HS in WV, one year on Long Island and now is in NJ. I hope he has people supporting him who are looking out for his best interests. And I'm guessing (I could be wrong) that a few hundred grand from the G League is life changing money for him and his family, compared to a kid like Griffin whose dad has already earned millions.