Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Westworld back on....who's in?

I'm excited...i hope they have a decent refresher/primer...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Yeah, I definitely need a quick refresher. The trailer looks pretty good. I’m pumped.

AND The handmaid’s tale returns soon!!!!!!!

On the fence.
    Great acting, some strong vignettes within the overall story.

The “twist” at the end was incredibly weak storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    On the fence.
    Great acting, some strong vignettes within the overall story.

Why do you say it was weak? The twists were imo the strongest part of the whole season.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Which twist?

A) That Delores killed Ford
    B) or that parts of the season were taking place in the past
    C) or that The Man in Black and Jimmy were the same person
    D) or that Bernard was a host version of Arnold
    E) or that Maeve turned back rather than escape
    F) or that the hosts rose up and started murdering humans
    G) or something else?

-Jason "here is a good recap of season one" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Why do you say it was weak? The twists were imo the strongest part of the whole season.
    I suppose the fact that season two is starting tomorrow leaves me spoiler guilt free.

The fact that Ed Harris and Jimmi Simpson were the same character across time ruined the show for me. I was pretty sure this was going to happen about 2/3 way through the season.

Old trope, lazy storytelling- just didn’t work for me.

Jeffrey Wright and Thandie Newton were the best parts of season one, for me.

I suppose the fact that season two is starting tomorrow leaves me spoiler guilt free.

The fact that Ed Harris and Jimmi Simpson were the same character across time ruined the show for me. I was pretty sure this was going to happen about 2/3 way through the season.

Old trope? That two characters are the same person thirty years apart?

You must frequent different stories than I do.

Yes, but I'm semi-irrationally annoyed at these shows taking ~2 years between seasons. Too much effort to remember all the characters and the hints dropped in the first season.

Well I'm with whomever said it above, you must be watching or reading vastly different things than I. That was very different to me and I really had no clue as to it coming. Still it's only 1 of the twists, there were many in the show
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

The Jeffrey Wright character was great, but I absolutely hated what they did with the Thandie Newton character. I know I'm very much in the minority here, but it seems like her story completely undermines the rest of the show. So much of the show is about teaching Delores self-awareness and getting her to *want* to rebel. And then Maeve comes along, convinces some hapless programmer to switch her "loyalty stat" to 0 or whatever it was, and presto, she's done the same thing. Except with a big gratuitously violent action scene to cap it off. Pretty darn sure Anthony Hopkins could have done that too, so they'd sure better make it clear why Delores's route is better during S2.

Anyway, I haven't decided if I'll watch. I liked S1 but with a rebellion starting, I worry the show will change into something I'm not very interested in. I'll be curious what people here think of it.

I enjoy the show even though half the time I don't have the slightest idea of what's going on. That's what a good cast will do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I enjoy the show even though half the time I don't have the slightest idea of what's going on. That's what a good cast will do for you.
    Hah! My feelings exactly! Just gotta stick with it.

When does first episode come on?

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    In about 3 hours.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    About 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Hah! My feelings exactly! Just gotta stick with it.
    Well, the 1973 movie was easier to follow so maybe just stick with that and call it a day.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

So, we technically saw three story lines in the first episode, correct?

TL 1: Arnold talking to Delores
    TL 2: Bernard wakes up on the beach a few weeks (?) after the dinner party
    TL 3: Delores is killing everything immediately after the dinner party and Bernard is with Charlotte.

I felt like TL1 was a figment of Bernard's imagination. That Delores seemed to be some sort of shiny CGI version - like CGI Leia. Ergo, Bernard's Android "dream."

This season will need to offer me a little more clarification pretty quickly. I loved the first season, but the gap between seasons has left me caring a bit less about these characters.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post

TL 3: Delores is killing everything immediately after the dinner party and Bernard is with Charlotte.
    I think so. Though TL3 and TL2 are roughly two weeks apart.

TL1 could be happening at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post

Well, I'm not so sure #1 is an actual storyline. There are scenes of Arnold talking to Delores from 30 years ago but I'm not sure there is a lot of story to be told there. We've already seen a good bit of what happened during that storyline (Arnold senses growing consciousness in Delores, Arnold wants to prevent the park from opening, Arnold uploads Wyatt into Delores and sacrifices himself to her wrath). From the trailers it is clear that there will be more stuff that happens 30 years in the past involving young William and his early relationship with Delores, but I dunno if I would say that is part of the Arnold talking to Delores storyline.

Also, you did not mention it but Maeve's search for her daughter is a major part of storyline 3. There was a lot of speculation that her daughter would be in Shogun World but it sure appears she is in Westworld, at least that is what slimy Simon seemed to indicate last night. I'm betting we are going to get to know Hector a lot more too.

I enjoyed the episode and am eager to see what plays out in storyline 3 catch up to what is happening in storyline 2. I think Bernard's last line of the episode is significant. He said, "I killed them all," meaning all those host bodies floating in that huge lake are somehow his fault. I'm guessing that is connected to something that happens with him and Charlotte. Worth noting that Bernard and Stubbs are the only characters currently in the park who we know survive everything that is happening in storyline 2. Charlotte, the Man in Black, and everyone else still alive could easily be killed off over the next 2 weeks until the Delos rescue team arrives.

Lastly, I really want to see something explained about Maeve's programming -- they said last season that she had been programmed to want to escape. I really thought she was the host that Delos was trying to get out of the park, not Delores' father (Peter Abernathy). I think it is significant that someone programmed her to escape and that she chose not to escape and go back for her child.

-Jason "more later... but the bottom line is that I love this show!" Evans