22 48.89%
  • Jurassic World

26 57.78%
  • Field

2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

JW2 - quick review

Expectations are an amazing thing. I walked in to Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom with very low expectations. I was sure it was going to be a mindless train wreck. So, when it was a little less than that, I was pleasantly surprised.

The first half of the movie is actually kinda good. I mean, you have to turn your brain off and not think about the utter absurdity of it all to enjoy it, but if you can do that you will have a good time. The final third is really ridiculous, full of just plain stupid writing and storytelling, but I was sorta completely bought it by that point so I didn't mind it too much. The final third also almost plays like a horror movie, with lots of jump scares and slow reveals of things in the shadows, which kept my interest nicely. Overall, the action is well done and the movie moves at a nice pace. There's so decent humor too, especially by Justice Smith, who plays the meek computer nerd to the hilt!

If this was a Marvel movie or something where I expect quality, I would have been disgusted, but it is cgi dinosaurs and a cgi volcano and it is just trying to make you enjoy your popcorn for 2 hours... so I forgive all the absurdity and say it is not that bad.

-Jason "I think it is going to be very close between this film and DP2 for our #3 slot... I give JW the edge for the moment" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm just going to be perpetually disappointed with the new Jurassic movies for having featherless dinos. What a missed opportunity.

Incredibles 2 did $26.9 million yesterday, one of the best Tuesdays ever. Every other film on this list either opened around the holidays or opened on a Tuesday.

Infinity war had $23.4 MM on its first Tuesday. I wonder how close Incredibles will get to IW's total? Even with the Tuesday results it's about $70MM below where IW was at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Expectations are an amazing thing. I walked in to Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom with very low expectations. I was sure it was going to be a mindless train wreck. So, when it was a little less than that, I was pleasantly

-Jason "I think it is going to be very close between this film and DP2 for our #3 slot... I give JW the edge for the moment" Evans
    Ryan Reynolds character? Good addition or throw away?

I think Deadpool is going to beat JP. And Incredibles is going to beat IWar. It’s the only kid movie out until the end of July. It’s doing huge weekday business. I saw it yesterday. The theater was packed. I thought the first half was just so so. From the moment the raccoon appeared it was fun. Not as good as the original - in my opinion - but more small child friendly and still great for adults.

Expectations are an amazing thing. I walked in to Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom with very low expectations. I was sure it was going to be a mindless train wreck. So, when it was a little less than that, I was pleasantly surprised.

The first half of the movie is actually kinda good. I mean, you have to turn your brain off and not think about the utter absurdity of it all to enjoy it, but if you can do that you will have a good time. The final third is really ridiculous, full of just plain stupid writing and storytelling, but I was sorta completely bought it by that point so I didn't mind it too much. The final third also almost plays like a horror movie, with lots of jump scares and slow reveals of things in the shadows, which kept my interest nicely. Overall, the action is well done and the movie moves at a nice pace. There's so decent humor too, especially by Justice Smith, who plays the meek computer nerd to the hilt!

If this was a Marvel movie or something where I expect quality, I would have been disgusted, but it is cgi dinosaurs and a cgi volcano and it is just trying to make you enjoy your popcorn for 2 hours... so I forgive all the absurdity and say it is not that bad.

Here is my appearance on the radio WCNN in Atlanta this morning where I talk a bit about Jurassic World 2. It actually starts with a conversation about the NBA Draft because sports radio guys love to talk sports

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...n-of-the-radio
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    I think Deadpool is going to beat JP. And Incredibles is going to beat IWar. It’s the only kid movie out until the end of July. It’s doing huge weekday business. I saw it yesterday. The theater was packed. I thought the first half was just so so. From the moment the raccoon appeared it was fun. Not as good as the original - in my opinion - but more small child friendly and still great for adults.
    Interesting. Didn’t Jason say it was too scary for younger kids? Incredibles 2 I mean.

Jurassic World is projected to open at $130MM which I think is lower than Deadpool. Maybe the mediocre reviews are taking a toll?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Jurassic World is projected to open at $130MM which I think is lower than Deadpool. Maybe the mediocre reviews are taking a toll?
    JW projection down from $140m. Has the 4th of July weekend pretty much to itself.

DPII opened @ $125mil. Probably better staying power because of R rating and Ryan Reynolds. Niche with little competition.

This could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    DPII opened @ $125mil. Probably better staying power because of R rating and Ryan Reynolds. Niche with little competition.
    There have been a few days in the past week where DP2 has pulled more than Solo. That's pretty crazy when you think about it. I doubt anyone would have predicted DP2 with 50% more take than Solo.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    JW projection down from $140m. Has the 4th of July weekend pretty much to itself.

