Page 93 of 122 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 2439
    I guess a good question might be would there be room for both Johnson and Kuminga?

It is always fun to discuss duke recruiting and potential future rosters. However I don’t get excited until the pickup games in August before the season. Then everyone is as great as nick horvath.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    I guess a good question might be would there be room for both Johnson and Kuminga?
    Probably. I don't know how they would fit together on the court as neither is considered much of a shooter. Johnson is considered a high level facilitator and an absolute killer in transition. Think RJ Barrett but more of a forward. Kuminga is considered the highest level of athlete but somewhat less developed in his shooting. But we have seen players like them succeed on the court together.

All speculation about Kuminga 1) reclassifying, and 2) being all that interested in Duke (relative to any other school) is speculation. It seems unlikely but not out of the question that both 1) and 2) happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The only thing that is unprecedented about the situation is that we are not aware of why Johnson left IMG. Other recruits have come to Duke old for their class (see Stanley, Cassius) or left school unexpectedly (see Bagley III, Marvin). There have even been players that have left their school mid-season (see Giles II, Harry). The thing that makes this situation unique is that lack of follow-up information about Johnson. There was no information given.

I don't have any details on the situation, but I can see a few reasons for this. One is a disagreement with the coaching staff. This could be an issue about an injury where Johnson felt fine but the staff didn't want to risk anything. Or vice versa (anyone remember when Kawhii Leonard left San Antonio?). That could have led to a simmering disagreement between the player and his family and coaches. Another reason could be entirely separate from basketball. Perhaps Johnson committed a violation of some kind, either academic or drug-related. I've seen rumors on social media to that effect.

At the end of the day, the situation is what it is. Johnson is committed to Duke at the moment and I am sure the coaching staff will work with him up until the point that he is either on campus or decides never to come to Duke. From everything I have read about him, the kid seems like a great kid and he is strongly committed to being at Duke next year. I'll choose to believe that unless there are other, more compelling reasons to change my mind.

The real risk here is dealing in speculation. Could he go pro? Will he even be eligible? Is he in some kind of trouble? Those questions have no answers for us on this board. And asking them has the downside risk of tarnishing his name, his reputation, or alienating him from Duke fans without any evidence. I choose not to peddle in that. To each their own, I suppose.
    Regarding Johnson's departure from IMG, there has been quite of bit of speculation and also some rumors that I won't post here. Even more cryptic, Johnson posted (actually a re-tweet) on his Twitter account shortly after leaving the school "Don't believe everything you read."

So, whatever. I imagine he was just homesick and/or missed the life of a regular 17/18 year old kid. Playing a sport at IMG is a very different lifestyle than he had over his first 3 years of high school.

Regardless, I wouldn't be worried about him skipping Duke and going pro. Pretty much everything else on his Twitter feed is Duke related, including his profile picture, in which he is prominently wearing a Duke jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    SNIP...
    Regardless, I wouldn't be worried about him skipping Duke and going pro. Pretty much everything else on his Twitter feed is Duke related, including his profile picture, in which he is prominently wearing a Duke jersey.
    FWIW (not much, certainly), Jalen took photos with Jayson Tatum after the Bucks-Cs game last night. #Brotherhood

Assuming at least two players leave early for the NBA or other reasons, the answer is yes.

A big IF... Duke does get Kuminga and Johnson they could play the 3 and 4, but neither are known for their shooting. Add that with Mark Williams who is developing his skills offensively and Roach, who is also not known for his shooting, then the opposing teams will defend just like last year. Good thing Stewart can shoot the ball.

Not sure of how K will adjust the line up because his most talented players will be the Fr but starting 5?

A big IF... Duke does get Kuminga and Johnson they could play the 3 and 4, but neither are known for their shooting. Add that with Mark Williams who is developing his skills offensively and Roach, who is also not known for his shooting, then the opposing teams will defend just like last year. Good thing Stewart can shoot the ball.

Not sure of how K will adjust the line up because his most talented players will be the Fr but starting 5?
    I think it is safe to assume for the time being that Kuminga will not be on Duke's roster next year unless something dramatic happens. In fact, I think it is more likely that Matthew Hurt is a sophomore at Duke next year than Jonathan Kuminga is a freshman. I don't think either is likely.

I can see that.

I too don't think Hurt will be back and Kuminga, well no one knows

I think it is safe to assume for the time being that Kuminga will not be on Duke's roster next year unless something dramatic happens. In fact, I think it is more likely that Matthew Hurt is a sophomore at Duke next year than Jonathan Kuminga is a freshman. I don't think either is likely.
    How come David (Kuminga)?

Not a gotcha question, genuinely interested. Corey Evans with rivals has already gone on record as saying he expects Kuminga to pull a Bagley--reclassify late summer and commit to Duke. And that's coming from a Kentucky guy, so to speak.

Just because players aren't "known for their shooting" doesn't mean they can't improve their shooting. I'm sure both Johnson and Roach will be shooting threes at Duke. Zion Williamson was not "known" for his shooting, but he shot a better percentage from deep than Cam Reddish, who was supposed to be a great shooter.

Furthermore, Joey Baker and possibly Matthew Hurt will be on the team to provide shooting. Maybe even AOC will finally be a reliable shooter as a senior (though I have no expectations for him).

As long as Steward is as good as advertised, I am not worried about shooting on next year's roster, even if we land Kuminga.

I'll take the bird in the hand - all day every day.

Hurt returning would be HUGE for Duke. He could be a dominant player on BOTH ends of the floor in year two.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I'll take the bird in the hand - all day every day.

Hurt returning would be HUGE for Duke. He could be a dominant player on BOTH ends of the floor in year two.
    Agree that Hurt should probably return. Just don’t see NBA for him in next 1-2 years. But will he see it that way??

Staying/going ? Reclassification or not ? How much consideration is being given to the NBA Players negotiations ?

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    How come David (Kuminga)?

Not a gotcha question, genuinely interested. Corey Evans with rivals has already gone on record as saying he expects Kuminga to pull a Bagley--reclassify late summer and commit to Duke. And that's coming from a Kentucky guy, so to speak.
    For starters, Kuminga himself has said on more than one occasion that he has no plans to reclassify. I take him at his word. He could change his mind and might do that. It happens. But it's still not what he is saying.

Second, if he were seriously considering playing in college next season, he would probably be doing things like setting up official visits. Terrence Clarke, a player that already reclassified, released a final list of schools, took official visits, released a timeline for a decision, etc. Kuminga isn't doing any of that. He's not released a list of final 10 or 5 or whatever. He isn't setting up visits. There is hardly any word about schools he is considering.

And that is the final thing for me. There are no rumors going around from insiders that suggest he is looking at school X, Y, or Z. From what I have read and heard, Duke is one of many suitors. There are only 4 selections for Kuminga on the 247 Crystal Ball. One is for Duke, from a UK insider. Andrew Slater, a Duke insider, picked LSU in October while Chad Lykins, another Duke guy, picked "cloudy." The Duke guys don't know if Kuminga is seriously looking at Duke and the one that tends to have the most insider knowledge, Slater, hasn't tipped his hand in Duke's favor. Everyone is going to want Kuminga. Coach K and the coaching staff are showing their interest, attending his games, etc. But it just doesn't look like a recruitment where Duke is the favorite, at least to me.

That's just my take. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. Just consider me skeptical about Kuminga and Duke for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Just because players aren't "known for their shooting" doesn't mean they can't improve their shooting. I'm sure both Johnson and Roach will be shooting threes at Duke. Zion Williamson was not "known" for his shooting, but he shot a better percentage from deep than Cam Reddish, who was supposed to be a great shooter.

Furthermore, Joey Baker and possibly Matthew Hurt will be on the team to provide shooting. Maybe even AOC will finally be a reliable shooter as a senior (though I have no expectations for him).

As long as Steward is as good as advertised, I am not worried about shooting on next year's roster, even if we land Kuminga.
    At this point in his prep career the narrative on Jayson Tatum was that he wasn't a shooter.

For starters, Kuminga himself has said on more than one occasion that he has no plans to reclassify. I take him at his word. He could change his mind and might do that. It happens. But it's still not what he is saying.

Second, if he were seriously considering playing in college next season, he would probably be doing things like setting up official visits. Terrence Clarke, a player that already reclassified, released a final list of schools, took official visits, released a timeline for a decision, etc. Kuminga isn't doing any of that. He's not released a list of final 10 or 5 or whatever. He isn't setting up visits. There is hardly any word about schools he is considering.

And that is the final thing for me. There are no rumors going around from insiders that suggest he is looking at school X, Y, or Z. From what I have read and heard, Duke is one of many suitors. There are only 4 selections for Kuminga on the 247 Crystal Ball. One is for Duke, from a UK insider. Andrew Slater, a Duke insider, picked LSU in October while Chad Lykins, another Duke guy, picked "cloudy." The Duke guys don't know if Kuminga is seriously looking at Duke and the one that tends to have the most insider knowledge, Slater, hasn't tipped his hand in Duke's favor. Everyone is going to want Kuminga. Coach K and the coaching staff are showing their interest, attending his games, etc. But it just doesn't look like a recruitment where Duke is the favorite, at least to me.

That's just my take. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. Just consider me skeptical about Kuminga and Duke for the time being.

Understood... thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'll admit to my own confirmation bias, as I'm hopeful he'll reclassify and come to Duke. I think he and Johnson would be a heckuva pairing, and that's no knock on any of our other guys (returning players or recruits). I just think he's a monster talent.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Understood... thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'll admit to my own confirmation bias, as I'm hopeful he'll reclassify and come to Duke. I think he and Johnson would be a heckuva pairing, and that's no knock on any of our other guys (returning players or recruits). I just think he's a monster talent.
    I agree with that! He is a heck of a talent. But I have a feeling that Duke is going to be fine with or without Kuminga in the next couple years.

Duke has an absolutely loaded 2020 class and will have at least 3 (Baker, AOC, JGold) significant contributors from the current team coming back (there seems to be some feeling that 1-3 additional NBA prospects could return to Duke). Why are we obsessed with adding one more player who has repeatedly stated he has no plans on reclassifying.

If we do add Kuminga, I strongly suspect someone who has already committed to Duke will go elsewhere (I fear there is a possibility of that already depending on the decisions of some of our freshmen). I do not want to see that happen**.

-Jason "**I wish Boogie Ellis had not changed his mind either... though I am quite happy with Cassius!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Duke has an absolutely loaded 2020 class and will have at least 3 (Baker, AOC, JGold) significant contributors from the current team coming back (there seems to be some feeling that 1-3 additional NBA prospects could return to Duke). Why are we obsessed with adding one more player who has repeatedly stated he has no plans on reclassifying.

If we do add Kuminga, I strongly suspect someone who has already committed to Duke will go elsewhere (I fear there is a possibility of that already depending on the decisions of some of our freshmen). I do not want to see that happen**.

-Jason "**I wish Boogie Ellis had not changed his mind either... though I am quite happy with Cassius!" Evans
    Since you brought him up Jason, how is Boogie doing at Memphis? Is he putting up numbers?