22 48.89%
  • Jurassic World

26 57.78%
  • Field

2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Hey! Picking on me for Interstellar is no fair. I didn't have it in my top 5, and then it had a mediocre opening weekend, and I said there was no way it would break the top 5, and then it just kept holding onto its audience. Took it several weeks, and the movie did what very few movies have done in the last 15 years, which is have no major drop off after the first month. I'm still surprised that if ended up doing as well as it did (mainly because it was long, and I thought a little boring / overly dramatic - with an inanely dumb ending).

If you want to rip on my movie picking prowess...point out that I didn't pick Wonder Woman to make the Top 5. Or that I didn't pick Black Panther to make the Top 5. Those were bad decisions. Interstellar, I just got unlucky. : - )
    I never used to care about following box office numbers. Your Interstellar antics are what showed me these threads could be fun. We need more cartoonish declarations of certainty!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    As I suspected, JW2 sucks. I don't think it will matter though, and make a ton of money. I didn't vote for it, instead going with Solo, but I think JW2 will fill Solo's slot in the top three.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jur...fallen_kingdom

(Bright side, Incredibles 2 is showing a strong 96% on the tomatometer.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Incredibles opening estimated at $135-150MM. Not sure what that would imply for its top 3 chances, anyone care to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Incredibles opening estimated at $135-150MM. Not sure what that would imply for its top 3 chances, anyone care to comment?
    Deadpool 2 opening weekend was $125. Normal multiplier for opening weekend gross to final total is 2.5-3x for blockbusters. Deadpool is currently at $280 with a $14 million last weekend. Probably finish $325-$330.

If Incredibles 2 hit the higher end of the $135-150MM estimate it would seem nearly certain to finish ahead of Deadpool 2 thus clinching a spot in the Top 3 contest.

If it hits $135MM, it will be close but I think it will still overtake DeadPool 2. The next PG-rated "kids" movie is Hotel Transylvania 3 on July 13th. Jurassic World 2 could also be considered a kids movie (I know I'm taking my 6 year old son) but its PG-13 rating alone will scare off many parents with kids in the 5-7 year old range.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    As I suspected, JW2 sucks. I don't think it will matter though, and make a ton of money. I didn't vote for it, instead going with Solo, but I think JW2 will fill Solo's slot in the top three.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jur...fallen_kingdom
    60% on RT... not exactly "sucks" but not exactly good. Then again, the last Jurassic flick was only 71% on the Tomatoemeter and it made a dino-sized bank vault full of money.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    60% on RT... not exactly "sucks" but not exactly good. Then again, the last Jurassic flick was only 71% on the Tomatoemeter and it made a dino-sized bank vault full of money.
    The problem with RT is that it's full of self important critics who think every movie must advance the art of moving making in order to get a fresh rating.

A dino-disaster-action-blockbuster is never going to be anything more or less than what it is. Acting, rational plot lines, and character development need not apply. They aren't the stars of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The problem with RT is that it's full of self important critics who think every movie must advance the art of moving making in order to get a fresh rating.

A dino-disaster-action-blockbuster is never going to be anything more or less than what it is. Acting, rational plot lines, and character development need not apply. They aren't the stars of the movie.
    Perhaps it's true for dinos, but it's definitely possible for a blockbuster type movie to get a great RT score. GoG was 91%. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was 93% as 2 examples.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Perhaps it's true for dinos, but it's definitely possible for a blockbuster type movie to get a great RT score. GoG was 91%. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was 93% as 2 examples.
    More recently, Black Panther was 97%, Thor Ragnarok was 92%, The Last Jedi was 91%, Wonder Women was 92%, Spiderman Homecoming was 92%, and War For The Planet of the Apes was 93%.

And, conversely, it is certainly possible to be a big, big boxoffice hit without being a RT success story.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was a godawful 19% on RT... and it made $402 million.
    Suicide Squad was just 27% on RT... and it made $325 mil.
    Batman vs. Superman was also 27% and it made $330 mil.

-Jason "there are plenty of other examples" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I was underwhelmed with Incredibles 2. I saw everything coming a mile away and just found it a lot lot lot less funny than the first one. Jack-Jack was cute and amusing, though much of the fun there is shown already in the trailers. The Mr. Mom stuff with Mr. Incredible is decent, but on the whole the movie is just ok, not great. My wife and 21 year old son, who both adore the original, saw it with me and 100% agreed.

That said, we may have all had the same bad attitude pill prior to seeing this movie because I know a lot of other folks who think it was wonderful. I am betting a lot of you will come back and say you really liked it. It just didn't work for me in nearly the way the first one did (or Ratatouille or The Iron Giant). It isn't bad, it just isn't great and I had great expectations for this film.

Anyway, here is audio of my latest appearance on the radio here in Atlanta in which we talk about Incredibles 2, Oceans 8, and Julio Jones (because even movie critics can be sports fans).

I was underwhelmed with Incredibles 2. I saw everything coming a mile away and just found it a lot lot lot less funny than the first one. Jack-Jack was cute and amusing, though much of the fun there is shown already in the trailers. The Mr. Mom stuff with Mr. Incredible is decent, but on the whole the movie is just ok, not great. My wife and 21 year old son, who both adore the original, saw it with me and 100% agreed.

That said, we may have all had the same bad attitude pill prior to seeing this movie because I know a lot of other folks who think it was wonderful. I am betting a lot of you will come back and say you really liked it. It just didn't work for me in nearly the way the first one did (or Ratatouille or The Iron Giant). It isn't bad, it just isn't great and I had great expectations for this film.

