Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Nike Hoop Summit, 4/13 10pm ET ESPN2

The full World team was finally announced after plenty of leaking beforehand:
    http://nikehoopsummit.com/images/Nik...ent%202018.pdf

R.J. of course will be there along with all of our player on the American side.

Will post the USA measurements when they become available, but here they are for the World team.

Jonathan GivonyVerified account @DraftExpress 14h14 hours ago
    Measurements of the @nikehoopsummit team were released today prior to the evening practice.

Is Zion gonna play?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Is Zion gonna play?
    No.

https://www.flohoops.com/articles/61...ke-hoop-summit

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Is Zion gonna play?
    Nope. He's in a cast and will sit out. That was expected ever since his thumb grotesquely bent the wrong way in the McDonald's game.

These twitter posts have some clips of RJ shooting in case anyone's interested (click on the "hours ago"). I believe USA starts practice today, so we'll get more from Tre and Cam later on.

Dave DuFourVerified account @DaveDuFourNBA 13h13 hours ago
    2018 number one prospect RJ Barrett is showing off a much smoother jumper than last year. Hitting a ton in warmups. @nikehoopsummit

Mike SchmitzVerified account @Mike_Schmitz 13h13 hours ago
    Potential 2019 #1 pick RJ Barrett getting shots up here in the Trailblazers practice facility. Still working to become a consistent shooter.

HS Basketball BR@HSBasketballBR 10h10 hours ago
    NIKE HOOP SUMMIT 2018:

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Will post the USA measurements when they become available, but here they are for the World team.

Jonathan GivonyVerified account @DraftExpress 14h14 hours ago
    Measurements of the @nikehoopsummit team were released today prior to the evening practice.

I'm sure there are body physiology differences I'm not fully appreciating, but I don't understand how Bassey and Dante have the same standing reach when Dante is both slightly taller and has a wider wingspan. Long neck and wide shoulders?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I don't know when this started to become the norm at events like this, the draft combine, or wherever, but I think it's pretty weird to measure players in shoes when a typical person's height (such as at a doctor's office) is not measured in shoes. It just creates weird apples to oranges comparisons when assessing how tall someone actually is. Shouldn't the height added by a shoe be uniform, and if not, why would we want the choice of shoe for the measurement to have an effect? If height includes shoes, should weight also include shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stealth View Post
    I don't know when this started to become the norm at events like this, the draft combine, or wherever, but I think it's pretty weird to measure players in shoes when a typical person's height (such as at a doctor's office) is not measured in shoes. It just creates weird apples to oranges comparisons when assessing how tall someone actually is. Shouldn't the height added by a shoe be uniform, and if not, why would we want the choice of shoe for the measurement to have an effect? If height includes shoes, should weight also include shoes?
    I mean it should be measured in shoes. It's what they play in.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    All right, so do you think that weight should also include shoes? Should it include a full uniform when they step on the scale?

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Worst argument always made. So should we measure football player height in cleats and helmets? I mean football players play in those. What about hockey players in skates and helmets? Jockeys on horses? Height is a real thing and it does not involve equipment...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stealth View Post
    The Chicago pre-NBA draft camp does a good job of covering a lot of measurements for players, including height in stocking feet. Often times the figure given for Duke players in the roster is significantly different. I have learned to live with it as it doesn't matter a lot if the kid can play his position.

Article from Oregon about our 4 incoming freshmen. Again, they seem to have a pretty good bond going already.

So, what is generally considered the most entertaining (and perhaps most informative [within reason]) All-Star game will be played tonight.

USA holds an all-time 14-6 record in this event vs the World Team.

I'm going to predict that the World Team gets its winning percentage up to .33333 tonight. The American high school class of 2018 is considered to be pretty weak, and the World Team has RJ while the USA doesn't. That might be enough. We'll see how it goes.

Halftime. 1st half box score below (courtesy of Cole Zwicker on twitter).

All 3 Dukies that are healthy started. (Zion is sitting out).

The box score is probably a bit misleading. RJ wasn't all that efficient but got some easy stuff in transition. He's so aggressive offensively. Would like to see an outside shot fall. Tre had a very good floor game and played very good defense, which is probably why he has a game-high 18 minutes played, despite modest box score stats. Best U.S. player was Bol Bol, who uses his freakish length to protect the basket.

Well, I don't think there should be much debate over who the best player in the country next year will be

After watching the game all I can say is, "Vanna, I'd like to buy a shooter."

RJ played like the Alpha Dog we've been hearing about, but I can promise you that several times next season we'll be saying, "Why on earth did he take that shot." Like a lot of very good players he gets on a roll and for some reason decides he needs to jack-up a three.

Cam had a nice start to the game, but then went AWOL. This seems to be his M.O. and hopefully he won't defer too much once he gets to Duke.

Tre had a so-so game. No bad mistakes, but he really didn't make his teammates better.

I will say this about these three, they all seem to be very willing defenders. So that shouldn't be a major issue next season.

If only someone can find a shooting stroke between now and the start of the season

Box score here (unless the link changes later on): https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/USAB/863978/bs.html

RJ's passing in the 4th quarter was a key for the World Team, as was their dominant rebounding. RJ really stuffed the box score with 20 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists (to 2 turnovers), 5 steals

Tre's game fell off a lot in the second half as he took some poor shots but did finish with 5 assists to 0 turnovers. Cam wasn't much of a factor or noticeable.

Jonathan GivonyVerified account @DraftExpress 25m25 minutes ago
    R.J. Barrett once again showed he's the cream of the crop of the 2018 high school class when the lights came on. Just wants to rip your heart out every time he steps on the floor. Thought he showed some impressive passing ability today as well.

Good to see all three of the Duke guys on the floor at crunch time. Suggest they looked good in the practices which I'd figure were intense.