Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Reddish looked really outclassed last night. Hope he bounces back.

I think we need to use the once every four years trip opportunity to get some extra practice time for our incoming class.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much (although you'd like to see Cam show a bit more fight after a bad 1st half), RJ Barrett usually does this to the guy he's matched up against. He can really play some shut down defense. It's not a surprise at all that every time RJ has matched up with Cam, Cam has struggled.

There aren't a whole lot of guys with the length and quickness to contain Cam, and even if we are playing against such a guy, he's probably going to be guarding RJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Did I see Meeks is not going to play in the NBA finals due to taking a banned substance? Is this the UNC Meeks and if so was he taking substances during his college days? What is the NCAA doing to check college players for banned substances? I haven't heard much about that.

My bad, it was Jodie Meeks, a former Kentucky player. The other questions of drug policy enforcement by the nCAA is still of interesst to me.
    The only substances Kennedy Meeks abused during his stay at UNC were Twinkies, Little Debbies, and of course Krispy Kreme donuts.
    Last edited by -jk; 04-14-2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Barrett is a winner. He is the type of player that will be able to score on a zone with dribble drives. He is a fearless, relentless driver with good handles and amazing body control. I don't see him having a consistent 3 in college though.

I like Jones's game and think that he is the type of pg that Duke needs next year, if he only had a respectable 3. But he is a two way leader and is always looking to setup his teammates.

Reddish just doesn't have any junk yard dog in him. Tons of talent and potential but at this time a complimentary player. I think he will be a streaky shooter also. Should be a good defender with his physical talents but has a long way to go on that side of the ball.

I'm in the camp of more of the same for Duke next year. I'm looking forward to the journey though.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Barrett is a winner. He is the type of player that will be able to score on a zone with dribble drives. He is a fearless, relentless driver with good handles and amazing body control. I don't see him having a consistent 3 in college though.

I like Jones's game and think that he is the type of pg that Duke needs next year, if he only had a respectable 3. But he is a two way leader and is always looking to setup his teammates.

Reddish just doesn't have any junk yard dog in him. Tons of talent and potential but at this time a complimentary player. I think he will be a streaky shooter also. Should be a good defender with his physical talents but has a long way to go on that side of the ball.

I'm in the camp of more of the same for Duke next year. I'm looking forward to the journey though.
    I advise strongly against extrapolating about abilities, roles, and narratives for next year based on three glorified pick-up high school pickup games. In past years our recruits have been a mixed bag in these games. Just last year Gary Trent Jr. was 2-10 from 3PT range in all three games and yet he shot 40% as a freshman this year from distance. Wendell Carter Jr. was a "complementary" player in these games and was a dominant force inside for us. The truth is, these games tell us next to nothing about what these guys will be for Duke.

I know that scouts have dogged Reddish in their reports for his motor, so I'm not dismissing your "junkyard dog" label. But here are several examples of the Cam Reddish I expect will be suiting up for the Devils next year: here, here, and here

I don't think people realize how good Barrett is gonna be. He'll be better than Jabari, Ingram and even Bagely.

Cam and Zion are studs as well and with Barrett as the alpha dog they'll be unbelievable complimentary players.

Tre will be a solid pg as a freshmen but like everyone else has mentioned I worry abut his 3pt shot. I also just can't see him as a one and done. He's definitely an NBA player but not until he gets a jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Did I see Meeks is not going to play in the NBA finals due to taking a banned substance? Is this the UNC Meeks and if so was he taking substances during his college days? What is the NCAA doing to check college players for banned substances? I haven't heard much about that.

My bad, it was Jodie Meeks, a former Kentucky player. The other questions of drug policy enforcement by the nCAA is still of interesst to me.
    Kennedy Meeks did get ejected from the last game of the G League Finals so his playoffs were not so great.

Mitch McGary is not a fan of NCAA drug enforcement. Or any drug enforcement really.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I bet World Team Coach Rana wishes he could coach RJ every year. Gotta think RJ, who led the team in assists, was on Rana's mind with these quotes:

"Their willingness to share the ball is what defined this team," Rana said. "When your best players are willing to give it up to make others successful, it says a lot. That was really on display today. It was a beautiful game."

<snip>

"This is my eighth Hoop Summit and I've never been around a better group from a character perspective," Rana said. "This is a team I'll treasure for a long time."
    Clearly Rana was just sending a message that he would have beaten the US U19 team by more last year if he also had Nembhard and Brazdeikis. Good thing Calipari made sure that Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was not available to embarrass him further.

