Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Players who wanted to come to Duke but went elsewhere

    Other thread got me thinking about this.

    Didn't Casey Jacobsen really want to come to Duke but Dunleavy committed?

    And I thought I remembered reading or hearing somewhere at the time that Baron Davis wanted to come to Duke but something obviously prevented it--i don't remember what it was.

    We ran into Dante Calabria when we were out in Chapel Hill one night and IIRC he said he was interested in Duke but I think the Chris Collins commitment changed things. He was a really nice guy, incidentally.

    Anyone else have any examples beyond what was mentioned in the other thread?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    zion wanted to come to duke for his sophomore season, but went to the NBA
    It's being reported that due to coronavirus fears, Harvard has asked students not to return from spring break, and for classes to be held online.

    Not to be outdone, UNC told students to stop coming to class 27 years ago under Dean Smith.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    zion wanted to come to duke for his sophomore season, but went to the NBA
    Too soon.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Other thread got me thinking about this.

    Didn't Casey Jacobsen really want to come to Duke but Dunleavy committed?

    And I thought I remembered reading or hearing somewhere at the time that Baron Davis wanted to come to Duke but something obviously prevented it--i don't remember what it was.

    We ran into Dante Calabria when we were out in Chapel Hill one night and IIRC he said he was interested in Duke but I think the Chris Collins commitment changed things. He was a really nice guy, incidentally.

    Anyone else have any examples beyond what was mentioned in the other thread?
    Jacobsen wanted Duke to stop recruiting Dunleavy as a condition of his commitment.

    Duke would have taken both. But they preferred Dunleavy if they could only have one.

    Baron Davis? Mike Krzyzewski had to cancel a visit when his mother died. You can connect the dots. Duke ended up with Avery instead.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Shaun Livingston, in a way.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    In the late 1960s, future ABA all star (and eventual NBA player Brian Taylor wanted to come to Duke, but he didn't have the required (at the time) SAT score of 800 (math plus verbal) so he went to Princeton. Hubie Brown was then recruiting him for Duke and was much distraught about this.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    In the late 1960s, future ABA all star (and eventual NBA player Brian Taylor wanted to come to Duke, but he didn't have the required (at the time) SAT score of 800 (math plus verbal) so he went to Princeton. Hubie Brown was then recruiting him for Duke and was much distraught about this.
    LOL, he had a combined SAT score below 800 and he got into Princeton??

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    zion wanted to come to duke for his sophomore season, but went to the NBA
    So did Luol.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    LOL, he had a combined SAT score below 800 and he got into Princeton??
    Safety skool.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post


    Baron Davis? Mike Krzyzewski had to cancel a visit when his mother died. You can connect the dots. Duke ended up with Avery instead.
    At the time it was said Davis was unhappy Coach K cancelled his visit (despite the circumstances) and Coach K was obviously done with Davis. Later, after Davis committed to UCLA, it came out that Davis was driving Harrick's son's car around (they said he bought the car) and there was significant questions about what would happen regarding UCLA/Davis/NCAA. Davis wavered on his commitment and expressed interest in coming to Duke. Coach K understandably gave a hard pass and ended up gambling on William Avery, who had to raise his grades to be admitted to Duke. Avery had an excellent second year at Duke that I thought was overshadowed by the success of Brand and excitement over Magette.

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted: Vintage Duke Posters
    By Cranium in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2018, 12:57 PM
  2. Rumor that Duke wanted G gone
    By IceyTundra in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 03:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •