Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    We are sitting 8th right now, with a chance to move to 6th as two current top 8 teams continue to play.
    And play has been suspended due to weather.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My bet is the norovirus, which is incredibly violent. It usually is picked up from surfaces, not food (doorhandles, counters, etc., where it is long-lived). The idea of "playing through it" is impossible to imagine. I am happy to report that, after one infection, one's body is immune to recurrence.
    Late to respond to this.

I agree with you that it was likely a norovirus. Everything else you said is wrong except that you can't play through it. It is likely that the majority of cases are contracted through contaminated food (from a food handler coming back to work too soon after illness, usually). There are also multiple serotypes, so you can get infected over and over again. Even serotype-specific immunity is not lifelong. So one infection is not even remotely protective.

So, pretty much there is nothing good about norovirus. Some people are naturally almost completely immune to it, though, which is nice. Degree of susceptibility actually has to do with your blood type. Those who are blood type O are more likely to get infected, and/or more likely to have symptomatic infection. Researchers are hard at work at making a vaccine for it; it's still a long ways off, but if it works, that could be a great, great thing.

I now return you to your regular thread.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    ... Degree of susceptibility actually has to do with your blood type. Those who are blood type O are more likely to get infected, and/or more likely to have symptomatic infection. ...
    So it is a good time to B negative?

Sorry, scheduled to donate Monday, so I figured I deserved a community groan. If nothing else, I am popular with the Red Cross, I donate Power Red just to keep them off my back for an extra couple months.

Round 3 tee times have Duke women paired with Kent State and Stanford, beginning at 8:36 AM.

The weather is predicted to be awful -- rain probabilities around 0.70 to 0.85 in the AM. Thunderstorms from now (11:00 PM CDT) to 5 AM. Our Irish ladies should do just fine.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    So it is a good time to B negative?
    Nah. Always better to be A Positive person.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I asked when I was in the hospital and had to be told twice by a nurse. She was doing a fairly painful insertion of an IV, and I thought she meant, "Be positive!"
    Sage Grouse

I always want to B optoemistically positive! LGD GTHc 9F!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

And I thought my puns were considered bad blood on DBR.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Duke in 6th after morning round. Likely to remain there, as PM round features teams in 13th thru 24th.

Top 15 teams advance to fourth round tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Duke in 6th after morning round. Likely to remain there, as PM round features teams in 13th thru 24th.

Top 15 teams advance to fourth round tomorrow.
    in good position to make the final 8 and qualify for match play.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Not sure where to put this, my sister played in the pro-am Wednesday, the LPGA is in Williamsburg this weekend. She met Brittany Lang and she couldn't have been nicer. So I went with her today and managed to catch Brittany finishing on 18. I waited after at autograph alley with my Duke hat. Not only did she comment "now that's what I'm talking about," but she signed the brim and added GTHC !

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Not sure where to put this, my sister played in the pro-am Wednesday, the LPGA is in Williamsburg this weekend. She met Brittany Lang and she couldn't have been nicer. So I went with her today and managed to catch Brittany finishing on 18. I waited after at autograph alley with my Duke hat. Not only did she comment "now that's what I'm talking about," but she signed the brim and added GTHC !
    I’ve always liked Brittany. Now I love her! GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    How sweet is that!!!

Have a great week, Brittany!!! Good weather, please.

So Lang finished t-25, not bad. Amazing they could get the tourney in with all the rain we've had here, 30 miles west. I'm guestimating we had 6 inches of rain in 6 or 7 days. Could be more than that, at least a lot. GTHC, GTH!!!

LPGA and NCAA

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    So Lang finished t-25, not bad. Amazing they could get the tourney in with all the rain we've had here, 30 miles west. I'm guestimating we had 6 inches of rain in 6 or 7 days. Could be more than that, at least a lot. GTHC, GTH!!!
    Fellow Dukies Celine Boutier, Laetitia Beck and Lindy Duncan tied with Brittany for 25th. The fifth Duke player on tour, Yu Liu, was a victim of the weather. 4 under her first round, 4 over the second and did not make the cut.

Duke is in 6th place heading into the 4th round on Monday. Top 8 make match play.

SoCal

The Devils tee off at 11:50.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

After 5-7 holes, Duke is +1 and is only 1 shot ahead of two teams tied for the eigth and final spot - nail biting time.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke has started the back nine, playing ahead of most of the other teams. We are at +1 and holding in 6th place with a four shot margin over Baylor in 9th. (Top eight qualify for match play.) Leona, Ana, and Jaravee are each at -1. Virginia and Lisa are each at +4 (best four of five scores in team total).

Go Duke!
    Sage Grouse

Two-thirds of way through final round, Duke is at -1 and T-5. The Devils are nine-shots ahead of four teams tied for ninth. Top eight go to match play.

Go Duke!
    Sage Grouse