Page 51 of 122 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2439
    Just so folks know, Kessler went on his UNC visit over the weekend not expecting to commit but came away blown away and changed his mind. Carolina showed him tape of Luke Maye and explained they planned to use him in the same way. Kessler looked at the tape and realized Maye is a fairly similar player. The sucky thing is that Kessler is not a sure-fire OAD kind of player because he is far from an elite athlete so we may be dealing with him for a few years. Ugh.

Oh well, Duke will move on to other kids. I don't think many folks felt we could get all three of Coleman, Williams, and Kessler. The odds of a 2020 kid reclassifying just got a lot more likely.

-Jason "if Kuminga reclassifies and we land him, which seems reasonably likely, I'm not entirely convinced Kessler would have started for Duke" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I think Kessler would have started for sure...he and Kuminga play different positions...gotta get M. Williams now...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think Kessler would have started for sure...he and Kuminga play different positions...gotta get M. Williams now...
    K does not believe in positions and the entire game has been moving more and more to positionless hoops. Johnson and Kuminga would start, for sure. I believe Roach would too. AOC will be a senior and we will want some more perimeter spacing. I believe at least one of our current freshmen will still be around. So will Baker. I think K really might just go small with Kuminga and Johnson as the biggest guys on the floor. Good luck guarding that team in the open floor.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Just so folks know, Kessler went on his UNC visit over the weekend not expecting to commit but came away blown away and changed his mind. Carolina showed him tape of Luke Maye and explained they planned to use him in the same way. Kessler looked at the tape and realized Maye is a fairly similar player. The sucky thing is that Kessler is not a sure-fire OAD kind of player because he is far from an elite athlete so we may be dealing with him for a few years. Ugh.

Oh well, Duke will move on to other kids. I don't think many folks felt we could get all three of Coleman, Williams, and Kessler. The odds of a 2020 kid reclassifying just got a lot more likely.

-Jason "if Kuminga reclassifies and we land him, which seems reasonably likely, I'm not entirely convinced Kessler would have started for Duke" Evans
    Imagine being gullible enough to want to pattern your game after a guy who didn't get drafted and likely won't play in the NBA.

Oh well. Moving on for us. Opens up the path for Mark Williams who is a true 7 footer with great defensive instincts and elite measurables.

Luke Maye certainly exceeded expectations in terms of his contributions and playing time but you could say the same for Marshall Plumlee. Overall, though, if you're a less-than-athletic big or a big who is a "project" you would be better served by going to UNC than Duke, so if Kessler sees himself that way he might be making the right choice for him.

Two things I have learned on Inside Carolina. The don't recruit OADs and unlike the dastardly coach Rat, they don't recruit over.

Chet Holmgren apparently wants to hear from us. I know he's '21 class, but...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/balldur...el-pronto/amp/

Yea, Roy offered him 4-years of playing b-ball at a school with a high % of female students and the added benefit of no class attendance. What a great time for a young kid.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Chet Holmgren apparently wants to hear from us. I know he's '21 class, but...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/balldur...el-pronto/amp/
    His head shot looks like it may have been done by El Greco, or maybe Modigliani.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The logic here seems flawed based on the decision of Kessler. He went to a team that already had a 5-star C that will be a sophomore, another 5-star C committed in the Class of 2020, and then another 3 front-court seniors including an incumbent starter in Garrison Brooks that will almost certainly start and play 25+ minutes a game as a senior. Meanwhile, Duke has 0 frontcourt players committed or returning for 2020. This was not a decision about rosters or playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Luke Maye certainly exceeded expectations in terms of his contributions and playing time but you could say the same for Marshall Plumlee. Overall, though, if you're a less-than-athletic big or a big who is a "project" you would be better served by going to UNC than Duke, so if Kessler sees himself that way he might be making the right choice for him.
    That's an odd argument to make. Marshall Plumlee was a McDonald's All-American and will almost certainly play more NBA games than Luke Maye in their respective careers.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    His head shot looks like it may have been done by El Greco, or maybe Modigliani.
    and listed at 7'0" 190#
    Don't know if he can play, but it is a unique look.

K does not believe in positions and the entire game has been moving more and more to positionless hoops. Johnson and Kuminga would start, for sure. I believe Roach would too. AOC will be a senior and we will want some more perimeter spacing. I believe at least one of our current freshmen will still be around. So will Baker. I think K really might just go small with Kuminga and Johnson as the biggest guys on the floor. Good luck guarding that team in the open floor.
    I was only responding to your assertion that kessler might not be a starter...I strongly dispute that, but I guess we'll never know. Kuminga, Johnson and Kessler would be a nice trio together...

With a name like “Walker,” we should have known he was UNC-bound.

Wow, rough. Welp, gonna be fun to beat his rump for 4 years.

Yeah I know. Because Roy.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The logic here seems flawed based on the decision of Kessler. He went to a team that already had a 5-star C that will be a sophomore, another 5-star C committed in the Class of 2020, and then another 3 front-court seniors including an incumbent starter in Garrison Brooks that will almost certainly start and play 25+ minutes a game as a senior. Meanwhile, Duke has 0 frontcourt players committed or returning for 2020. This was not a decision about rosters or playing time.
    Maybe he doesn't want to be one-and-done...yeah, that's it. He was walking down Franklin Street, scoping all the coeds, figured he'd better put down roots for a few years, knew Roy wouldn't allow him to be one-and-done...yeah, that's the ticket.

Don't bang your head on the Old Well.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I was only responding to your assertion that kessler might not be a starter...I strongly dispute that, but I guess we'll never know. Kuminga, Johnson and Kessler would be a nice trio together...
    Sigh, would you please stop injecting logic and thought into my feeble attempts at rationalizing what would have been a really nice kid to have on the team. Grrrrr.

Sigh, would you please stop injecting logic and thought into my feeble attempts at rationalizing what would have been a really nice kid to have on the team. Grrrrr.
    If it makes you feel better, Kuminga, Johnson, and Mark Williams might be an elite defensive frontcourt.

I had this thought that Kuminga was more of a G/F until watching more of his highlights and reading various scouting reports. The comp I am getting is a lot more like Harry Giles III as a junior. Kid has unlimited bounce, a terror at the rim and on the boards, can run for days and maybe drain a jumper every now and then. He seems to be about 2 inches shorter than Giles was at the time. Kuminga and Johnson are an intriguing pairing in the frontcourt. And Williams as a shot blocking/rebounding/rim-running center is not a bad pairing, either.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    If it makes you feel better, Kuminga, Johnson, and Mark Williams might be an elite defensive frontcourt.

I had this thought that Kuminga was more of a G/F until watching more of his highlights and reading various scouting reports. The comp I am getting is a lot more like Harry Giles III as a junior. Kid has unlimited bounce, a terror at the rim and on the boards, can run for days and maybe drain a jumper every now and then. He seems to be about 2 inches shorter than Giles was at the time. Kuminga and Johnson are an intriguing pairing in the frontcourt. And Williams as a shot blocking/rebounding/rim-running center is not a bad pairing, either.
    Forgive my ignorance, but that trio sounds like a spacing mess, no? Having three players on the floor together who can't threaten a defense with shooting could be problematic. That said, the thought of Johnson & Kuminga together running the break puts a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    and listed at 7'0" 190#
    Don't know if he can play, but it is a unique look.

He's up to #4 in the ESPN 60 2021 recruiting rankings.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2021

#2 247 Composite, ahead of Baldwin and Banchero

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Basketball/RecruitRankings/