Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    8 stroke lead for Duke after round 2.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Leona rebounded on day two with a seven under 65, as the Duke team finished at -9, the best score of the day. First-day leader UVa came back to earth with a +3 and now trails Duke by eight shots. Leona is tied for third in the individual competition, and Ana Belac is tied for fifth.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The Duke Ladies have won the Wisconsin Regional and are advancing.

The team carded a -14 to win by 9 strokes over UVA. Leona Maguire finished T2 at -8 under. Our number 2 player, Jaravee Boonchant, did not have a great tournament but we still won comfortably.

Special props to number 5 player Lisa Maguire. For those that don't know how tournaments are scored, the top four scores (out of five players) are taken each day. Lisa managed to have all three rounds count for the team score despite scoring the worst over the 3 day total. She was good enough each day to beat one teammate and really helped the team when we had some surprise scores. In fact, Lisa's first round +1 counted for the team score and we were able to drop Leona's surprising 2 over.
    Last edited by nmduke2001; 05-09-2018 at 03:34 PM.

On to Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    The Duke Ladies have won the Wisconsin Regional and are advancing.

The team carded a -14 to win by 9 strokes over UVA. Leona Maguire finished T2 at -8 under. Our number 2 player, Jaravee Boonchant, did not have a great tournament but we still won comfortably.

Special props to number 5 player Lisa Maguire. For those that don't know how tournaments are scored, the top four scores (out of five players) are taken each day. Lisa managed to have all three rounds count for the team score despite scoring the worst over the 3 day total. She was good enough each day to beat one teammate and really helped the team when we had some surprise scores. In fact, Lisa's first round +1 counted for the team score and we were able to drop Leona's surprising 2 over.
    I agree completely with the special props to Lisa. She and Jaravee were the two players who counted all three days. Leona showed her mettle by shooting 10 under the last two days. Virginia Elena Carta shot a great four under the first day and Ana Belac was 2 under 2 days in a row.

Nationals should be very competitive. Duke obviously has a very good team. We have players who can go real low. However there are some other very good teams in the field. Alabama and Arkansas were also top seeded in their regions and won by 8 and 11 shots respectively. UCLA was top seeded overall and finished 2nd to Stanford, who was hosting the Regional and home field is a big advantage in golf. Stanford won by 2, UCLA was 7 ahead of the 3rd place teams. The format in Nationals is 4 rounds of stroke play followed by the top eight teams in match play to determine the champion.

SoCal

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This sucks for ECU. They were disqualified after a number of their players got sick; it sounds like it may have been a case of food poisoning.

http://www.witn.com/content/news/Wid...482283991.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This sucks for ECU. They were disqualified after a number of their players got sick; it sounds like it may have been a case of food poisoning.

http://www.witn.com/content/news/Wid...482283991.html
    My bet is the norovirus, which is incredibly violent. It usually is picked up from surfaces, not food (doorhandles, counters, etc., where it is long-lived). The idea of "playing through it" is impossible to imagine. I am happy to report that, after one infection, one's body is immune to recurrence.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Women Start Friday in Stillwater

The women are competing in the NCAA Championship beginning tomorrow at Karsten Creek Golf Club in Stillwater, OK.

The format is a 72-hole medal play tournament over four days -- Friday through Monday -- to determine the individual champion and the eight teams that compete for the team championship. The team championships are match play over Tuesday and Wednesday, with the quarters and semis both occurring on Tuesday.

(It is possible to go ballistic over the way the NCAA golf championships are competed -- (1) "Match play?" -- all the other tournaments in the season seem to be medal play. (2) 36 holes on Tuesday for the quarters and semis? That is unlike any other college competition. In fact, Duke lost to Baylor in the semis in 2015 when it appeared (to me, at least) that the larger Baylor players held up better in the second 18 on Tuesday.

The Duke women have won six NCAA golf championships, most recently in 2014, and 21 ACC championships. Virginia Elena Carter won the individual championship as a freshman two years ago.

Here are the teams in the field. Note that all the top teams made the field (although this ranking came after the regional results). Duke is ranked fourth, following Alabama, UCLA and Arkansas. The ACC has six teams in the field, including Virginia, Louisville, Florida State, and Wake Forest. Local guys Furman (#8) also made the field, the only team besides Kent State not in a Power Five conference.

Madison Regional Site:
    Teams:
    1. Duke (4)
    2. Virginia
    3. Southern California (5)
    4. Arizona State
    5. Ohio State
    6. Northwestern

Austin Regional Site:
    Teams:
    1. Arkansas (3)
    2. Texas (7)
    3. Auburn
    4. Florida
    5. Baylor
    6. Oklahoma

San Francisco Regional Site:
    Teams:
    1. Stanford (6)
    2. UCLA (2)
    3. Ole Miss
    4. Louisville
    5. Kent State
    6. Colorado

Tallahassee Regional Site:
    Teams:
    1. Alabama (1)
    2. Florida State
    3. Furman (8)
    4. Arizona
    5. Washington
    6. Wake Forest
    Sage Grouse

nice article on leona maguire in the raleigh paper...

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/a...211159819.html

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here are the teams in the field. Note that all the top teams made the field (although this ranking came after the regional results). Duke is ranked fourth, following Alabama, UCLA and Arkansas. The ACC has five teams in the field, including Virginia, Louisville, Florida State, and Wake Forest. Local guys Furman (#8) also made the field, the only team besides Kent State not in a Power Five conference.
    Corrected.
    Sage Grouse

"In fact, Duke lost to Baylor in the semis in 2015 when it appeared (to me, at least) that the larger Baylor players held up better in the second 18 on Tuesday."

was that the one down here in Central Florida (near tampa)? they should never been carrying in this heat/humidity. they all faded late in the second 18. everyone else was using carts.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "In fact, Duke lost to Baylor in the semis in 2015 when it appeared (to me, at least) that the larger Baylor players held up better in the second 18 on Tuesday."

was that the one down here in Central Florida (near tampa)? they should never been carrying in this heat/humidity. they all faded late in the second 18. everyone else was using carts.
    That was the one where with the match on the line, Lisa Maguire went 24 holes before losing.

Yep, I thought Duke was at a significant disadvantage in that tournament by carrying clubs while everyone else seemed to have carts. I did not understand at the time, and still do not, why that was. Of course, at 64, I see a huge difference in carrying vs pushing that I did not see 20 years ago, so my perspective is tainted.

Duke women tee off at 12:15P CDT today (Friday). You can follow the scores here.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Duke women tee off at 12:15P CDT today (Friday). You can follow the scores here.
    Teams in the morning round, which contains the lower-seeded teams (rankings 15 to 37), are having problems with the course in Stillwater. Best score is Kent State at +6 (holes 14-18), worst is Ole Miss at +19 (holes 9-13).
    Sage Grouse

Duke shot 10 over, is 7 strokes back in 5th place.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke shot 10 over, is 7 strokes back in 5th place.
    Judging from the scoring, it seems like conditions in Stillwater, OK got tougher in late afternoon -- probably the winds "sweepin' down the plain." Duke will have a morning round tomorrow.

Highly seeded teams that crashed and burned today include #5 Stanford and #2 Arkansas at +20, #8 Texas at +21 and #7 Furman at +24.
    Sage Grouse

Saturday Tee Times

Duke tees off, beginning at 7:30AM CDT, once again playing against USC and Stanford. Players on a team go off in reverse order to their scores on Friday.
    Sage Grouse

Day 2: Another +10 Round

Duke finished this morning's round at +10, same as yesterday. The Duke women are currently in a tie for 12th, although only one-half of the teams have played and bogeys are turning up everywhere. Duke is fifth among the higher-ranked teams that played this AM. We should move up several positions by the end of the day.

Eight teams qualify for the match play tournament on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Duke was led by Jaravee Boonchant, who played even par today (+2 for the tournament). Ana Selac was +2 and Leona and Virginia were +4. The Devils hit a rough patch in the second nine with seven bogeys and a double occurring within a short period of time. The women rallied, however, with three birdies on the final hole.

UCLA tore up the course today, finishing at -9 for the day and -3 for the two rounds. The Bruins have a five-shot lead over Alabama, which was also under par (-2).

We have some work today the next two days. -- Go Duke!!
    Sage Grouse

FYI, the 24-team field will be trimmed to 15 teams and top nine individuals not on those teams following Sunday’s third round of competition. After the medal play concludes with 72 holes and the individual champion is crowned, the top eight teams will advance to match play.

We are sitting 8th right now, with a chance to move to 6th as two current top 8 teams continue to play.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide