Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Duke men's golf

has also qualified to play the same course in the nationals next week. Will start it's/their own thread unless someone beats me to it. GO DEVILS!!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    has also qualified to play the same course in the nationals next week. Will start it's/their own thread unless someone beats me to it. GO DEVILS!!!
    Some guy named duketaylor started this one already.
    http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...uke-men-s-golf!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Arizona Champs

Just to close this out, Arizona as the #8 seed defeated the top seeded Crimson Tide in dramatic fashion. It came down to the 18th hole of the final match where the Alabama player needed to win the hole to tie the match and send it to extra holes. She missed her eagle putt after sending a long fairway wood to within 20 feet of the hole, but made the birdie to capture the hole.

The same two players went back to the 18th tee, a par 5. Both were on in three and had short birdie putts. The Tide player short armed her short birdie putt while the Arizona player sunk hers. Too bad Duke wasn't still playing but it was still pretty exciting.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Format

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Tough end to a great season.
    The match play format makes for great TV. But it does take it toll.

It seems funny to have almost of the tournaments all year stroke play then switch to match play to determine the NC. Early round losses probably leave a bad taste in the mouths of the losers - this year I would say Duke and UCLA. Lots of pressure on the players in the pivotal matches. Next year they play in Arkansas (I think) then 3 years in Arizona. It will probably be in the 90's or 100's in AZ and the teams in the final 8 who win in the quarters will have to play 36 holes one day.

I love it that its on TV and the format makes it very exciting.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    The match play format makes for great TV. But it does take it toll.

It seems funny to have almost of the tournaments all year stroke play then switch to match play to determine the NC. Early round losses probably leave a bad taste in the mouths of the losers - this year I would say Duke and UCLA. Lots of pressure on the players in the pivotal matches. Next year they play in Arkansas (I think) then 3 years in Arizona. It will probably be in the 90's or 100's in AZ and the teams in the final 8 who win in the quarters will have to play 36 holes one day.

I love it that its on TV and the format makes it very exciting.

SoCal
    As far as I can tell, schedule for the men's and women's championships is heavily influenced by TV. Monday thru Wednesday are the days when the golf Channel is NOT covering a live professional tournament. Hence, the fourth round and individual champion on Monday and match play crowded into Tuesday and Wednesday, in order to free up the Golf Channel for Thursday PGA action.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As far as I can tell, schedule for the men's and women's championships is heavily influenced by TV.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?