Anyway, here is audio of my latest appearance on the radio here in Atlanta in which we talk about Incredibles 2, Oceans 8, and Julio Jones (because even movie critics can be sports fans).
    Well, I wish I had read this story a couple days ago as it would have explained a lot of what was wrong with Incredibles 2. It seems Brad Bird was unable to come up with the story for a loooong time and he was doing major rewrites, including reworking the entire villain, after Pixar has already announced a release date (which means he was under a huge time crunch and had to come up with something, even if it was an idea that didn't really work).

And so Bird came up with another villain, but that didn’t work either. He created the character of Winston Deavor (voiced by Bob Odenkirk) who changed tones drastically throughout the process. At first Winston had a brother, then he had a sister, and on and on. “I just kept rewriting and rewriting and rewriting and every time I rewrote everybody had to adjust,” Bird said. “It kept the core idea of the role switch and all of that. Jack Jack being a featured player was still in there. But that other aspect was always changing.”
    -Jason "let's not forget, this is Brad Bird putting the best possible spin on things, this is him selling the movie by talking about how he had no idea what he was going to do well into the filming process... not good" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Well, I wish I had read this story a couple days ago as it would have explained a lot of what was wrong with Incredibles 2. It seems Brad Bird was unable to come up with the story for a loooong time and he was doing major rewrites, including reworking the entire villain, after Pixar has already announced a release date (which means he was under a huge time crunch and had to come up with something, even if it was an idea that didn't really work).

-Jason "let's not forget, this is Brad Bird putting the best possible spin on things, this is him selling the movie by talking about how he had no idea what he was going to do well into the filming process... not good" Evans
    Well, not bad …

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...cid=spartanntp

$173 m would "obliterate the previous record for an animated movie opening, set two years ago by Disney-Pixar’s “Finding Dory” at $135 million. [and] would be the 11th-biggest domestic launch ever, just behind “Iron Man 3” at $174.1 million."

JWII tracking at an opening weekend around $140 mil.

DPII opened @ $125mil.

Caught Incredibles 2 this evening. Enjoyable film. Definitely predictable, but it's a kids movie after all. Not sure how much more you could expect from a sequel 14 years after the original. Not a top 5 Pixar film, but possibly in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Caught Incredibles 2 this evening. Enjoyable film. Definitely predictable, but it's a kids movie after all. Not sure how much more you could expect from a sequel 14 years after the original. Not a top 5 Pixar film, but possibly in the top 10.
    I agree. I thought it was good and better than most animated movies released these days. Pixar set the bar so high it's tough to live up to their past.

The theater I was on was jam packed. Lots of laughing especially once Jack Jack began to be more prominent. Overall I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.

$175 mil means it is a lock to earn $350+ which will be more than Deadpool 2 (it will earn about $9 mil this weekend and sits at $295 mil in total). Someone check the results and see who had Avengers and Incredibles but not Solo... those are the folks still in the 3-for-3 running. If you had Avengers, DP2, and Jurassic then you are out of the contest.

-Jason "A+ cinemascore for Incredibles 2... lots of folks like it a heck of a lot more than I did. My expectations were just too high, I think" Evans

$175 mil means it is a lock to earn $350+ which will be more than Deadpool 2 (it will earn about $9 mil this weekend and sits at $295 mil in total). Someone check the results and see who had Avengers and Incredibles but not Solo... those are the folks still in the 3-for-3 running. If you had Avengers, DP2, and Jurassic then you are out of the contest.

-Jason "A+ cinemascore for Incredibles 2... lots of folks like it a heck of a lot more than I did. My expectations were just too high, I think" Evans
    It's DP v dinos for me.

Ironic after the Celine Dion promo that I am rooting for Deadpool to have great legs.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Well, not bad …

$173 m would "obliterate the previous record for an animated movie opening, set two years ago by Disney-Pixar’s “Finding Dory” at $135 million. [and] would be the 11th-biggest domestic launch ever, just behind “Iron Man 3” at $174.1 million."

JWII tracking at an opening weekend around $140 mil.

DPII opened @ $125mil.
    New projection for Incredibles 2 is $182 mil.

Just walked out of Incredibles with my 4 y/o. I’m on Jason’s side here. Really, really disappointing.

There were some great sequences that were reminiscent of the first movie, but large parts of the movie were predictable and boring.

More importantly, it’s supposed to be a kids’ Pixar movie and was really scary. I felt like I was watching an animated version of a Christopher Nolan Batman movie at times. Extended intense action sequences, most of the movie takes place in dimly lit environments, scary masks, bad guys attacking with weapons straight out of the latest Star Wars movies. Heck, it felt a lot like Star Wars.

Absolutely bizarre, and really disappointing that kids who adored the first one were too frightened to enjoy the sequel. The 4 y/o couldn’t make it through the whole movie, and loves pretty much every other Pixar movie.

I gather this poll was about the money these films pry from the wallets of the American public. What a sad exercise. I vote for the "Field" in protest (3 times) as I can't imagine myself sitting through any of the others. I don't understand the enthusiasm for the part II, prequel, superhero, remake shenanigans. The trajectory of Hollywood's creativity mirrors Detroit's automakers. Don't submit, go see The Seagull or something that doesn't have Happy Meal figurines.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    I gather this poll was about the money these films pry from the wallets of the American public. What a sad exercise. I vote for the "Field" in protest (3 times) as I can't imagine myself sitting through any of the others. I don't understand the enthusiasm for the part II, prequel, superhero, remake shenanigans. The trajectory of Hollywood's creativity mirrors Detroit's automakers. Don't submit, go see The Seagull or something that doesn't have Happy Meal figurines.
    LOL, perhaps it would be best recommended that we read Don Quixote again?

I did see my one film of the summer in a theater yesterday, Solo. Nothing about it would dissuade me from another film under the Star Wars halo. JW2 looked awful to me. The cineplex was over run with kids hoping to catch Incredibles 2.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 06-17-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    There's a pretty easy way to handle threads about things you aren't interested in...