This could be interesting.
    JW2 has steadily improved the opening number. A few days ago, the word was it would be $130 mil. Then, after the Thursday previews it was $140 mil. By Saturday morning it was $145 mil and now the number is supposedly $150 mil. It is getting an A- Cinemascore and ComScore gives it an 82% positive reading (82% of people who saw it said they had positive feelings about it). So, despite so-so reviews, it seems JW2 may have decent word of mouth.

Obviously, we need to see a lot more, but I think JW2 has to be a small favorite to top DP2 and be our #3 film (#1 Avengers and #2 Incredibles are mortal locks). I would say it is 60-40 for JW2 to end up on top. I think the fact that there is little new competition next weekend will help a bit and JW2 should still be strong through the July 4th holiday.

-Jason "it will be fun to watch these two battle it out over the next several weeks" Evans

The first half of the movie is actually kinda good. I mean, you have to turn your brain off and not think about the utter absurdity of it all to enjoy it, but if you can do that you will have a good time.
    Saw it last night and agree with the above review. There is a brief post credits scene that was not worth staying for.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-27-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Saw Fallen Kingdom on Monday. It was fine, but not worth making a trip to the theater for.

Is that not true

you have to turn your brain off and not think about the utter absurdity of it all to enjoy it,
    of almost all of the hit movies these days.

SoCal

It has zero, none, nada chance in out poll...

But I saw a screening of Sicario: Day of the Soldado and I just wanted to come here to say what a fabulous film it is. Gritty, real, and brutal. It isn't quite as good at the first one -- which was among the top 5 or so films of 2015 -- but it is darn close. There's a somewhat confusing turn of the plot about 2/3rds of the way through that took me out of the film for a little bit, but aside from that it is truly brilliant filmmaking and storytelling. Uncompromising, detailed, and honest with some amazing acting performances (Benicio Del Toro deserves to be a short lift for Best Actor, I think). The opening ten minutes are truly gripping and intense.

If you enjoyed the first one at all or if you like drug/crime kinda stories, check it out!

-Jason "the critic association of which I am a member just had us do a top 5 of the first half of the year... and this film comes in at #2 on my list" Evans

… Benicio Del Toro deserves to be a short lift for Best Actor, I think ...

Well, BDT is, surprisingly to me anyway, 6'2" (3-4" taller than co-star Josh Brolin). So he would only need a short lift.

It has zero, none, nada chance in out poll...

But I saw a screening of Sicario: Day of the Soldado and I just wanted to come here to say what a fabulous film it is. Gritty, real, and brutal. It isn't quite as good at the first one -- which was among the top 5 or so films of 2015 -- but it is darn close. There's a somewhat confusing turn of the plot about 2/3rds of the way through that took me out of the film for a little bit, but aside from that it is truly brilliant filmmaking and storytelling. Uncompromising, detailed, and honest with some amazing acting performances (Benicio Del Toro deserves to be a short lift for Best Actor, I think). The opening ten minutes are truly gripping and intense.

If you enjoyed the first one at all or if you like drug/crime kinda stories, check it out!

-Jason "the critic association of which I am a member just had us do a top 5 of the first half of the year... and this film comes in at #2 on my list" Evans
    Sitting at 71% on RT. I've seen some glowing reviews, like yours, and some not so great ones as well. Hoping to check it out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Sitting at 71% on RT. I've seen some glowing reviews, like yours, and some not so great ones as well. Hoping to check it out this weekend.
    It is pretty violent, which I suspect turned off some critics. If fake explosions and bullets to the head and stuff like that do not bother you, I think it is a real winner.

Just got back from seeing Sicario 2. Enjoyed it. Definitely not as good as the first. I didn't enjoy the side plot with the teenage boy, the turn it made in the middle, or how off the rails the last 15 minutes were. The first half of the film was excellent. Great action and cinematography. Enjoyed the score as much as the first time around.

All in all a solid movie, but could have been better. A Quiet Place and Annihilation still my favorite movies from 2018. Sicario 2 might sneak in the top 10.
    Last edited by luburch; 06-30-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Wow! This is the first time I've looked at the box office numbers since Incredibles 2 was released. Currently sits at $440mil. More than I anticipated.

JW2 is at $265mil. Had a steeper drop off than Incredibles 2. I think it will catch Deadpool 2 by the month's end.

Ant-Man and the Wasp comes out this weekend. The first one made $180mil. Will the sequel gross more?