22 48.89%
  • Jurassic World

26 57.78%
  • Field

2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I hear ya and I hate that I did it this way... but I saw no way around it. If we had picked the traditional top 5, I'm convinced something like 90% of us would have picked the same 5 films... and those 5 are gonna be the top 5.
    A tie may be like kissing your sister, but as they say on the other side of the holler: "depends on what your sister looks like..."

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    A tie may be like kissing your sister, but as they say on the other side of the holler: "depends on what your sister looks like..."
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I can't unsee that. Thanks, Jason.

Maybe we could have a "just for fun" reboot...and do a "Bottom movies of the summer" and do a bottom 5 Just have Jason pick 10 movies he expects to disappoint and we get to pick among those.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Maybe we could have a "just for fun" reboot...and do a "Bottom movies of the summer" and do a bottom 5 Just have Jason pick 10 movies he expects to disappoint and we get to pick among those.
    I think a better working answer would be to have had a "Second 5". Since JE (and probably correctly) is determined that the top 5 is set in stone, then we could have selected the next tier. It would have been interesting to see if anyone selected any of the "locks" to slip to 6th.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think a better working answer would be to have had a "Second 5". Since JE (and probably correctly) is determined that the top 5 is set in stone, then we could have selected the next tier. It would have been interesting to see if anyone selected any of the "locks" to slip to 6th.
    Where was this idea a couple months ago when I first started grousing about this summer's contest?!?!?

The problem is we would be guessing at mediocrity. The #10 movie of summer probably won't be something special, it'll be something blaah. The fun in this is trying to pick the really good films, not the blaah ones.

#6 will be Ant Man & The Wasp, #7 will be Mission Impossible: Fallout, #8 will be Oceans 8... after that it is a total crapshoot of mediocrity like Hotel Transylvania 3, Skyscraper, Mama Mia 2, Christopher Robin, The Equalizer 2, and Uncle Drew.

-Jason "one of the reasons I went with just a top 3 out of the 5 biggies was that the back bench this summer is extraordinarily weak" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Where was this idea a couple months ago when I first started grousing about this summer's contest?!?!?

The problem is we would be guessing at mediocrity. The #10 movie of summer probably won't be something special, it'll be something blaah. The fun in this is trying to pick the really good films, not the blaah ones.

#6 will be Ant Man & The Wasp, #7 will be Mission Impossible: Fallout, #8 will be Oceans 8... after that it is a total crapshoot of mediocrity like Hotel Transylvania 3, Skyscraper, Mama Mia 2, Christopher Robin, The Equalizer 2, and Uncle Drew.

-Jason "one of the reasons I went with just a top 3 out of the 5 biggies was that the back bench this summer is extraordinarily weak" Evans
    What are the pie odds on Uncle Drew beating Infinity War?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Unless the Avengers ALL suffer a massive outbreak of stubbed toes...
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    It would be unreasonable for me to say 1-million to 1 because if I lost I could not get 1 million pies to you and you could not consume that many pies, even if you gave all your friends many many free pies. So, let's be reasonable and say 365-to-1. My wife would freak out, but in theory it would not be impossible for me to provide a pie a day to you.

Wanna bet?

... after that it is a total crapshoot of mediocrity like ... Uncle Drew.

Nobody puts Baby in a corner, and nobody puts Uncle Drew on the bench!

It would be unreasonable for me to say 1-million to 1 because if I lost I could not get 1 million pies to you and you could not consume that many pies, even if you gave all your friends many many free pies. So, let's be reasonable and say 365-to-1. My wife would freak out, but in theory it would not be impossible for me to provide a pie a day to you.

Wanna bet?
    Nah, the problem is your analysis is right. I just like to go through the mental probability & belief exercise. When you try to quantify things in a bet you really have to be honest with yourself about the odds.

That said, I think the odds probably aren't as bad as 1 million to 1. One million is a pretty big number if you consider it in terms of the number of films made in a year. How many wide-release films have ever been made? How many have been dark horse hits? How many times has the top box office record been broken? I think the "real" odds would have to be something closer to 100,000 to 1.

But that still means I'd be the sucker to take the bet.

I smell a side poll: pick the number 6 movie of the summer. It’s not too late to do this!
    Carolina delenda est

... #6 will be Ant Man & The Wasp, ...
    The trailer dropped and it looks really good.

Paul Rudd is perfect as the insecure superhero and Evangelina Lilly is the perfect putative pugilistic partner, deepening Antman's insecurities.

The action is compelling, as the heroes change sizes throughout fight and chase scenes.

This production seems to find the right comedic touch that I find lacking in Thor and Captain America films.

If Solo REALLY sucks, or if Incredibles falls flat, this could be a top 5 film.

Too soon!

Paul Rudd is perfect as the insecure superhero and Evangelina Lilly is the perfect putative pugilistic partner, deepening Antman's insecurities.

The action is compelling, as the heroes change sizes throughout fight and chase scenes.

This production seems to find the right comedic touch that I find lacking in Thor and Captain America films.

Did you see Thor: Ragnarok?

A thought regarding Solo - I saw Infinity War yesterday, which was preceded by a Solo trailer. The trailer was impressive in some senses - a ton of action, visually appealing and the sort of thing you'd think would impress viewers of Infinity War. Every time I've ever seen a Star Wars trailer in a theater, it has been accompanied by murmurs of excitement at a minimum and usually outright cheering. There was silence during the Solo trailer. I think that everyone else felt the same way I did - I'm apprehensive about the quality of the film, and the trailer did nothing to fundamentally change that.

Solo could stink, and people know it could stink.

2 to 1 odds sound good?

Whomever is in charge of doing the Marvel trailers...isn't getting paid enough

Too soon.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

2 to 1 odds sound good?
    I'd rather go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line than enter a pie bet against Jason Evans.

Unless the stakes I would lose are this pie:

cow pie.jpg