22 48.89%
  • Jurassic World

26 57.78%
  • Field

2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    There's a pretty easy way to handle threads about things you aren't interested in...
    But, but, but, but...

What if someone is WRONG on the Internet?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    But, but, but, but...

What if someone is WRONG on the Internet?

We'll just have to cross that bridge if we ever come to it ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I was wrong once. But thankfully, it wasn't online.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I was wrong once. But thankfully, it wasn't online.
    Perhaps the poster considered it:

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    I gather this poll was about the money these films pry from the wallets of the American public. What a sad exercise. I vote for the "Field" in protest (3 times) as I can't imagine myself sitting through any of the others. I don't understand the enthusiasm for the part II, prequel, superhero, remake shenanigans. The trajectory of Hollywood's creativity mirrors Detroit's automakers. Don't submit, go see The Seagull or something that doesn't have Happy Meal figurines.
    Lighten up Francis.

Saw Incredibles 2 with family. 8 year old loved it, 6 year old thought it was ok, wife thought it was meh, and I enjoyed it. Our theater was packed and I think this movie will have some legs the rest of the summer. It was obvious who the villain was but the Mr. Mom stuff, especially Mr. Incredible’s take on new math, was great. And of course Jack-Jack.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Looks like I2 opened with a $180M weekend, beating the previous record for an animated movie (Finding Dory) by $45M.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well I’m out. Picked Avengers, JP and Deadpool

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Never pick against the first animated film of the summer. Ever. Parents with kids under 10 all went. And they’ll go again and again.

Of course even if I had picked Incredibles I’m not sure which of JP and Deadpool I would have picked for third. Probably JP. Just because of the teenage boys. But it would have been close. What I knew was that solo would finish last. But there are no points for that.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    What I knew was that solo would finish last. But there are no points for that.
    There should be.
    I remember saying months ago that I wouldn't pick Solo because it looked like a disaster. Then I got sucked in by the trailers, and because it is Star Wars. So I picked it against better judgement.
    JW vs I2 vs DP is going to be interesting. Drawback for Incredibles is that JW opens this weekend, but I think the super family has longer legs. I don't know if it will be enough to win the race vs those two, though...but I think they both outpace Deadpool 2.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Lighten up Francis.

Saw Incredibles 2 with family. 8 year old loved it, 6 year old thought it was ok, wife thought it was meh, and I enjoyed it. Our theater was packed and I think this movie will have some legs the rest of the summer. It was obvious who the villain was but the Mr. Mom stuff, especially Mr. Incredible’s take on new math, was great. And of course Jack-Jack.
    Having been told once on DBR, I don't think by you, to "lighten up Francis" I actually had to look this up. I then vaguely remembered it from the movie Stripes. I'm surprised the phrase had the these legs, 30+ years later.

I need to watch Stripes again. I didn't think it was any great comedy classic but, with time, I may better appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Having been told once on DBR, I don't think by you, to "lighten up Francis" I actually had to look this up. I then vaguely remembered it from the movie Stripes. I'm surprised the phrase had the these legs, 30+ years later.

I need to watch Stripes again. I didn't think it was any great comedy classic but, with time, I may better appreciate it.
    It is a snarky way of saying "I'm old and don't have any pop-culture references to say 'I think you are being overly dramatic' from the last three decades".

PS...I still remember seeing Stripes in the theater with my parents.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It is a snarky way of saying "I'm old and don't have any pop-culture references to say 'I think you are being overly dramatic' from the last three decades".

Are there any better ones? Just because the reference is 30 years old doesn't mean it's been done better since then. We may have to go to the mattresses on this one. And then I'll be forced to make you sleep with the fishes.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Are there any better ones? Just because the reference is 30 years old doesn't mean it's been done better since then. We may have to go to the mattresses on this one. And then I'll be forced to make you sleep with the fishes.
    I'm still stuck on "settle down, Beavis" (dating me)

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Excellent!

Heh heh, heh heh. That was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Are there any better ones? Just because the reference is 30 years old doesn't mean it's been done better since then. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    So the answer is no. It has not been done better since then.

As dudog84 asked, has it been done better? How dare you besmirch the great Sgt. Hulka he’s like a big toe you know.

So the answer is no. It has not been done better since then.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    As dudog84 asked, has it been done better? How dare you besmirch the great Sgt. Hulka he’s like a big toe you know.
    Lighten up, Francis.

By the way, I miss John Candy. Sucks that he died so young. He was forever typecast as the optimistic goofball, but was perfect at it. It would have been interesting to see him have a longer career and take on a few dramatic roles.

By the way, I miss John Candy. Sucks that he died so young. He was forever typecast as the optimistic goofball, but was perfect at it. It would have been interesting to see him have a longer career and take on a few dramatic roles.
    He had a couple stabs at something more dramatic. He had a small role in JFK as a key witness in the investigation into Clay Shaw (the character played by Tommy Lee Jones). He also made several films that contained a good bit of drama, even though they were also comedies -- none of which really struck a chord with audiences or critics. I would count Only the Lonely, Who's Harry Crumb, Nothing But Trouble, and Delirious in this category.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He had a couple stabs at something more dramatic. He had a small role in JFK as a key witness in the investigation into Clay Shaw (the character played by Tommy Lee Jones). He also made several films that contained a good bit of drama, even though they were also comedies -- none of which really struck a chord with audiences or critics. I would count Only the Lonely, Who's Harry Crumb, Nothing But Trouble, and Delirious in this category.
    Right. I'm thinking about Bill Murray's and Robin Williams' career paths. Both are amazing at being funny, but did a fine job in dramatic roles. It took a while for those opportunities to arrive, and they had to fight to make them happen. I think Candy could have explored the same road if he lived long enough.

Lighten up, Francis.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    And what about his dramatic turn as Uncle Buck? Man with a hatchet. That's pretty dramatic!