Page 75 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 2439
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Oops: "Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski commits a minor NCAA violation by talking about an unsigned Chicago recruit"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...4r4-story.html

"Steward, though, has yet to sign. And NCAA rules prohibit coaches from publicly commenting on verbally committed players."

Raleigh News and Observer stated this AM that Duke will self-report this. I'm not linking their "subscribe to me" plea.
    I think we should fight the NCAA on this. Let's die on that hill like Memphis!

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    I think we should fight the NCAA on this. Let's die on that hill like Memphis!
    Pretty stupid rule, obviously.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Thanks for sharing this.

Steward looks like a great piece as either a lead or off guard next season. We know that Jalen Johnson can handle the ball. Having a player that can get his own shot from the perimeter is a really nice complementary (did I spell it right this time???) piece. Steward and AOC gives Duke a pair of deep threats. Hopefully, Steward can contribute on defense enough to stay on the court.
    While I agree, there's a decent chance Steward is our leading scorer next season. Very excited to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Pretty stupid rule, obviously.
    Pretty careless mistake, obviously.
    Last edited by -jk; 11-10-2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post

Pretty careless mistake, obviously.
    I think both statements are true.

But I still lean on the side that if a player publicly commits to a school with a produced commitment video, interviews, and self-written articles about it, just because he's not in the window of signing the LOI shouldn't preclude the coach and/or team from admitting it happened. I mean, c'mon.

- Chillin

I think both statements are true.

But I still lean on the side that if a player publicly commits to a school with a produced commitment video, interviews, and self-written articles about it, just because he's not in the window of signing the LOI shouldn't preclude the coach and/or team from admitting it happened. I mean, c'mon.

- Chillin
    Dem's the rules. I expect we will get something less than a death sentence.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dem's the rules. I expect we will get something less than a death sentence.
    Lol, I know they're the rules. Which is why my original post was saying it's a pretty stupid rule. Why on Earth would a coach not be allowed to acknowledge a public commitment as publicized by the student athlete?

Look, the NCAA largely has a thankless job. But this is a classic Bilas-ian example of how confoundingly and astoundingly dumb the NCAA's rules can be, in some cases.

- Chillin

ETA: we're going to get some kind of punishment requiring self-learning or attending a compliance session or something. Which is even more hysterical. Coach K could probably teach the session himself.

Lol, I know they're the rules. Which is why my original post was saying it's a pretty stupid rule. Why on Earth would a coach not be allowed to acknowledge a public commitment as publicized by the student athlete?

Look, the NCAA largely has a thankless job. But this is a classic Bilas-ian example of how confoundingly and astoundingly dumb the NCAA's rules can be, in some cases.

- Chillin

ETA: we're going to get some kind of punishment requiring self-learning or attending a compliance session or something. Which is even more hysterical. Coach K could probably teach the session himself.
    Steward will be barred from selecting any restaurants for team dinners his entire freshman year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I have this image of Coach in his office that has an old school chalk board for some reason writing "I will not talk about recruits" 100 times ( in cursive of course).

Teenagers have been known to change their minds. Often, I might add !

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I have this image of Coach in his office that has an old school chalk board for some reason writing "I will not talk about recruits" 100 times ( in cursive of course).
    Cursive? Oh, that would indecipherable to anyone born in this century! Clever!

At first I thought you were referring to Coach's penchant for salty language ...

Jaemyn Brakefield
    @Jaemyn1
    Don’t believe everything y’all hear...

Rumors of him changing his verbal commitment to Ole Miss who had been pursuing him diligently before Duke swept in.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Jaemyn Brakefield
    @Jaemyn1
    Don’t believe everything y’all hear...

Rumors of him changing his verbal commitment to Ole Miss who had been pursuing him diligently before Duke swept in.
    Silly rumor. Nothing has changed since he committed except Williams committing... which was entirely expected and should not be seen as impacting Braekfield's playing time opportunities at all. If anything, the fact that Duke is showing this year that it is willing to go deep and give lots of guys chances should make Braekfield's decision to join the large freshman class even easier. Plus, it is increasingly clear that Hurt will only be at Duke for one year, clearly space at the PF in a big way for Brakefield and Coleman.

I'm not the least bit worried about this commitment.

-Jason "if Banchero or one of the 2021 guys were to reclass, that might be something but that largely appears to be off the table at this time" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Not Duke but Kansas got a commitment from 5-star SG Bryce Thompson today. Ok, OKst, and UNC were his other finalists, though most think Carolina was a longshot. Thompson is a stud shooter who hit better than 45% of his 3s in AAU play this past summer.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Hunter Dickinson update

FWIW, Michigan insiders have been reporting for around a week that Dickinson has an informal top-2 of the Wolverines and Florida State, with Duke seemingly dropping out of the mix.

