TJ Miller is in serious trouble

There has got to be more to this story...

T.J. Miller Charged With Calling In Fake Bomb Threat

Miller appeared today before U.S. District Judge Jeffrey A. Meyer in New Haven and was released on a $100,000 bond. The charge carries a maximum term of five years in prison.

According to federal prosecutors, Miller called a 911 dispatcher in New Jersey and reported that he was on Amtrak Train 2256 traveling from Washington, D.C., toward Penn Station in New York City, and that a female passenger “has a bomb in her bag.” Miller described the woman as having brown hair and a scarf. Amtrak officials stopped the train at Green’s Farms Station in Westport, Connecticut. Passengers were taken off the train and bomb squad members did a search but no explosive device or materials were found.
    -Jason "TJ is a strange bird... his departure from Silicon Valley did not go well as the cast and producers were reportedly more than happy to show him the door" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "TJ is a strange bird... his departure from Silicon Valley did not go well as the cast and producers were reportedly more than happy to show him the door" Evans
    Spoiler alert!!

OK, he's on a train someplace between DC and NYC, he calls the authorities about a bomb, and they stop the train hours later? Westport is more than an hour north of NYC, plus the trains usually make
    a semi lengthy stop at Penn Station in NYC...if the story is to be believed, the authorities let the train get to NYC, let off passengers, get new passengers, load on some inedible food, and
    chug off northward before being stopped in Connecticut? This makes no sense, or the cops were world class inept.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    OK, he's on a train someplace between DC and NYC, he calls the authorities about a bomb, and they stop the train hours later? Westport is more than an hour north of NYC, plus the trains usually make
    a semi lengthy stop at Penn Station in NYC...if the story is to be believed, the authorities let the train get to NYC, let off passengers, get new passengers, load on some inedible food, and
    chug off northward before being stopped in Connecticut? This makes no sense, or the cops were world class inept.
    To be fair, there are those who might argue that Penn Station should be cratered...

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    To be fair, there are those who might argue that Penn Station should be cratered...
    No argument there, what a hole. But if it's like every other Amtrak train, it would have stopped in Newark, then Penn Station, then a bunch of other stops (e.g. Stamford) before making it to Westport much later.

p.s. Silicon Valley is still very funny, but it really does miss Miller and his bong collection.

...TJ is a strange bird...

Strange bird?!

More like a head case who will possibly pull a "mental strain/substance abuse" card. Then disappear into rehab.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Seems like a reasonable response to me based on the nature of the report (there was a woman who "kept checking her bag" but was still on the train herself...reported by a caller who had slurred speech and sounded like he possibly has a mental illness). For all we know, they called the train and had the ticketing agent walk by a couple times to confirm there was nothing to worry about.

Well, he gave them an incorrect train number, and they went with the number he gave them. He was in New Jersey when he called, but the train number he actually gave them may have already been in NY, or already headed out of NY. (I haven't seen anything in any article that specifies when the train was stopped vs when he contacted them). So it may not actually have been much of a lag between his call and the investigation of the (wrong) train.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

I was sorry to read this about T.J. I practiced law with his father, Kent Miller, in Denver for about 8 years. Kent is a talented attorney, he wrote the hornbook on Colorado torts and, more importantly is a kind, funny, generous guy.

I met T.J. 4 or 5 times when he was in middle school and high school. He was a funny, nice kid.

T.J.'s younger sister, I can't remember her first name, played lacrosse at Duke.

Best wishes to the Miller family. I have great respect and affection for them.

I had to google "TJ Miller". I thought this was some sort of techie news, not Hollywood drama

I have no medical training whatsoever, but...

In 2010 TJ Miller had something (according to wikipedia, it was a "cerebral arteriovenous malformation", whatever that is) removed from his right frontal lobe, a part of the brain which helps regulate judgment and impulse control. Obviously I'm in no position to say whether that has anything to do with his well-publicized behavioral issues, but I can't help but be reminded of Phineas Gage and wonder.