Page 120 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122 LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 2439

Yes, and if i recall correctly Bobby Hurley wanted uncch. Grant Hill was at least seriously interested in Georgetown. If the linked story is correct the young man's decision to reject Duke was his own. Assuming that Duke offered Caleb (i sure have no knowledge one way or the other) the story does not make clear that the Duke offer was withdrawn. The implication is that Caleb wanted Duke but on his own terms which were no serious competition for the starter PG job. Caleb has every right to establish his own criteria in making an important choice. We've been told repeatedly that Krzyzewski does not promise playing time. That may have played a major role in his giving Kris Humphries a release from his commitment. K has certainly earned the right to offer whom he wants and to base his offers on what he thinks is best for his team. If, as the story implies, Caleb could have come and chose not to because Duke offered Roach, - well that's his decision, just as it's K's decision to make or withhold offers. Good luck to Caleb. Next play.

^ I remember reading an account by Grant Hill concerning his visit to Georgetown, where they plunked a book in front of him and asked him to read some paragraphs, seemingly (in Grant's view) to see if he was literate. This did not go over well.
    Thank you, Georgetown.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ I remember reading an account by Grant Hill concerning his visit to Georgetown, where they plunked a book in front of him and asked him to read some paragraphs, seemingly (in Grant's view) to see if he was literate. This did not go over well.
    Thank you, Georgetown.
    A "u"nc recruit *might* have asked, "Will I have to do this if I attend your school?"
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    A "u"nc recruit *might* have asked, "Will I have to do this if I attend your school?"
    It would have been a prank there and they would have had a good laugh about it.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    A UNC recruit wouldn't have been able to identify the object and thus would not have been able to associate it with the foreign concept of going to school.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    A UNC recruit wouldn't have been able to identify the object and thus would not have been able to associate it with the foreign concept of going to school.
    Ha! I thought about that response but gave their recruits credit for at least being able to identify the object.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Thank you, Georgetown.
    Sigh. There are kids growing up now that will never hold a book. Nor will they be able to decipher cursive handwriting.

It is sad that the "business" of winning college basketball games so overwhelmed the NCAA mission of student athletics that such stereotypes arose, which are such an insult to Grant and so many great players that took academics seriously. Duke has certainly been blessed with more than its share.

The big picture... who really cares because he is at UNC, didnt choose Duke and Duke has both Roach and Steward.

Bacot originally wanted Duke too...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Sigh. There are kids growing up now that will never hold a book. Nor will they be able to decipher cursive handwriting.

It is sad that the "business" of winning college basketball games so overwhelmed the NCAA mission of student athletics that such stereotypes arose, which are such an insult to Grant and so many great players that took academics seriously. Duke has certainly been blessed with more than its share.
    One would think that everyone at Gtown should have been aware that Grant's daddy went to Yale, but evidently not.

Theo Pinson wanted to come to Duke too.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So did J.P. Tokoto.

I assume most DBR readers are familiar with the Bobby Hurley story. He was the second-ranked PG in the prep class of 1989, behind Kenny Anderson. Duke, UNC and Georgia Tech were among the schools recruiting both.

Bob Hurley, Sr. approached both Dean Smith and Mike Krzyzewski with a simple proposition. If my son commits to you, will you stop recruiting Anderson?

Smith said no, K said yes and the rest is, as we say, history.

And Bill Guthridge told Jason Williams that he didn't think he could play point guard at Carolina.

"He" being Williams, of course. Guthridge was way too old to play PG by that time.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So did I.

One would think that everyone at Gtown should have been aware that Grant's daddy went to Yale, but evidently not.
    And his Mom Janet, now a Duke trustee, was Hillary Clinton's suite-mate at Wellesley.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    That's a HUGE get. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That's a HUGE get. Wow.
    I'm gonna go ahead and predict right now that Blakeney is going to start consistently bringing in top 25 recruiting classes at Howard. 5 Star Mikey Williams is doing cartwheels on Twitter today celebrating the Makur commitment.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I seriously doubt Makur goes to school. G League or overseas pro league are more suited. Just my useless opinion.

Regardless...

This is huge for Blakeney and Howard. Could be the beginning of a new program of strength! Congratulations Kenny!

Quote Originally Posted by revmel53 View Post
    This is huge for Blakeney and Howard. Could be the beginning of a new program of strength! Congratulations Kenny!
    What's significant, if Maker actually goes to Howard, is a potential trend toward HBCU's among top prospects. Good for Kenny Blakeney and Howard.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013