Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Hang on... the same mom who said college basketball is a "con" and talked about how it was unfair that he was forced to go to even one year of college is now pushing her son to come back to school? Whaaaat?
    I don't think the two statements are necessarily incompatible...though it is a stretch to give her the benefit of doubt. One can believe that college basketball on the whole is a con for players gunning for the NBA, while also believing that there are other factors than gunning for the NBA which may drive someone's decision...as could be the case here.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ft-parents-say

So does anybody actually buy this? Kylia goes off on how college basketball is just a huge con less than 2 weeks ago, and now she is encouraging Wendell to stay at Duke?

That would be a dream come true (I <3 Wendell Carter), but come on. Let's be real. He should go to the NBA.
    Could this be why EJ Montgomery didn't choose Duke? Or as some have said, why Duke decided to pull back on recruiting him?

I'd still be surprised if he came back though. If he actually came back because of academic reasons then wouldn't it make sense to stay for 3 years and get his degree?

-Jason "24 hours ago, I would have said there was a 0% chance of him coming back... I now give it a solid 1-2% chance... woo hoo!!" Evans
    Obligatory Dumb & Dumber meme:

carey.jpg

I can't even begin to imagine Carter will do it, but if he got a good insurance policy that protected him from a perilous draft plunge due to injury, it is not a terrible financial decision.
    Duke already gets insurance policies for its top players and picks up the tab. Coach K has said as much with his meetings with donors.

My mind is blanking at the moment. I am sure there are many other guys who have done it.
    Alonzo Trier came back, he’s probably projected about the same as he would have been last year. Also Marcus Smart. And that guy from Texas A&M who had that awesome windmill dunk on the CHeats, he was a projected lotto pick last year and goes a couple spots higher now.

The flip side is William Avery, who left too early, was never given a real shot as he was the third PG off the bench for a couple seasons and then faded away. Had he stayed, he would have been drafted higher and therefore the team would have been committed to developing him. I think that point is often lost when people say you can develop in the pros faster than in college - if you’re a second round pick grinding in the D league, then your team doesn’t really care about developing you.

I agree with you that there is a big difference between guys who are physical freaks and would be drafted as freshmen based on potential, versus more skilled players like Carter (who is also very athletic). James Michael MacAdoo actually had some good comments about this, he said if he had left after his freshman year he would have been a high pick, but he would have been out of the league before his second contract because he hadn’t learned how to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    C'mon folks, don't do this to yourselves. He's not coming back.
    I dunno. If K passed on E.J. Montgomery, it may have been because of Wendell's return.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I dunno. If K passed on E.J. Montgomery, it may have been because of Wendell's return.
    The speculation was that Duke eased up on Montgomery to chase a grad transfer, which by all indications means Joe Cremo. But it was just speculation after all.

The speculation was that Duke eased up on Montgomery to chase a grad transfer, which by all indications means Joe Cremo. But it was just speculation after all.
    That speculation never made sense to me. Duke had the ability to get both Montgomery and a grad transfer. The scholarship Robinson got this year and last were not guaranteed, as Robinson was a walk-on. Robinson knew coming in (he chose Duke without any promise of a scholarship) that he would only be eligible for a scholarship if they had one left over. I can’t imagine Duke would turn down a top-10 recruit to honor a scholarship that was never promised in the first place.

Not saying the Montgomery recruitment has anything to do with Carter. Just that I can’t imagine it has anything to do with Cremo.

Don't
    get
    your
    hopes
    up.

DON'T

K has said Wendell is one of the smartest players he has ever coached.

There's that.

As for Carter, I certainly can't say I think he'll be back, even after this article. Not remotely so. That being said, I can certainly make a reasonable argument as to why one could choose to return. It goes something like this:

1. He'd be the 5th big taken in this draft (behind Ayton, Bagley, Jackson, and Bamba), taken in the back half of the lottery. Next year, he'd be the #1 big, taken probably top 3. That's a multi-million dollar difference in salary over the first 3 years - perhaps as much as $8-10 million difference. And I don't think that an extra year in college means one fewer years in the NBA (I think NBA years are harder on players physically than college years), so I don't know that it would necessarily be lost salary on the back end. We could certainly quibble about present value of money, but it's far from certain that going will mean more present value for money in this case.
    2. If he's happy in school, staying has value.
    3. If he isn't ready emotionally, staying has value.
    4. If he wants a mulligan on his NCAA tourney experience, staying has value.

Again, I STRONGLY suspect he's going pro. I'd be quite shocked if he came back. This article does nothing to change that. But I could certainly understand a decision to come back.

He should do whatever will make him happiest. I have no idea what that is for him though. I'll be good with whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Don't
    get
    your
    hopes
    up.

DON'T
    Precisely. It's April 11, not April 1.

