Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Whom would you like to see as Duke assistant coaches in the future?

For me (in no particular order, and I'll exclude Battier because that seems highly unlikely.)

Nolan Smith (practically already there)
    Amile Jefferson
    DeMarcus Nelson
    Matt Jones
    Andre Dawkins
    Gerald Henderson
    Ryan Kelly
    Tyler Thornton
    Sean Dockery

Not sure how realistic getting Gerald would be. I believe during a broadcast this year, he said he's re-entering free agency in the NBA this year.
    Last edited by Duke95; 04-07-2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: addition

Two words: Christian Laettner

Good list and good topic. I’m saying Vic Bubas or Lefty Driesell. If Larry Brown goes to Memphis then why not?

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    One word: YES

How about we have a former player/NBA front office alumni coaching squad with Billy King and Danny Ferry? That's probably about as likely as Christian Laettner.

I basically assume anyone who made millions in the NBA would not be interested. Therefore my choices are: David McClure, Demarcus Nelson, Brian Zoubek, and hopefully down the line Tyler Thorton.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I basically assume anyone who made millions in the NBA would not be interested. Therefore my choices are: David McClure, Demarcus Nelson, Brian Zoubek, and hopefully down the line Tyler Thorton.
    Johnny Dawkins and Bobby Hurley both took assistant coaching jobs. I'd like to see Quinn Cook on the staff one day.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Johnny Dawkins and Bobby Hurley both took assistant coaching jobs. I'd like to see Quinn Cook on the staff one day.
    Good point, but they both had very injury shortened careers, and didn't make as much money (Lance Thomas will make more money in the NBA than Hurley and Dawkins combined), and it took Hurley a long time after basketball retirement to get into coaching.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Good point, but they both had very injury shortened careers, and didn't make as much money (Lance Thomas will make more money in the NBA than Hurley and Dawkins combined), and it took Hurley a long time after basketball retirement to get into coaching.
    Right, assuming that Lance and Quinn and the rest of the current Duke players in the NBA aren't being dumb about their money, they probably won't need to become end-of-the-bench assistants. Hurley and Dawkins are much older and I don't think they made "forever" money as players. Forget about current or fairly recent NBA players, including Shane Battier.

Brad Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Cool head, mental toughness, inside/out shooting and big man skills. Nah Duke couldn’t use it’s best ever at this combo coaching our squads.

Brian would coach the guards and free throw shooting

lives near a number of big white buildings
    I'd like to see Roy Williams on the end of the bench. (Towel boy)

No love for Greg Paulus here?

I think the young man has certainly proved himself as bankable.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    No love for Greg Paulus here?

I think the young man has certainly proved himself as bankable.
    I was just about to post something about Paulus. He wasn't retained on Louisville's staff, so apparently he's available right now. If Nate goes, maybe Nolan moves into a coaching role, and Paulus can take Nolan's coach-in-waiting spot.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Antonio lang.seemed to have great people skills.im not sure if he's still coaching.

Johnny played about 10 years in the league and made about $10 million in salary. Not the silly money guys are making today but if he was smart with his money, those earnings plus a ten year NBA pension means he didn't have to work if he didn't want to. He started at the very bottom - he spent his first year helping out across the athletic department. Then when Amaker left he became an assistant.

I loved Tony Lang and would love to have him on staff but he is working for Quin in Utah now and is in his mid-40s.

My top choice is Amile. I hope he has a long and prosperous pro career but after that he would be a great addition. From everything I saw he was smart, charismatic, humble, and willing to do whatever it takes to win.

Does it have to be former Duke players?

If so - I like Andre Dawkins or Mike Dunleavy. Laettner would be interesting but I just don't see it happening.

If not - Reggie Miller. Clutch, knows how to win (although never got that NBA ring...), knows how to find out what makes players tick...etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    I was just about to post something about Paulus. He wasn't retained on Louisville's staff, so apparently he's available right now.
    Paulus earlier was not retained on OSU's staff. I have the impression, subject to correction, that he did not do well in recruiting for Ohio State. Others may have better insight on that, I hope.

David McClure, Marty Clark, Nick Pagliuca