Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2018 NFL Draft thread

Didn't Jason used to do a DBR NFL draft thingy, where someone would take a team and draft for them when it was their turn.
    How can Cleveland screw this one up? seems to be a prevalent question. And what do the G-men do at #2. Being a Cowboy fan and having cut Dez, I'm sure Dallas will pick at least one receiver fairly early. DB is always a need. Maybe the heir-apparent for the nearly ancient Jason Witten. Good pass-ruchers are always needed, but Dallas is pretty good there if healthy.
    Being in central Va., the Redskins are always on-topic. They could always use better defenders and receivers, IMO. With Capt. Kirk gone and Alex Smith in, this will be an interesting season; I thought the 'Skins screwed up by not locking up Cousins with a long-term deal.
    Feel free to chime in!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    How can Cleveland screw this one up? seems to be a prevalent question.
    I'm sure they will find a way.

If I was drafting for Cleveland, I'd take Saquon Barkley #1 and a quarterback at #4. I'm confident there are a lot of differing opinions out there.
    Bob Green

Didn't Jason used to do a DBR NFL draft thingy, where someone would take a team and draft for them when it was their turn.
    How can Cleveland screw this one up? seems to be a prevalent question. And what do the G-men do at #2. Being a Cowboy fan and having cut Dez, I'm sure Dallas will pick at least one receiver fairly early. DB is always a need. Maybe the heir-apparent for the nearly ancient Jason Witten. Good pass-ruchers are always needed, but Dallas is pretty good there if healthy.
    Being in central Va., the Redskins are always on-topic. They could always use better defenders and receivers, IMO. With Capt. Kirk gone and Alex Smith in, this will be an interesting season; I thought the 'Skins screwed up by not locking up Cousins with a long-term deal.
    Feel free to chime in!!!
    I've been hearing rumors they are suddenly interested in Baker Mayfield and could take him at #1. That's one way they could screw it up. I have no idea how Baker will do in the NFL, but he's not the #1 pick in the draft. That would be a huge mistake.

Then again, that could all be smoke and mirrors, because everyone lies leading up to the draft. Time will tell.

Since Cleveland got a team again (1999), they've had one double-digit win season (10 wins in 2007) ... and they didn't even make the playoffs that year!

Butch Davis took them to their only playoffs in that span, w/ 9 wins a few years prior.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I've been hearing rumors they are suddenly interested in Baker Mayfield and could take him at #1. That's one way they could screw it up. I have no idea how Baker will do in the NFL, but he's not the #1 pick in the draft. That would be a huge mistake.

Then again, that could all be smoke and mirrors, because everyone lies leading up to the draft. Time will tell.
    I think they are trying to drum up some value for their first pick. I think they would like to trade down to 5 and end up with Barkly AND one of their top 2 quarterbacks plus another first round or high second round pick.

Not sure how threatening to take Mayfield at 1 makes that pick more valuable though. Maybe to convince the other GMs that Cleveland is run by idiots and trading with them is a no-lose proposition.

I am interested in where Lamar Jackson goes, particularly after the success Deshaun Watson had last year.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I think they are trying to drum up some value for their first pick. I think they would like to trade down to 5 and end up with Barkly AND one of their top 2 quarterbacks plus another first round or high second round pick.

Not sure how threatening to take Mayfield at 1 makes that pick more valuable though. Maybe to convince the other GMs that Cleveland is run by idiots and trading with them is a no-lose proposition.

I am interested in where Lamar Jackson goes, particularly after the success Deshaun Watson had last year.
    To your point, I think Cleveland has a lot more incentive to be secretive and spread rumors about their plans than other teams in the past because they also have the 4th pick, so even if they are not planning to trade #1, who they might take at #1 could influence the value they potentially could get if they try to trade #4.

Here in NY there are rumors flying everywhere about the plans for the Giants and Jets. If a decent package is offered, I think the Giants should trade down as they have multiple needs. Barkley would be a great player but last year their line was horrible so I'm not sure how much he could do - adding Solder will help a lot, but it won't solve the whole problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    To your point, I think Cleveland has a lot more incentive to be secretive and spread rumors about their plans than other teams in the past because they also have the 4th pick, so even if they are not planning to trade #1, who they might take at #1 could influence the value they potentially could get if they try to trade #4.

Here in NY there are rumors flying everywhere about the plans for the Giants and Jets. If a decent package is offered, I think the Giants should trade down as they have multiple needs. Barkley would be a great player but last year their line was horrible so I'm not sure how much he could do - adding Solder will help a lot, but it won't solve the whole problem.
    I've been hearing the same thing on talk radio. Everyone wants the Giants to draft Barkley, but there are fears(among fans and talking heads) that they will take a guard or something boring.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    If I were Cleveland, I would seriously consider drafting Barkley 1, Chubb 4, and roll with Tyrod Taylor. They are not going to the playoffs this year and they will get other opportunities to get a franchise quarterback. Stockpile talent until you reach the talent tipping point like Jacksonville did. I am not all that impressed with the QB's in the draft this year. That said, I do watch college football and Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield are the best I saw. The other three were okay I guess. That is were the translation into NFL potential is key. For me, I would take someone I saw play great, and those two did in my eyes.

As a Raiders fan I am torn. They need help on all levels defensively and they are in dire need of OT's both left and right. I would like to see if the Pats would trade the 23rd and 31st picks for the 10th. When you have a bunch of needs, more picks is better than a few high ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson are very different QBs imo. Watson is and was a much more skilled thrower in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    If I were Cleveland, I would seriously consider drafting Barkley 1, Chubb 4, and roll with Tyrod Taylor. They are not going to the playoffs this year and they will get other opportunities to get a franchise quarterback. Stockpile talent until you reach the talent tipping point like Jacksonville did. I am not all that impressed with the QB's in the draft this year. That said, I do watch college football and Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield are the best I saw. The other three were okay I guess. That is were the translation into NFL potential is key. For me, I would take someone I saw play great, and those two did in my eyes.

As a Raiders fan I am torn. They need help on all levels defensively and they are in dire need of OT's both left and right. I would like to see if the Pats would trade the 23rd and 31st picks for the 10th. When you have a bunch of needs, more picks is better than a few high ones.
    You were impressed with Lamar? He has been a terrible college qb and would make an even worse NFL qb. He can run but that is it, he should switch to wr or scat back.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson are very different QBs imo. Watson is and was a much more skilled thrower in college.
    We could argue how "much" more skilled Watson was in college, but I generally concede that point.

My point is that Watson was the third quarterback taken, and was devalued by some as not a "pure" quarterback, largely because his athleticism rescued so many plays in college. I view Jackson in a similar light, a strong leader who will make plays to win games.

I'd be excited if my Steelers drafted Jackson.

If I was a Browns fan I would hope to snag Barkley and Chubb. Look for a qb later or just next year.

What if the Browns take one of Chubb/Barkley/QB at the #1 and trade the #4 to Buffalo so they fall back to #12 plus gain additional picks. That seems the best outcome imo if you truly feel you need that much
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    He has been a terrible college qb and would make an even worse NFL qb.
    I agree wholeheartedly. If I'm an NFL GM, no way I am drafting Lamar Jackson to be my quarterback.
    Bob Green

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. If I'm an NFL GM, no way I am drafting Lamar Jackson to be my quarterback.
    I am surprised by this. He was not a terrible college QB. That is just silly. He won a Heisman, is very athletic, and is an underrated passer. His skills may or may not translate to the pros, but he was must see tv in college.

Could the Browns...

take Barkley, Chubb and then get Kyle Lauletta from Richmond later on, let Lauletta be tutored by Taylor for a year and adjust after that? If I'm a browns fan, I want to get awesome value in those picks at 1 and 4, not a flyer on a possibly good/great QB. The Browns won't be good this year anyway, so they should have a good chance of an early 1st round pick again next year. Tyrod's not a bad qb and has at least a few years of service left, build the O around him for the future, IMO.

As a browns fan, seeing them pass up some franchise qbs in the last few years has made me come to the conclusion that they need to draft the best QB available. It’s the most important position in all of sports.

take Barkley, Chubb and then get Kyle Lauletta from Richmond later on, let Lauletta be tutored by Taylor for a year and adjust after that? If I'm a browns fan, I want to get awesome value in those picks at 1 and 4, not a flyer on a possibly good/great QB. The Browns won't be good this year anyway, so they should have a good chance of an early 1st round pick again next year. Tyrod's not a bad qb and has at least a few years of service left, build the O around him for the future, IMO.
    That's what I would do.

