Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I kind of agree with this; everyone expects him to leave, so why would he hold a press conference to announce what everybody assumes to be true? Why not just let the information leak out over Twitter like all of the other top guys? But who knows; players in the past have done it both ways.
    Where did you see that there is a press conference?

Remember he committed to Duke well before Bagley. Maybe he just wants to be the one getting attention and respect he feels he lost to Bagley

I have not seen anywhere that there is going to be a press conference. Just that an "announcement" will be made at noon. Even the Duke twitter page cited in this thread, speaks to an announcement and credits the Undefeated with breaking the story.

Frankly, I wouldn't get too excited about the announcement today. I'd be amazed if he announces that he is coming back to Duke. It's a nice fantasy but, IMHO, would be a crazy decision on his part, if he factors in all of the considerations.

Yeah my bad, I read “announcement” and figured it would be some sort of press conference at the school. But I guess we don’t actually know what form the announcement will be.

I’ve allowed myself to imagine next year’s team with him, but if he ends up going then we’ll just be back where everyone thought we’d be in the first place so no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Frankly, I wouldn't get too excited about the announcement today. I'd be amazed if he announces that he is coming back to Duke. It's a nice fantasy but, IMHO, would be a crazy decision on his part, if he factors in all of the considerations.
    Nope. I am getting excited. Not crazy, he can be the first pick next year if he stays. Being a year older, stronger and better coaching is not crazy. Cross all fingers and toes.

Wasn't there an old TV show Welcome Back Carter?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Obviously I’m with everyone who sees a very slim chance of Carter returning. However, this whole business of him making an “announcement” is distinctly different from how the other three of our OADs this year, and for the most part in the past, have declared (with it “getting reported” and then some type of video/Players Tribune type thing). That’s given me room for optimism.

It reminds me (very roughly) of when Kyle Singler said he was returning for his senior year. The consensus on campus was he was gonna go pro, but then they announced a press conference and he said he was coming back. Obviously we aren’t sure whether this is a press conference or not, but if that is what it materializes as it doesn’t make any sense why he’d need one of those to announce he’s going pro (especially when no one else did).

Also, no one forget that Miles Bridges was projected to be picked in the same range as Carter is last year, and Izzo convinced him to come back. If he can do that K can (although obviously I doubt it would be a matter of “convincing” with K, he’d only suggest it if he thinks that’s what’s best for Wendell).

Why do you do this to yourselves? Just be happy he was here for a year. He's going to thank Duke, the coaches, his teammates, and say he's going to pursue his lifelong dream of playing in the NBA this year. And he'll be drafted in the NBA lottery, somewhere between 7th and 10th in June.

Today is also Wendell Carter's birthday.

Yeah my bad, I read “announcement” and figured it would be some sort of press conference at the school. But I guess we don’t actually know what form the announcement will be.

I’ve allowed myself to imagine next year’s team with him, but if he ends up going then we’ll just be back where everyone thought we’d be in the first place so no big deal.
    There was an earlier unsubstantiated Twitter rumor about a joint Carter-Duke press conference to be held yesterday AM--maybe that idea was implanted in your brain when you saw the "announcement" reference.

I expect, as someone said above, that this will be a standard "thanks, Duke, always want to be part of the brotherhood, going to pursue my career at the next level" video. Whether intentionally or not, though, the course of his decision making has garnered him a lot of attention--and more power to him. I have no beef at all with Wendell Carter Jr., who seems like a very solid citizen as well as a good basketball player, whether he goes or stays.

I'm wondering if the announcement is taking so long because he was having another "the sharpshooter" video made, similar to the one for his Duke commitment. The kid has flair, I'll give him that.

https://t.co/lRVt3gab5D

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
    I'm wondering if the announcement is taking so long because he was having another "the sharpshooter" video made, similar to the one for his Duke commitment. The kid has flair, I'll give him that.

https://t.co/lRVt3gab5D
    Yes, I wondered about this possibility as well. Guess we will find out at noon, if that scoop was correct.

Should I stay or should I go? Fifty fifty.

Where to look?

Has anyone seen anything about where to find this announcement? Obviously we'll find out via the Twitters soon enough, but just curious if anyone's seen anything. Current plan is just to be refreshing The Undefeated and Twitter starting at noon...

Seems to me like we're waiting on an article at this point (or maybe a prepared video as someone else suggested), rather than any kind of live video or press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshima25 View Post

Seems to me like we're waiting on an article at this point (or maybe a prepared video as someone else suggested), rather than any kind of live video or press conference.

This is my thought as well.

If it’s a prepared video, I’d have to assume he’s staying.

Player’s tribune maybe? I know Brandon Ingram put something there when he declared.

Duke released videos for each of the kids who declared for the NBA. It could be a video either way.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    Player’s tribune maybe? I know Brandon Ingram put something there when he declared.
    But the Carter family has consistently spoken to The Undefeated. If there is an article with the announcement, I would think it would be there.

-Jason "I sorta feel like folks have gone from hopeful but realistic to hopeful and unrealistic... I know I have " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Why? No matter the presentation, assume he's gone.

Like I said, this may be a Lebron-esque misjudgment on his part. But let's give the kid a break no matter what happens.