Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

With Joey Baker now on board, this discussion needs to account for him. He's a wild-card in that we don't know if he's actually going to play or red-shirt. My hunch is that he'll play, because he has a reputation as a good shooter, both 3FG and FT. Those are both qualities that will undoubtedly get his number called upon a few times when either the team as a whole can't hit 3s, or if in a tight end of game situation and we need to hit FTs to keep the lead.
    Having said all that, i'm not sure what Baker brings to the table that AOC doesn't. And with the wing-forward spot being very heavily loaded this year, there may not be a need for another one.
    This year's team will have decent balance in terms of positions, if you even believe in those anymore. We've got one top-notch PG and a back-up who showed that he should be able to handle being the backup, as well as a second backup who had a "minute of a lifetime" play in one of his only appearances. We've got 3 guys who can handle the traditional PF/C spot. And we've got a never-ending supply of SG/SF/hybrid-F players: Reddish, Williamson, Barrett, AOC, J-White, J-Rob, and now J-Baker. Should be fun.
    my guesses:
    Jones - 32
    Barrett - 29
    Reddish - 30
    Williamson -29
    Bolden - 23
    DeLaurier -21
    AOC - 16
    J-White - 8
    J-Gold - 6
    J-Rob - 2
    J-Bake - 3
    others - <1

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    With Joey Baker now on board, this discussion needs to account for him. He's a wild-card in that we don't know if he's actually going to play or red-shirt. My hunch is that he'll play, because he has a reputation as a good shooter, both 3FG and FT. Those are both qualities that will undoubtedly get his number called upon a few times when either the team as a whole can't hit 3s, or if in a tight end of game situation and we need to hit FTs to keep the lead.
    Having said all that, i'm not sure what Baker brings to the table that AOC doesn't. And with the wing-forward spot being very heavily loaded this year, there may not be a need for another one.
    This year's team will have decent balance in terms of positions, if you even believe in those anymore. We've got one top-notch PG and a back-up who showed that he should be able to handle being the backup, as well as a second backup who had a "minute of a lifetime" play in one of his only appearances. We've got 3 guys who can handle the traditional PF/C spot. And we've got a never-ending supply of SG/SF/hybrid-F players: Reddish, Williamson, Barrett, AOC, J-White, J-Rob, and now J-Baker. Should be fun.
    my guesses:
    Jones - 32
    Barrett - 29
    Reddish - 30
    Williamson -29
    Bolden - 23
    DeLaurier -21
    AOC - 16
    J-White - 8
    J-Gold - 6
    J-Rob - 2
    J-Bake - 3
    others - <1
    If Baker only plays 3 minutes a game, that's a waste of a year of eligibility, and he should red shirt. If he's good enough to provide 10 minutes a game (which he could be . . . he seems like he'd be ranked higher than AOC coming in, and AOC was a good backup guard last year), then he should play.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    If Baker only plays 3 minutes a game, that's a waste of a year of eligibility, and he should red shirt. If he's good enough to provide 10 minutes a game (which he could be . . . he seems like he'd be ranked higher than AOC coming in, and AOC was a good backup guard last year), then he should play.
    I don't disagree, but K has burned redshirts for less than 120 minutes of playing time before (assuming 40 games). Assuming J-Bake doesn't burn (ba-duh tching!) his redshirt, i can definitely see a situation in which he plays half (or fewer) of the games, but in which he would be seen as useful for other games. IOW, i could see him playing an average of >6 mpg in games he plays, but in which he doesn't play in half the games.
    Seems like all of that hinges on how well the newcomers + AOC, and to a lesser extent J-White, J-Rob and J-Gold (Los Js Amigos), shoot the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I don't disagree, but K has burned redshirts for less than 120 minutes of playing time before (assuming 40 games). Assuming J-Bake doesn't burn (ba-duh tching!) his redshirt, i can definitely see a situation in which he plays half (or fewer) of the games, but in which he would be seen as useful for other games. IOW, i could see him playing an average of >6 mpg in games he plays, but in which he doesn't play in half the games.
    Seems like all of that hinges on how well the newcomers + AOC, and to a lesser extent J-White, J-Rob and J-Gold (Los Js Amigos), shoot the 3.
    Is it that K has "burned" redshirts or that the players who probably should have redshirted did not want to and so he played them only what they deserved, which was mop-up minutes (which was why the redshirt would have been a good idea)? I know people point to Vrank, but I thought he made it clear that he did not want to redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    Is it that K has "burned" redshirts or that the players who probably should have redshirted did not want to and so he played them only what they deserved, which was mop-up minutes (which was why the redshirt would have been a good idea)? I know people point to Vrank, but I thought he made it clear that he did not want to redshirt.
    I've read the same regarding Vrank as well. As for the rest, i dunno, K has never felt the need to explain anything to me.