I am shocked by the people who say the browns should pass on a QB. They have had like 20 starting qbs in 15 years and they have passed on some great ones.

2017-Watson
    2016- wentz
    2014- brigewater, Carr

I could go on and on. It’s painful as a Cleveland fan. If they don’t secure a franchise QB, my time as a fan may be over. I’m that sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I am shocked by the people who say the browns should pass on a QB. They have had like 20 starting qbs in 15 years and they have passed on some great ones.

2017-Watson
    2016- wentz
    2014- brigewater, Carr

I could go on and on. It’s painful as a Cleveland fan. If they don’t secure a franchise QB, my time as a fan may be over. I’m that sick of it.
    Only makes sense if you think one of these guys is a legitimate long-term franchise QB...and why does everyone (including the Vikings organization) think so highly of Bridgewater? I would put him in the same class as Derek Anderson or Tyrod Taylor...decent players but not "franchise" guys that you would build around.

Ummm, I don't mean to be mean but y'all would be terrible NFL GMs. I love Barkley and think he is going to be an outstanding pro, but taking him in the first few picks is insane. Want to know why? Because of the salary cap. The NFL is all about putting together the best team you can under the cap. If you have cap room, you can go out and get pretty much anything you want. There is plenty of free agent movement in the NFL. It is all about finding a way to fit the players you want into your cap space. And the draft is all about finding players who can fill a need and not fill up your cap space. And that brings us to the folly of using a high draft pick on a running back.

Running back is one of the least valuable positions in the modern NFL. It is pretty easy to find a RB for relatively cheap. What's more, even great RBs don't seem to have a huge impact on the success of a team. When Pitt is without Leveon Bell, they play DeAngelo Williams and they do just fine. The Cowboys average more yards per rush when they rush someone not named Ezekiel Elliott. Most of the best teams in the NFL don't even have decent running backs. The Patriots have had like 6 different guys as their main back the past few seasons. The Eagles were another team that went RB-by-committee and their leading rusher was a guy the Pats just tossed aside. Everyone thinks Bell is the best RB in the NFL right now, but does anyone think he is the key to Pittsburgh's success this season?

Just look at RB salaries. If the Giants take Barkley #2, his draft slotted contract will make him around $8 mil per year over the next 4 years. That would put him alongside Leshon McCoy and Devonta Freeman as the biggest contracts for any RB in the NFL. Why would you take a risk on a draft pick who might be great when you could pay the exact same amount for a guy you know is great? Why are you drafting a guy to make him the highest paid player in the league at his position? Can't we agree that seems insane?

Top WRs make $15+ mil per season. Top offensive linemen make $13+ mil. Top defensive linemen make $17+ mil per season. The best linebackers make $16+ mil. Defensive backs are at $14+ mil...

The very best running backs generally make $6-8 mil a season. It just isn't a valuable position.

And that is why you need to draft a QB. Want to know what a top QB makes? How about $26+ million. There are backup QBs who make close to what a top RB makes. If the Giants think they can draft a QB who might start for them in the next couple years at #2, they'd be insane not to do it. Even if he was just an average starting QB, the Giants would be paying $8 mil per season to a guy who is worth 2-3 times that much. That is how you win in the NFL. And if they draft a guy who is actually good, then they have acquired the most important commodity in the NFL. There is nothing... NOTHING... that correlates to team success like having a good QB. Does having a good RB mean anything in wins and losses? The evidence doesn't appear to back that up. I mean, aside from Bell, how much of a difference is there among the next 8-10 best RBs in the NFL? Are the next 8-10 best RBs in the NFL even on consistently winning teams?

Barkley may be one of the greats. But even if he is, it makes no sense to use that high of a draft pick on him. The NFL knows this and that is why I think we will see something other than a RB taken at #2...

--Jason "... unless the Giants think Barkley is going to be as good as LeVeon Bell. Only in that case can I see a case for taking him" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?