Other outlets are starting to come around to the idea that top-40 center Hunter Dickinson is informally down to a top two of Michigan and Florida State after my initial report last week. 247 reported the same last week via the Michigan Insider:

“As best as I can tell right now, Duke isn't an option. Sounds like Michigan and Florida State are on the top line, with Notre Dame very much in the mix, but maybe a half step behind.”

I expect a decision at some point during the early-signing period. While Dickinson has played things close to the vest, it appears as though Michigan has a legitimate shot at landing the 7-footer with Duke supposedly no longer in consideration. The depth-chart favors the Wolverines along with the NBA pedigree of Juwan Howard.
    Obviously counting Coach K out when he really wants a player is a mistake, as we've all learned. But Michigan does make a lot of sense with senior 7 footer Jon Teske leaving Ann Arbor after this season and no heir apparent on the roster (fellow 7 footer Austin Davis was a developmental prospect that has been a massive dud, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes his 5th year as a grad transfer elsewhere to get some PT since he redshirted as a freshman... but I digress.). And it became clear in Michigan's first game that Juwan Howard's game plan is going to revolve around getting the ball into the post. If he continues using Teske the way he did in Game 1 moving forward that could be extremely enticing for Dickinson.

He could also go to Florida State, but we all know what happens to seven footers there.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Looks like FSU lost a commitment from a different 2020 big man (and candidate for best name award). Maybe opening up some PT for Dickinson.

Justin Brantley
    @JustinWBrantley
    After much thought & consideration, SPIRE Academy 2020 Forward, Chukwuzimife “Zimi” Nwokeji has made the decision to de-commit from Florida State University in order to open up his recruitment and identify the best opportunity for him to make an immediate impact in a program.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Looks like FSU lost a commitment from a different 2020 big man (and candidate for best name award). Maybe opening up some PT for Dickinson.

Justin Brantley
    @JustinWBrantley
    After much thought & consideration, SPIRE Academy 2020 Forward, Chukwuzimife “Zimi” Nwokeji has made the decision to de-commit from Florida State University in order to open up his recruitment and identify the best opportunity for him to make an immediate impact in a program.
    That is VERY interesting, especially if the Michigan insiders are right in saying Dickinson wants to make a decision soon. Hmmm...
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    That is VERY interesting, especially if the Michigan insiders are right in saying Dickinson wants to make a decision soon. Hmmm...
    The only info I can find about this FSU de-commit is that he is not a Top 200 player in the senior class and is considered more of a small forward (6'7") than a big.

Regarding Dickinson, it seems like everyone is in the dark about his plans and we should just wait until we hear otherwise. Ultimately, I don't see how this changes Duke's strategy for 2020. If Dickinson commits, great! If not, we'll see who is around for the spring signing period. If no one emerges then, the grad transfer market is a final option. It's not the worst position to be in considering Duke already has Mark Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    FWIW, Michigan insiders have been reporting for around a week that Dickinson has an informal top-2 of the Wolverines and Florida State, with Duke seemingly dropping out of the mix.

Obviously counting Coach K out when he really wants a player is a mistake, as we've all learned. But Michigan does make a lot of sense with senior 7 footer Jon Teske leaving Ann Arbor after this season and no heir apparent on the roster (fellow 7 footer Austin Davis was a developmental prospect that has been a massive dud, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes his 5th year as a grad transfer elsewhere to get some PT since he redshirted as a freshman... but I digress.). And it became clear in Michigan's first game that Juwan Howard's game plan is going to revolve around getting the ball into the post. If he continues using Teske the way he did in Game 1 moving forward that could be extremely enticing for Dickinson.

He could also go to Florida State, but we all know what happens to seven footers there.
    Is it true that there is no heir apparent to Teske on Michigan's roster? Not Davis, who I agree has been a dud. But 6'11" Colin Castelton will be a junior next year. He played a little as a freshman under Beilein (although not very impressively in my opinion) and is slated to take on a bigger role this year. He got 12 minutes in the opener. Castleton will be 2 years in the program ahead of Dickinson, so if Howard develops him this year, it seems like he'd be an obstacle to starting or maybe even major minutes for Dickinson as a freshman.

It's possible that Howard will be a big man-centric coach, but I think a game or two this year is too small a sample to determine that. It could also be that this team is pretty short on proven perimeter shooters/slashers so Teske down low is the best first option.

National Signing Day is..

I had not seen it explicitly mentioned, but Fall National Signing Day is (tomorrow) Wednesday November 13, 2019. The Fall National Signing Period Ends November 20, 2019.
    But I'm sure you all knew that.

Historically, those kids that commit, commit early in the day.

Larry
    DevilHorse