When players say they struggle with this decision, I believe them. It is Wendell’s life, and he only gets one shot. But like just about everyone who has struggled with the decision, I think he will leave.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That speculation never made sense to me. Duke had the ability to get both Montgomery and a grad transfer. The scholarship Robinson got this year and last were not guaranteed, as Robinson was a walk-on. Robinson knew coming in (he chose Duke without any promise of a scholarship) that he would only be eligible for a scholarship if they had one left over. I can’t imagine Duke would turn down a top-10 recruit to honor a scholarship that was never promised in the first place.

Not saying the Montgomery recruitment has anything to do with Carter. Just that I can’t imagine it has anything to do with Cremo.
    My hunch is that probably involved playing time. Everyone knows Coach K plays about 7 guys, MAYBE 8.

With just Barrett, Williamson, Reddish, Jones, Bolden, DeLaurier, and O'Connell, that's already 7. I don't really know that we had room for both (Montgomery & Cremo), since both guys would justifiably be looking to play rotation minutes.

But again, it was speculation. Not something to put much stock in to begin with. FWIW, it does seem to be accepted that Duke backed off of Montgomery, though.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    i would love a year 2 of wendell but go young man. Your talent and gift has a short and delicate shelf life.
    this ^^^^...

I thought Cremo was being pursued as a replacement for Trent. Is that crazy?

I know it will likely not happen, but let me dream... Zion on one block and Wendell on the other? Phewwww weeee!!! Let it be!

My hunch is that probably involved playing time. Everyone knows Coach K plays about 7 guys, MAYBE 8.

With just Barrett, Williamson, Reddish, Jones, Bolden, DeLaurier, and O'Connell, that's already 7. I don't really know that we had room for both (Montgomery & Cremo), since both guys would justifiably be looking to play rotation minutes.

But again, it was speculation. Not something to put much stock in to begin with. FWIW, it does seem to be accepted that Duke backed off of Montgomery, though.
    If pressed to guess, my guess would be that Duke backed off after "knowing" that Bolden would return. Because in that scenario, we'd have a plenty deep frontcourt with Bolden, Williamson, and DeLaurier, and Vrankovic, White, and Robinson available for spot minutes.

But, even that is pure speculation.

Sure, he considered it (and his mom wanted him to go to Harvard), but he still chose the best basketball decision, which was Duke. I think this is the same thing all over again. He'll hem and haw over the decision, but will end up doing the best basketball thing once again. I think a few of our past OADs have done the same song and dance. As you said, Jabari comes to mind.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE if he came back for another year. He was by far my personal favorite of the 2017 freshmen class, and IMO he was the most important player on the team (Marvin is more talented, but Wendell was more key to our success). I think Wendell's foul trouble against KU was the #1 reason we missed out on the Final Four.

But this is a charade. He's going pro.
    It is difficult to understand all the drivers involved. On the one hand, there is a pile of money awaiting him in the NBA , and on the other hand he may genuinely have achievements he would like to make that require an academic education. Best to let him and his family to think it through and give us, his fans, their reasoning for their decision. Whatever is decided, it doesn't end his chance at either the NBA or of going back for further education. Maybe he wants to become a doctor or a political figure instead of a rich athlete. From what I understand he is very intelligent and will make the right decision for him.

I think the main argument for going is early is the possibility of getting hurt. In fact, I think the rigors of the game is why so many of these young guys are getting hurt their first few years in the NBA, their bodies aren't ready for it. Very very few LeBron bodies out there. In college, you've got a max of 38-40 40-minute games. The NBA base is 82 48-minute games. A decent playoff run adds another 20%. Plus you're banging in the lane against men, not other kids.

The second argument is getting past the rookie contract to the big money. But if your body is not ready and you are hurt for any significant portion of your rookie contract, that big money may not be so big. Wendell is probably going to make over $200 million in NBA salary. Is another $20 million that big of a difference? You can only spend so much (yes, I know how many pro athletes go broke, they seem to find a way).

But don't endorsement dollars have the potential to top salary? If you come back, are in the conversation for NPOY, build your brand, prepare your game, might you not make up that $20 million in 'lost' salary? And enjoy your life more if you like college?

I graduated a semester early, and still consider it the biggest mistake of my life (that and buying a Nehru jacket...I wonder if anyone will get the reference). You're only 20 once. He may not want to spend the better part of 7 months a year sitting in hotel rooms. Yes, if education is important to him he can always come back and get his degree. But I think sitting in a college classroom at 40 would be weird.

Some of these kids agonize over the decision. But it's a nice decision to have. Shouldn't be agonizing, follow your heart and mind and go with it. Wendell should do what he wants, not what Mom or Dad wants. That's often tough for a 19-year-old.

While I disagree strongly with the one-and-done system, I wish Wendell the best whichever decision he makes.