Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Duke Women's Golf 2018

Duke women now leading the ACC tournament in Greensboro after the Saturday round. Duke is at -6, four shots ahead of second place Clemson.

Duke's Leona Maguire (#2 in the world rankings) leads the individual championship by two shots at -5. Tournament is on the East Course of Grandover Resort. The three-day tournament ends Monday.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

ACC Tournament

Day two is in the books, and Duke has extended its lead over the field to 17 strokes. Duke's -7 today was seven shots better than any other team. Howsomever, in many years of following team golf, NO LEAD IS SAFE. We'll need a strong performance in the final round tomorrow to take home the ACC championship. If it happens, it will be our 21st.

In the individual competition, Duke holds the top two spots. Leona Maguire continues in first place at -7. Jaravee Boonchant, our freshman from Thailand (via IMG Academy), is in second at -6 and recorded a five-under-par round today. Ana Belac is T9, Virginia Elena Carta is in 11th, and Lisa Maguire, Leona's twin, is T28.

Go Duke!
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Day two is in the books, and Duke has extended its lead over the field to 17 strokes. Duke's -7 today was seven shots better than any other team. Howsomever, in many years of following team golf, NO LEAD IS SAFE. We'll need a strong performance in the final round tomorrow to take home the ACC championship. If it happens, it will be our 21st.

In the individual competition, Duke holds the top two spots. Leona Maguire continues in first place at -7. Jaravee Boonchant, our freshman from Thailand (via IMG Academy), is in second at -6 and recorded a five-under-par round today. Ana Belac is T9, Virginia Elena Carta is in 11th, and Lisa Maguire, Leona's twin, is T28.

Go Duke!
    And the weather reports for tomorrow and Tuesday are not good. Rain tomorrow with 14 mph winds with gusts up to 24 mph. Tuesday is just as bad. Like you said, no lead is safe. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    And the weather reports for tomorrow and Tuesday are not good. Rain tomorrow with 14 mph winds with gusts up to 24 mph. Tuesday is just as bad. Like you said, no lead is safe. GoDuke!
    The biggest risk is that the Maguire sisters will feel homesick. I'm pretty sure they're well used to playing in wind and rain.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The biggest risk is that the Maguire sisters will feel homesick. I'm pretty sure they're well used to playing in wind and rain.
    I believe today is the final round, and it looks like they'll get it in without a weather-related postponement. As a team, Duke is currently -12 and ahead by 23 shots, with every player having completed at least 14 holes by now. Duke has the three lowest-scoring individuals at the moment (Jaravee Boonchant at -6, Leona Maguire at -3, and Ana Belac at -2). That's some domination right there.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Duke wins! The team was 15 under. Florida State came in second at 12 over.

Duke finishers
    T1 - Jaravee Boonchant
    T1 - Leona Maguire
    T3 - Ana Belac
    T5 - Virginia Elena Carta

Lisa Maguire was T40 but her first round score of -1 was used over Virginia Elena Carter's +3 first round score. So it was a total team effort.
    Last edited by nmduke2001; 04-23-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Congrats Duke Women's Golf - ACC CHAMPS!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Duke wins! The team was 15 under. Florida State came in second at 12 over.

Duke finishers
    T1 - Jaravee Boonchant
    T1 - Leona Maguire
    T3 - Ana Belac
    T5 - Virginia Elena Carta

Lisa Maguire was T40 but her first round score of -1 was used over Virginia Elena Carter's +3 first round score. So it was a total team effort.
    Update...The tournament went to extra holes to crown a champion. Leona won on the third playoff hole.

What is the most ACC team championships won by any school in a single sport ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dopeshop View Post
    What is the most ACC team championships won by any school in a single sport ?
    A Wikipedia article updated through 2016 (so not 100%) shows the following teams with 21 or more ACC championships:

Maryland men's indoor track--26
    Maryland men's outdoor track--26
    Maryland men's lacrosse--25 (Md. won a 26th championship last year but was no longer in the ACC)
    UNC men's tennis--25
    Maryland wrestling--24
    UNC women's soccer--21 -- now 22 as UNC won last fall
    Maryland men's soccer--21

So Duke women's golf is not at the very top, but they are up there.

This win was a beatdown--Duke golfers finished 1, 2 (decided by a tie-breaker), tied for 3rd, tied for 5th, and tied for 40th.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    A Wikipedia article updated through 2016 (so not 100%) shows the following teams with 21 or more ACC championships:

Maryland men's indoor track--26
    Maryland men's outdoor track--26
    Maryland men's lacrosse--25 (Md. won a 26th championship last year but was no longer in the ACC)
    UNC men's tennis--25
    Maryland wrestling--24
    UNC women's soccer--21 -- now 22 as UNC won last fall
    Maryland men's soccer--21

So Duke women's golf is not at the very top, but they are up there.

This win was a beatdown--Duke golfers finished 1, 2 (decided by a tie-breaker), tied for 3rd, tied for 5th, and tied for 40th.
    Don't recall history of UNC"s men's tennis championships and classes attended but think we can throw a very large asterisk on UNC women's soccer.

Is 27 strokes the largest margin of victory ever? I'd be surprised if it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Is 27 strokes the largest margin of victory ever? I'd be surprised if it isn't.
    Could be, but it was Duke's lowest score. Per GoDuke.com: ''The 15-under, 849, was the lowest 54-hole ledger in Blue Devil ACC Championship history besting a five-under, 859, a year ago."

I, of course, worry that these amazingly low scores will cause a problem in the regional championships in two weeks. The NCAA Selection Show is on the Golf Channel tomorrow (Wednesday) at 5:30PM Eastern.

Here are the regions -- (As #4 in Golfweek's rankings, wouldn't we go to Tallahassee?)

The four regional sites include TPC Harding Park in San Francisco, California, hosted by Stanford University; the University of Texas Golf Club in Austin, Texas, hosted by the University of Texas; the University Ridge Golf Course in Madison, Wisconsin, hosted by the University of Wisconsin; and the Don Veller Seminole Golf Course & Club in Tallahassee, Florida, hosted by Florida State University.
    Sage Grouse

Duke is in 2nd place, behind Virginia in the Madison Regional of the NCAA Tournament.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke is in 2nd place, behind Virginia in the Madison Regional of the NCAA Tournament.
    Weird news from the round is that world #2, Leona Maguire, did not reckon in the scoring. She was the HIGH score for Duke, for the first time ever. Kudos to Virginia and Ana Belac for top-ten finishes. Looks like we have some room for improvement.
    Sage Grouse

Weird news from the round is that world #2, Leona Maguire, did not reckon in the scoring. She was the HIGH score for Duke, for the first time ever. Kudos to Virginia and Ana Belac for top-ten finishes. Looks like we have some room for improvement.
    WOW, and we still broke par.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    WOW, and we still broke par.
    Yep. Leona is doing much better today, eagling the 540-yard sixth hole, to sit at -3 for the round. The others are at even par or +1 -- need to pick it up!

Go Duke!
    Sage Grouse

Yep. Leona is doing much better today, eagling the 540-yard sixth hole, to sit at -3 for the round. The others are at even par or +1 -- need to pick it up!

Go Duke!
    Score revised -- a birdie, not an eagle. But now the scorecard says that Leona has birdied four straight holes.
    Sage Grouse

Duke now tied with UVA in first, both teams on holes 13-15. Leona, at -6 on the day (the best round of the day so far if she finishes there or better), is tied for 7th, 5 strokes off the lead but only two strokes out of second place.

Duke has now opened a 4 stroke lead with just a handful of holes left in the 2nd round.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide