Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

CBS: Ranking all of Duke's 16 OAD Players

A slow time of the year so they have to come up with something I suppose!

"1. Marvin Bagley, 2018
    Bagley was the best player for perhaps the most talented Duke team ever under Mike Krzyzewski. Averaging 21 points, 11 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game, he was named the ACC's Player of the Year, and was the catalyst of the Blue Devils' bruising front line last season that finished sixth in total rebounds per game and 14th in total blocks.

And even more impressive in his stellar season: Bagley reclassified last summer. If not for that move from the 2018 class to 2017, he'd have been preparing for his freshman season this summer. Instead, he's primed to make millions by likely becoming one of the top draft picks in mid-June thanks to his off-the-charts production."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...under-coach-k/

2. Jahlil Okafor, 2015

Duke went 35-4 and won the national championship in 2014-15, in large part because of Jahlil Okafor's freshman stardom. He, too, earned ACC Player of the Year honors, averaging 17.3 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.
    Though Okafor's back-to-the-basket game hasn't quite meshed in the NBA as an old school big, it was the sole reason why he was viewed as the most fearsome center in the country at Duke. He was an unstoppable force in the paint whose 66.4 field goal percentage ranks 32nd among all college basketball players at the Division I level since 1992, according to Sports Reference.

I would certainly rank Trent higher than they did at probably 10 or 11.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Eh, I would say 13-15 for me. Ahead of Giles for sure, in the mix with Jackson and Duval.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Eh, I would say 13-15 for me. Ahead of Giles for sure, in the mix with Jackson and Duval.
    Looking at it again, I would say 11, ahead of Kyrie, just below Winslow and Carter.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Jackson? Really? For me, he's #15.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

GTJ should be above Duval imo. He had the biggest stones if all our guards this year in the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Jackson? Really? For me, he's #15.
    Yeah, really. Jackson was pretty darn comparable to Trent in my opinion. Per 100 possessions, here are their stats:

Trent: 24.3 pts, 7.1 rebs, 2.4 asts, 1.9 stls, 41.5 fg%, 40.2 3pt%, 56.7 TS%
    Jackson: 25.2 pts, 5.8 rebs, 3.9 asts, 1.3 stls, 47.3 fg%, 39.5 3pt%, 59.8 TS%.

Honestly, in looking at those stats, I'm actually more comfortable with having Trent behind Jackson.

Yeah, really. Jackson was pretty darn comparable to Trent in my opinion. Per 100 possessions, here are their stats:

Trent: 24.3 pts, 7.1 rebs, 2.4 asts, 1.9 stls, 41.5 fg%, 40.2 3pt%, 56.7 TS%
    Jackson: 25.2 pts, 5.8 rebs, 3.9 asts, 1.3 stls, 47.3 fg%, 39.5 3pt%, 59.8 TS%.

Honestly, in looking at those stats, I'm actually more comfortable with having Trent behind Jackson.
    I don't know. I'll take the starter, third leading scorer, sometimes crunch time scorer on just as good a team (because of injuries) over the sixth man.

I don't know. I'll take the starter, third leading scorer, sometimes crunch time scorer on just as good a team (because of injuries) over the sixth man.
    I think that is a matter of circumstance. Put Trent on last year’s team and he is a sixth man. Put Jackson on this year’s team and he is a starter.

I think that is a matter of circumstance. Put Trent on last year’s team and he is a sixth man. Put Jackson on this year’s team and he is a starter.
    I would have loved to have had a sophomore Jackson on this year's team. 😃

I think that is a matter of circumstance.
    Strongly agree. IMO, Maggette would have gotten 30+ mpg predominately playing zone.

I'd put Maggette much higher bc he wasn't playing in the one and done era.

I would have loved to have had a sophomore Jackson on this year's team. 😃
    Been thinking about that a lot lately. The fit would have been incredible (assuming he was healthy, of course). And it's no far-fetched, it very nearly happened.

Not impressed by the article, it's like he use a dartboard for the rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    Not impressed by the article, it's like he use a dartboard for the rankings.
    It works for picking stocks, so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    It works for picking stocks, so why not?
    You mean it works for getting clicks...so why not?

What struck me was Bagley at 1 and Giles at 16. Obviously that's the way to rank them, but the irony is Harry Giles WAS the Marvin Bagley of his class...until the injury. Such a sad story to this date...and apparently everybody who knows Harry loves him...and his attitude remained awesome through it all. I hope and pray it works out great for Giles in the end...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    You mean it works for getting clicks...so why not?

What struck me was Bagley at 1 and Giles at 16. Obviously that's the way to rank them, but the irony is Harry Giles WAS the Marvin Bagley of his class...until the injury. Such a sad story to this date...and apparently everybody who knows Harry loves him...and his attitude remained awesome through it all. I hope and pray it works out great for Giles in the end...
    Last week someone posted a video of Harry working out. It was just a short clip of him taking shots but he looked very healthy and mobile. My thought was: that's the Harry Giles we hoped we would get at Duke. I'm with you, on Harry, he seems like a really good kid and I hope he does great.

And on a related topic....with a healthy Harry Giles, what are the chances Duke wins the title in 17? I think pretty darned good. If that had happened, or if they'd reached the Final Four even, perhaps the entire discussion about Duke's OAD program would be very different.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    And on a related topic...with a healthy Harry Giles, what are the chances Duke wins the title in 17? I think pretty darned good. If that had happened, or if they'd reached the Final Four even, perhaps the entire discussion about Duke's OAD program would be very different.
    Yeah, I think a lot of things went wrong in 2017 that have unfairly marred folks' opinions of one-and-dones. The injuries to Giles and the injury and illness for Bolden are a big part of that. Jefferson's injury and Allen's injury/suspension also cost us games. Tatum's injury. Arguably Coach K's surgery may have cost us as well. Obviously Giles' injury was the biggest detriment as he was just never the player that he was in high school while at Duke. Last year's team was basically the borderline worst-case scenario in terms of health, which had nothing to do with one-and-dones.

If Giles is healthy, we become a MUCH more dynamic team. I'm not sure if our defense ever gets great, but we'd be even more deadly offensively.
    Don't know if we would have won the title, but we'd have likely been a 1 seed instead of a 2 seed, and we'd have been much more likely to make the Final Four.

That being said, if we did win the title in 2017, our 2018 team might have looked a lot different too. I'd guess Allen would have gone pro with that second title. And then we'd be REALLY thin on the perimeter. So it might have been a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul.