Page 10 of 122 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Baker’s Ranking indicates he most likelywill be a 4-yr player according to this

https://247sports.com/college/duke/S...lTimeRecruits/

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I'm not advocating for it necessarily, and Im not sure anyone has fully advocated for it. I just would like the question explored. But to your last sentence, a silly one, no one who is advocating for perhaps burning the redshirt is doing so 'for garbage time.' This came up as Duke was shooting less than 20% from three over four full games, and only AOC was shooting decent on the roster. The theory was he could possibly help in that regard in a meaningful way. Maybe he could, and maybe he couldn't, but garbage time has ZIP ZERO NADA to do with this conversation.

I also would like to know where you get your inside info...
    If you’re not advocating burning the redshirt, I’ll bow out of the discussion. But your posts would be more effective if you cut the “silly” stuff.

I'm not advocating for it necessarily, and Im not sure anyone has fully advocated for it. I just would like the question explored. But to your last sentence, a silly one, no one who is advocating for perhaps burning the redshirt is doing so 'for garbage time.' This came up as Duke was shooting less than 20% from three over four full games, and only AOC was shooting decent on the roster. The theory was he could possibly help in that regard in a meaningful way. Maybe he could, and maybe he couldn't, but garbage time has ZIP ZERO NADA to do with this conversation.
    Well, you say it wouldn't be for garbage time, but unless you think he'd jump past Javin and Alex on the depth chart, I don't see how he'd get too many meaningful minutes. If K thought shooting was more important than defense, he would have already been playing Alex big minutes.

I'm not advocating for it necessarily, and Im not sure anyone has fully advocated for it. I just would like the question explored.
    I suspect the question was explored extensively by Baker, his family, Coach K, and the rest of the coaching staff. We are merely witness to their decision.

Let's be clear, the expectation was that Baker would arrive on the Duke roster in the fall of 2019. That is when his high school class goes to school. That is the class into which he was recruited. But, an opportunity arose (thanks to Baker's accelerated school work) for him to come to Duke a year early. Rather than playing high school ball, he could spend a year practicing against college players and acclimating to the change that is college life. Duke and Baker thought that would be an excellent idea so they did it.

I never saw this as a "should we redshirt him" question. Baker is merely doing what was expected. The question was "is he so special that we should play him a year earlier than expected?" The answer was no.

-Jason "can we put this one to bed now? What is it even doing in this thread anyway?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, you say it wouldn't be for garbage time, but unless you think he'd jump past Javin and Alex on the depth chart, I don't see how he'd get too many meaningful minutes. If K thought shooting was more important than defense, he would have already been playing Alex big minutes.
    To be more precise, I said the theory upon which taking off the redshirt makes sense would NOT be for garbage time...ie...no one who was advocating for this - which I was not necessarily - or even pursuing the discussion - was doing it with garbage time in mind. (And by the way, it was this year's frosh class who insisted Joey join them for the SI photo shoot. Just sayin...)

And again, to be precise, this notion really didn't come up for the most part until an historically poor four game shooting display. Nobody said burn the redshirt even if he's not ready to do anything but garbage time.

What are the chances he will stay all five years?
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    A guy outside the top-20 is more likely to be around for four years than to be early-entry.
    For what it is worth, Baker was ranked #37 in the final RSCI rankings. As far as I can tell, of the 100 guys who were ranked 25-49 in the final RSCI rankings between 2011 and 2014,

- 26 were drafted by the NBA within 4 years of their HS class entering college.
    - 8 were not drafted, but have played at least one NBA game.

Based on this, you could say that 34 of the 100 players ranked 25-49 in the RSCI between 2011 and 2014 were "ready for the NBA" within 4 years of entering college.

Conversely, you could say that approximately two-thirds of players ranked 25-49 were probably not "ready for the NBA" after their 4th year in college and, thus, would have been good candidates to return for a 5th year if they had the option.

Baker's prospects to be "NBA ready" by the end of the 2021-22 college season may or may not be typical of this group. Of course, even if he is "not NBA ready" by the end of the 2021-22 season, there is also a chance that he will not be at Duke for a 5th year in 2022-23 .
    Last edited by House P; 01-30-2019 at 09:39 AM.

if Baker was better than White, he'd be on the floor. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    if Baker was better than White, he'd be on the floor. It's that simple.
    It's actually more nuanced than that. Based on what I've heard and seen, White is indeed overall a better player than Baker.

But imagine they were roughly equal. Further imagine that roster composition suggested you could only play one, while redshirting the other.

Who would benefit more from that redshirt, a still-physically-developing freshman who reclassified and moved up a year or a physically mature junior?

Baker is sitting out this season because there's no guarantee he would see significant PT but also because he should benefit from a redshirt year more than anyone else on the team, especially in the weight room.

Rivals updated their Top 150 for the Class of 2020. Some notable rankings (and movement from the last listing):

3. (+2) Jalen Johnson, 6'8" SF, Glendale, WI
    5. (-1) R.J. Hampton, 6'5" PG, Little Elm, TX
    7. (+1) Brandon "B.J." Boston, 6'6" SG, Norcross, GA
    16. (+8) Sharife Cooper, 5'11" PG, Powder Springs, GA
    19. (-10) Walker Kessler, 7'0" C, College Park, GA
    21 (-5) Jeremy Roach, 6'0" PG, Fairfax, VA
    42. (+1) Henry Coleman, 6'7" PF, Richmond, VA
    53. (no change) Marcus Bagley, 6'7" SF, Sacramento, CA

Coleman recently paid a visit to Duke, although I do not believe he has received a scholarship offer yet. Neither has Marcus Bagley, but I thought some of you might be interested in seeing where he stacks up here.

how likely is an offer to marcus bagley? he's probably not a "tier 1" recruit but it's good to take care of family.

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    how likely is an offer to marcus bagley? he's probably not a "tier 1" recruit but it's good to take care of family.
    A lot could and probably will change by 2020-21. That being said, there is a scenario where Bagley could be a contributor in due time.

O'Connell will be a senior, Joey Baker a redshirt-sophomore and the possibility of any or all of Wendell Moore, Jalen Johnson, Brandon Boston, and maybe another wing/forward like Henry Coleman could be on the roster that year. After that year, O'Connell graduates and any or all of Moore (if he even stays for a sophomore year), Johnson, and Boston would be "at risk" of going pro. That would leave a big hole for a sophomore Bagley to fill, along with a redshirt-junior Joey Baker as well as any Class of 2021 wings/forward being targeted.

So your guess is as good as mine.

Walker Kessler was on an official visit to Duke today and took in the St. John's game (picture courtesy of Adam Zagoria via twitter)

Thanks!

Thanks for your contributions to the recruiting threads. I love to read about possible Duke stars of the future. Sure beats some of the arguing and look at me posts. GoDuke!

He really looks like Grayson's big little brother

I really didn’t see it.... until that picture!

okay . . the resemblance is pretty incredible.

“Walker”? Sounds like a UNC kid.

Kessler, Grayson and Ted Cruz would be quite the formidable squad for the Big3 league, if that is still around.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Kessler, Grayson and Ted Cruz would be quite the formidable squad for the Big3 league, if that is still around.
    Wonder what Kessler and Allen would look like with a beard.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Wonder what Kessler and Allen would look like with a beard.
    Alana or Joey?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.