Page 32 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I thought I remembered reading several months ago that with the new recruiting calendar imposed by the NCAA, the Peach Jam wasn’t going to happen anymore and would instead be replaced by regional camps run by USA basketball. Am I dreaming?
    That was originally the fear but after much complaining by college coaches, the NCAA reached a compromise where coaches would get one weekend essentially to evaluate AAU. Most of the big-time programs will probably spend most of their time at Peach Jam.

The biggest impact is to the Under Armour and Adidas finals. Whereas they usually wouldn't schedule their finals to occur on the same weekend as Peach Jam and go head to head with Peach Jam, both events obviously have to now, given that coaches are only allowed the one weekend to evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I believe the Peach Jam, in North Augusta,SC. Starts tomorrow. Anyone dropping by ?
    I'm going tomorrow morning with a UK friend of mine. We'll be the ones in the correct and nearly correct shades of blue.

https://247sports.com/Player/DJ-Gordon-46079615/

I read Duke was scouting this 3 star sharpshooter this week.

New Offer Alert: DJ Steward

According to his own twitter account, 6'3" guard DJ Steward has received an offer from Duke. Steward is a combo guard currently attending Whitney Young High School (alma mater of Jahlil Okafor) in Chicago. He appears to be a top 30-ish player in the class of 2020 and holds high interest from Illinois and Louisville.

I don't know much about the kid, but here's a scouting report from 247Sports:

A bit of an undersized scoring guard who can really shoot it. Has a good feel for the game, and at times can handle the point guard position because of his solid ball handling ability and decent passing. Gets a lot done on the court production wise. Defensively he will never be great, but he is athletic enough and just big enough to defend either guard spot. An efficient shooter, Steward knows how to get open and should be someone who finds a way to get buckets no matter the level at which he is playing.
    This kind of reminds me of Quinn Cook later in his Duke career. He can shoot the ball, is a bit undersized to play the SG position, but knows how to play. Given that Alex O'Connell and Jordan Goldwire will be seniors next year (isn't that crazy???), Steward might be an ideal fit to bring into the fold as a multi-year player.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Steward might be an ideal fit to bring into the fold as a multi-year player.
    The way Steward is playing this summer (and the attention he is getting from the basketball superpowers), I suspect he does not see himself as a multi-year player... though his lack of height and athleticism might make the NBA a tough leap for him.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Henry Coleman got an offer this weekend and Duke is showing interest in Hunter Dickinson.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Henry Coleman got an offer this weekend and Duke is showing interest in Hunter Dickinson.
    Seems like Coleman has been holding out for that Duke offer. UVA was on him pretty early but he wasn't ready to commit despite knowing that we only had one spot left. Well, we got a commitment from Jabri Abdur-Rahim (son of Shareef) and our 2020 class is full. I think Duke has to be the favorite to land him now. He could still be waiting on a UNC offer though. Love this kid's game and would have loved to see him in Orange and Blue. I don't see that happening unless he's willing to wait until the spring to commit and UVA has someone leave early or transfer.

think Dickinson interest is to nudge Williams into committing? Or we'd take both?

I think Coleman commits very soon. Good pick up. Multi year player I think although his stock is raising.

Wonder if offering these bigs means that they are losing faith in landing Kessler.

Wonder if offering these bigs means that they are losing faith in landing Kessler.
    or it's a friendly nudge to Kessler.

We won't have any returning big men next year. We're going to need at least 4 new PF/Cs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    We won't have any returning big men next year. We're going to need at least 4 new PF/Cs.
    O'Connell, Goldwire and Baker are the only current players Duke can reasonably expect to have on the 2020-'21 roster. Maybe Moore. Maybe Stanley. But maybe not. We could very well be looking at an eight-player class.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    O'Connell, Goldwire and Baker are the only current players Duke can reasonably expect to have on the 2020-'21 roster. Maybe Moore. Maybe Stanley. But maybe not. We could very well be looking at an eight-player class.
    Wow. 8 recruited/scholarship players would be NUTS. That would be the largest freshman class ever, no? Certainly if you only counted scholarship/recruited players.

I was class of ‘06 (HS class of ‘02)—that class had 6 and was considered really big at the time (effectively 5 Mickie Ds + Lee Melch even though Shelden technically didn’t make Mickie D, but was of that caliber). 8 would be massive, especially if it came with 4-5 Mickie D’s...

Although I’m guessing we get at least 1-2 of the current freshman class to stick around and makes this moot. Fun to think about tho...

(When is the first draft before the high school kids can go pro? I’m guessing some kids will rush to go pro the year before that to avoid the depth in that draft)

Rumors of some very top guys in the 2021 class moving to the 2020 class...things are, as they say, very fluid right now.

Someone let me know when it’s all done and I’ll cheer for whomever wears the uniform.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I would be downright excited about a class featuring a frontcourt of Henry Coleman, Jalen Johnson, Walker Kessler, and Mark Kessler. That would be a great mix of one-and-done and multi-year players for the frontcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Schrödinger's Heel?
    Nope. That's when they are both attending and missing class at the same time.

Which, by the way, was impossible at XNC at the time, because there was no class to attend.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I would be downright excited about a class featuring a frontcourt of Henry Coleman, Jalen Johnson, Walker Kessler, and Mark Kessler. That would be a great mix of one-and-done and multi-year players for the frontcourt.
    Assume you meant “Mark Williams”, not Kessler

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Schrödinger's Heel?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Nope. That's when they are both attending and missing class at the same time.

Couldn't be more wrong. Schrodinger's "cat" experiment depends on there being two equally possible outcomes.

A Heel attending class?

Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    Assume you meant “Mark Williams”, not Kessler
    Yes. Although, two Kesslers would be better than one, no?