Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    I can’t help but wonder why he would be making a big deal out of it if he wasn’t staying... even though I know he’s gone. No matter what, good luck Wendell

I"ll be announcing at 8 a.m. (EDT) what I'm having for breakfast today, and that should be as suspenseful as Wendell's announcement. Early bets are on yogurt, walnuts and maple syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I"ll be announcing at 8 a.m. (EDT) what I'm having for breakfast today, and that should be as suspenseful as Wendell's announcement. Early bets are on yogurt, walnuts and maple syrup.
    But there are benefits to having coffee, OJ and an egg. How come no one does that anymore? I miss the days before OAD (On A Diet).

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    But there are benefits to having coffee, OJ and an egg. How come no one does that anymore? I miss the days before OAD (On A Diet).
    If coffee, OJ, and an egg aint a diet, then I've been doing it all wrong.

- Chillin

Hold on here! Do I sense a thread hijack in the making??
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hold on here! Do I sense a thread flapjack in the making??
    FIFY.

I would be absolutely stunned if this is anything other than a standard "I'm going to the NBA, thanks for the memories Duke" video in that dark room with the neon blue Duke "D" in the background as with all the others.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Great, now I want pancakes.

Marc Spears is an NBA reporter for ESPN and he is the one that got the scoop on the announcement. I know it's reading the tea leaves and all but that feels important. Most of the other college announcements through ESPN have been coming from Jeff Goodman's twitter.

My guess is 99.98% he is hiring an agent.

Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post
    Marc Spears is an NBA reporter for ESPN and he is the one that got the scoop on the announcement. I know it's reading the tea leaves and all but that feels important. Most of the other college announcements through ESPN have been coming from Jeff Goodman's twitter.

So, you're saying there's a chance? Yaay!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Making such a big deal out of the time an place to announce something that everyone already knows seems a little dramatic which leaves me to believe either...

A.) He's looking for attention and pats on the back, so he waited for everyone else to announce, let the dust settle, then have his moment in the sun with everyone tuned in; or....

B.) He's making an announcement because it's a big deal that he's coming back, and he wants to hype it up to get the fan base excited for next year and show his appreciation for Duke.

Those are the only two scenarios I can think of that would warrant an official announcement with such a specific time/date.

Here's to hoping for option "B".

I had a slim fast chocolate shake for breakfast, but now I want coffee, eggs, and grits.

That guess is 99 and 44 hundredths percent pure.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    That guess is 99 and 44 hundredths percent pure.
    A completely Ivory statement.

As we say in the South, I got ahold of Wendell's comments:

I am blessed. I am blessed by my wonderful supporting parents and by God, who has given me uncommon skills and a curious intellect. I have been blessed to attend Duke University, where I have made lifelong friends and where I have been exposed to students and professors and coaches who are among the most accomplished folks in the world.

I am blessed because I am told that I can continue my love of basketball in the NBA and be paid a king’s ransom to do so. So that’s what I intend to do. But not now!

I never left.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Making such a big deal out of the time an place to announce something that everyone already knows seems a little dramatic which leaves me to believe either...

A.) He's looking for attention and pats on the back, so he waited for everyone else to announce, let the dust settle, then have his moment in the sun with everyone tuned in; or...

B.) He's making an announcement because it's a big deal that he's coming back, and he wants to hype it up to get the fan base excited for next year and show his appreciation for Duke.

Those are the only two scenarios I can think of that would warrant an official announcement with such a specific time/date.

I had a slim fast chocolate shake for breakfast, but now I want coffee, eggs, and grits.
    It wasn’t an official announcement though, so B doesn’t really hold up. Sources leaked it to The Undefeated, the same outlet that got the exclusive post-season “big con” story and last week’s exclusive “still undecided” story. If I had to guess, I would say the sources regarding today’s announcement are the Carters themselves, and that The Undefeated will again have the exclusive story when the time comes.
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 04-16-2018 at 09:07 AM.

I haven't thought there was any chance that he's coming back, and still don't, but I do think you're reading too much into that. Marc Spears wrote the article last week about Wendell with quotes from his parents, so he's already established access to the family making it a natural choice for someone to reach out to him when they were ready to set an announcement

One way or the other, I'm sure his statements and what comes after will be a great representation of himself and Duke University. Go get your millions, or go get your banner (and then millions)... Not a bad problem to have on one's 19th name day.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post

A.) He's looking for attention and pats on the back, so he waited for everyone else to announce, let the dust settle, then have his moment in the sun with everyone tuned in; or...

Me thinks he wants the attention. This is the guy who did the (very cool) James Bond themed college announcement.

I love Wendell. I'll be rooting for him next yea whether he plays at Duke or in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    I can’t help but wonder why he would be making a big deal out of it if he wasn’t staying... even though I know he’s gone. No matter what, good luck Wendell
    Yep. There may be some mis-reading of how the audience will react going on here. Hey, it happened to an older and more media-savvy Lebron with The Decision, and Wendell is just turning 19 today. Hopefully Wendell's "presentation" is well-done, but if not, give the kid a break. If anyone got sucked it by this, it's your own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    I kind of agree with this; everyone expects him to leave, so why would he hold a press conference to announce what everybody assumes to be true? Why not just let the information leak out over Twitter like all of the other top guys? But who knows; players in the past have done it both ways.

He's announcing today that he has narrowed his choices to staying or going. Stay tuned.

Good luck Mr. Carter. We luv ya.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide