Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I admire a sense of confidence and being articulate; I detest arrogance and self-certainty. Where does Bilas fit?
    I think Bilas's ESPN act is a schtick, not his true persona. But others here have different views.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I have to say, watching Bilas suddenly own all the problems he's been carping about for years could be a lot of fun.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I think Bilas's ESPN act is a schtick, not his true persona. But others here have different views.
    So you think the obvious choice for commissioner is a guy who hasn't been genuine for how many years? If he isn't genuine announcing games, how would anyone be able to take anything in that role seriously from him? This shouldn't become a professional wrestling angle where the heel (or face if you like his announcing) announcer all of a sudden controls the show.

I know this is all speculation, but if Bilas really did become the college basketball czar, we'd have a Duke alum as the NBA Commissioner, WNBA Commissioner, and College Commissioner.

Add all that to having perhaps the most well respected coach in the history of the game (who, I imagine, still has significant influence within USA basketball), and that is some serious power and influence within the sport all affiliated with our university.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I have to say, watching Bilas suddenly own all the problems he's been carping about for years could be a lot of fun.
    It would...but I stumbled upon this note blowing around campus:

"Please please don't put Bilas in charge....signed,
    The baseball team, soccer teams, track teams, swim teams, Lacrosse teams, field hockey team, cross country teams, fencing teams, golf teams tennis teams, rowing team, volleyball team, wrestling team....and our coaches...

I admire a sense of confidence and being articulate; I detest arrogance and self-certainty. Where does Bilas fit?
    Bilas is like really smart.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Bilas is like really smart.
    A lot of people on this board are like really smart. That does not, in and of itself, qualify one to do any particular job.

A lot of people on this board are like really smart. That does not, in and of itself, qualify one to do any particular job.
    I feel like he would hire all the best people.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If it's Jay, he would only report to God. GoDuke!
    meaning he'd look in a mirror.

Ok, if you guys don't like Bilas for Commish, how about Swofford?

Ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything related to enforcement changes. The current methodology of regulation enforcement is at the root of many of the problems showing up above. Surely this commission would be looking at improving enforcement and compliance.
    A girl can dream...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

First Look at Recommendations

From the AP, which received an advance copy:

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Commission on College Basketball sharply directed the NCAA to take control of the sport, calling for sweeping reforms to minimize one-and-done, permit players to return to school after going undrafted by the NBA and ban cheating coaches for life.
    Many words, apparently, on the NCAA's taking responsibility for the "toxic" mix of summer league play and shoe company involvement.

60 pages -- I won't get a lot of work done today.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

From the AP, which received an advance copy:

Many words, apparently, on the NCAA's taking responsibility for the "toxic" mix of summer league play and shoe company involvement.

60 pages -- I won't get a lot of work done today.
    Looks like the Commission held some surprises for the audience. I appreciate that they didn't let the NCAA off the hook by saying "well, it is an NBA rule." They called for the restriction to be lifted, but also sounded the bell to keep amateurism and clean up the sport rather than overhaul the system and pay players.

I will be interested in to see how this plays out

Quick reactions:

Colleges told to take control of summer basketball ("non-scholastic") either by running their own leagues or certifying AAU teams.

Minimize one-and-done, and put some pressure on the NBA and the NBPA to act. If they don't then consider such actions as making freshmen ineligible or "locking scholarships" for three-to-four years after a freshman leaves for the NBA.

Scathing assessing of "toothless" NCAA enforcement (clear there were a lot of Duke guys on the Commission). Suggests outsourcing the enforcement function.

Allow access to agents in both HS and college. These would have to be "certified."
    Sage Grouse

The entire section on reform of punishments for violations, especially academic fraud, was basically written specifically for UNC.

Quick reactions:

Minimize one-and-done, and put some pressure on the NBA and the NBPA to act. If they don't then consider such actions as making freshmen ineligible or "locking scholarships" for three-to-four years after a freshman leaves for the NBA.
    While the 'one-and-done" is an NBA rule, the NCAA has at least some ability to influence NBA decision makers.

The threat of making Freshman ineligible would definitely get the NBA's attention. While I think there is very little chance the NCAA would ever go back to making Freshmen ineligible, the threat of doing so could be an effective negotiating tactic.

The main reason behind the one-and-done rule is to force players into a one year "evaluation period" (in college). Without the opportunity to use the NCAA as a "pre-draft evaluation and marketing tool" for prospective players, the value of the one-and-done rule is greatly diminished for NBA owners.

I wonder what other rules the NCAA could change (or threaten to change) which would also get the NBA's attention.

Of course, this assumes that there is some entity which can effectively represent the NCAA's interests in a negotiation with the NBA owners and player's association. I am surprised that the article didn't seem to mention the creation of an NCAA basketball "commissioner". That would be the logical person to negotiate with the NBA.

I don’t think freshmen ineligibility will ever happen, you’d be asking the NCAA to voluntarily give up a ton of marketing potential and therefore money and that’s not going to happen. Locking scholarships for players who leave early is a reasonable idea, but it wouldn’t really fix the problem. It would just mean that the OAD’s get spread out across lots of schools because each school could only have one or two of them per year before they ran out of scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don’t think freshmen ineligibility will ever happen, you’d be asking the NCAA to voluntarily give up a ton of marketing potential and therefore money and that’s not going to happen. Locking scholarships for players who leave early is a reasonable idea, but it wouldn’t really fix the problem. It would just mean that the OAD’s get spread out across lots of schools because each school could only have one or two of them per year before they ran out of scholarships.
    Yeah, I am no big fan of OAD rules, and I have some concerns about how Duke builds their team in this current era, but I don't see any benefit to anyone if Bagley sits the bench this year.

Methinks JB ain’t gonna like this report 🤨🤨

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So, let's take Tyus Jones and Winslow as examples. They both want to go to college and earn All-ACC academic honors, so they are serious students. Neither is projected as a one-and-done when we recruit them. They both have great years and earn and take the opportunity to leave after one year. We then are punished by losing 2 scholarships for the next 3 years? How does that make sense?