It would actually be interesting to me if an American college ever tried to pursue Rana or Canada's Women's National Team coach Lisa Thomaidis. Both would have plenty of international connections and they already recruit as college coaches so they would be familiar with it even in a different system.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Kennedy Meeks did get ejected from the last game of the G League Finals so his playoffs were not so great.
    Wait a minute, you're telling me that a former McDonald's All-American spent four years at UNC-CHeat and is now relegated to the G-League? That's impossible. Everyone tells me that Roy is the best in the world at developing big men and infallible when it comes to turning no-named scrubs into NBA All-Stars.

Glad I've been keeping track of this thread.

We've already had one prediction that RJ is going to have a better season than MBIII did, but now add Cam to the list of players who are going to have better seasons than MBIII did.

It won't be long before someone claims we are going undefeated next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Glad I've been keeping track of this thread.

We've already had one prediction that RJ is going to have a better season than MBIII did, but now add Cam to the list of players who are going to have better seasons than MBIII did.

It won't be long before someone claims we are going undefeated next year.
    I missed the part where folks also said Cam would have a better season than MBIII. Sarcasm?

If you give me 365:1 odds for a pie bet on Duke going undefeated I'll take it. A pie a day keeps the doctor away!

Barrett highlights from the game. He did appear to do most of his work in transition, and of course attacking the rim. As the announcers say, his outside shot is very much a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post

I like Jones's game and think that he is the type of pg that Duke needs next year, if he only had a respectable 3.
    I really hope this kid doesn’t get the DBR Tre Duval curse. God help him.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Barrett highlights from the game. He did appear to do most of his work in transition, and of course attacking the rim. As the announcers say, his outside shot is very much a work in progress.
    Yeeesh, that shooting is... not very good. He banked a free throw. All but one of his baskets came within 2 feet of the rim.

He is a phenomenal competitor, great athlete, and strong finisher in the lane. But as you mentioned, he has a long way to go as a shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeeesh, that shooting is... not very good. He banked a free throw. All but one of his baskets came within 2 feet of the rim.

He is a phenomenal competitor, great athlete, and strong finisher in the lane. But as you mentioned, he has a long way to go as a shooter.
    The NBA is all about shooting. Barrett has to develop an strong outside game or he will just be another guy in the league. He doesn’t have a fluid jumper right now- so this will take a lot of time. Barrett will have his way in college attacking the rim but he has to work on his shot if he want to be among the NBA top players.

It’s curious that top guard/wing players seem to struggle with shooting considering the emphasis on 3-pt shooting in the NBA these days. You’d think guys focused on making it in the NBA would work on their shooting all along. Maybe Duval, Reddish, Barrett and Williamson are outliers.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    It’s curious that top guard/wing players seem to struggle with shooting considering the emphasis on 3-pt shooting in the NBA these days. You’d think guys focused on making it in the NBA would work on their shooting all along. Maybe Duval, Reddish, Barrett and Williamson are outliers.
    I think Reddish actually has a decent shooting stroke. But Barrett’s shot looks very... umm... work in progressy. I have no doubt he is working hard on it. But it has a long way to go to become a weapon.

To some degree I suspect that guys who are extremely effective going to the basket are more likely to be less developed as shooters. It is rare that a guy is really well-developed at both.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I suspect that part of it is that at the high school level, kids of that size can simply get to the basket any time they want.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I suspect that part of it is that at the high school level, kids of that size can simply get to the basket any time they want.
    But their goal as a profession demands shooting. I will never understand why these kids do not spend more time on their shooting particularly from the line.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    But their goal as a profession demands shooting. I will never understand why these kids do not spend more time on their shooting particularly from the line.
    Can't dispute that...just noting that if you're 6-8 in high school and can put the ball on the floor, things come pretty easily even without shooting.
    Zion is probably the best example of a kid who hasn't developed much of a stroke because he can knock everyone around like pinballs at the HS level.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think Reddish actually has a decent shooting stroke. But Barrett’s shot looks very... umm... work in progressy. I have no doubt he is working hard on it. But it has a long way to go to become a weapon.

To some degree I suspect that guys who are extremely effective going to the basket are more likely to be less developed as shooters. It is rare that a guy is really well-developed at both.
    Yup. Reddish isn’t Luke Kennard good or even Gary Trent good, but he’s got a very solid shot.

Our other three players are average - at best - at shooting. I don’t think we have any Duvals, but we don’t have any Graysons/Trents either.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Let’s stop being silly. R.J. will be a 10x All-Star in NBA. He won’t be just another guy. He has excellent shooting mechanics and a very solid midrange game. His long-range game will develop with reps. For those hyperventilating, relax.