Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nike Hoop Summit, 4/13 10pm ET ESPN2

The full World team was finally announced after plenty of leaking beforehand:
    http://nikehoopsummit.com/images/Nik...ent%202018.pdf

R.J. of course will be there along with all of our player on the American side.

Will post the USA measurements when they become available, but here they are for the World team.

Jonathan GivonyVerified account @DraftExpress 14h14 hours ago
    Measurements of the @nikehoopsummit team were released today prior to the evening practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Will post the USA measurements when they become available, but here they are for the World team.

Jonathan GivonyVerified account @DraftExpress 14h14 hours ago
    Measurements of the @nikehoopsummit team were released today prior to the evening practice.

I'm sure there are body physiology differences I'm not fully appreciating, but I don't understand how Bassey and Dante have the same standing reach when Dante is both slightly taller and has a wider wingspan. Long neck and wide shoulders?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I don't know when this started to become the norm at events like this, the draft combine, or wherever, but I think it's pretty weird to measure players in shoes when a typical person's height (such as at a doctor's office) is not measured in shoes. It just creates weird apples to oranges comparisons when assessing how tall someone actually is. Shouldn't the height added by a shoe be uniform, and if not, why would we want the choice of shoe for the measurement to have an effect? If height includes shoes, should weight also include shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stealth View Post
    I don't know when this started to become the norm at events like this, the draft combine, or wherever, but I think it's pretty weird to measure players in shoes when a typical person's height (such as at a doctor's office) is not measured in shoes. It just creates weird apples to oranges comparisons when assessing how tall someone actually is. Shouldn't the height added by a shoe be uniform, and if not, why would we want the choice of shoe for the measurement to have an effect? If height includes shoes, should weight also include shoes?
    I mean it should be measured in shoes. It's what they play in.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    All right, so do you think that weight should also include shoes? Should it include a full uniform when they step on the scale?

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Worst argument always made. So should we measure football player height in cleats and helmets? I mean football players play in those. What about hockey players in skates and helmets? Jockeys on horses? Height is a real thing and it does not involve equipment...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stealth View Post
    The Chicago pre-NBA draft camp does a good job of covering a lot of measurements for players, including height in stocking feet. Often times the figure given for Duke players in the roster is significantly different. I have learned to live with it as it doesn't matter a lot if the kid can play his position.

Article from Oregon about our 4 incoming freshmen. Again, they seem to have a pretty good bond going already.

So, what is generally considered the most entertaining (and perhaps most informative [within reason]) All-Star game will be played tonight.

USA holds an all-time 14-6 record in this event vs the World Team.

I'm going to predict that the World Team gets its winning percentage up to .33333 tonight. The American high school class of 2018 is considered to be pretty weak, and the World Team has RJ while the USA doesn't. That might be enough. We'll see how it goes.

Halftime. 1st half box score below (courtesy of Cole Zwicker on twitter).

All 3 Dukies that are healthy started. (Zion is sitting out).

The box score is probably a bit misleading. RJ wasn't all that efficient but got some easy stuff in transition. He's so aggressive offensively. Would like to see an outside shot fall. Tre had a very good floor game and played very good defense, which is probably why he has a game-high 18 minutes played, despite modest box score stats. Best U.S. player was Bol Bol, who uses his freakish length to protect the basket.

Well, I don't think there should be much debate over who the best player in the country next year will be

After watching the game all I can say is, "Vanna, I'd like to buy a shooter."

RJ played like the Alpha Dog we've been hearing about, but I can promise you that several times next season we'll be saying, "Why on earth did he take that shot." Like a lot of very good players he gets on a roll and for some reason decides he needs to jack-up a three.

Cam had a nice start to the game, but then went AWOL. This seems to be his M.O. and hopefully he won't defer too much once he gets to Duke.

Tre had a so-so game. No bad mistakes, but he really didn't make his teammates better.

I will say this about these three, they all seem to be very willing defenders. So that shouldn't be a major issue next season.

If only someone can find a shooting stroke between now and the start of the season

Box score here (unless the link changes later on): https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/USAB/863978/bs.html

RJ's passing in the 4th quarter was a key for the World Team, as was their dominant rebounding. RJ really stuffed the box score with 20 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists (to 2 turnovers), 5 steals

Tre's game fell off a lot in the second half as he took some poor shots but did finish with 5 assists to 0 turnovers. Cam wasn't much of a factor or noticeable.

Jonathan GivonyVerified account @DraftExpress 25m25 minutes ago
    R.J. Barrett once again showed he's the cream of the crop of the 2018 high school class when the lights came on. Just wants to rip your heart out every time he steps on the floor. Thought he showed some impressive passing ability today as well.

Good to see all three of the Duke guys on the floor at crunch time. Suggest they looked good in the practices which I'd figure were intense.

The real reason Cam Reddish chose Duke

Barrett will be a major star! Reddish Jones and Williamson will complement RJ.
    I really do not expect Wendell to return. Bolden will emerge next season. Javin needs to work on offense,shooting and finishing. I do hope we add Cremo and O'Connell and Goldwire improve their games.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Barrett will be a major star! Reddish Jones and Williamson will complement RJ.
    I really do not expect Wendell to return. Bolden will emerge next season. Javin needs to work on offense,shooting and finishing. I do hope we add Cremo and O'Connell and Goldwire improve their games.
    Stop hoping. Cremo is no longer considering Duke on his list.

Barrett was all over the place last night, just willing his team to a victory. He wasn't shooting well from deep, but was getting to the rim, getting out in transition, and assisting teammates.

The US Team had spurts, but the pieces didn't fit as well together. They weren't even close to making the game interesting in winning time.

Bol Bol to me had the most impressive pro talent potential on the floor. He was incredible, blocking everything. He jumps off the floor instantly, and starts off at 7'2". He has serious Dikembe Mutombo type rim protection, or maybe eventually better. He had great hands and finished quickly.

Grimes could be scary good, but also jacked up some bad shots rather than moving the ball. Cole Swider really shoots well, is tough inside, is confident, plays smart, and will fit right in at Nova.

Darius Garland also outplayed Tre Jones substantially. Garland was hitting his shot. Tre played hard, but didn't shoot well and didn't seem all that effective. Fran Fraschilla was basicallly taking shots at future and former Duke players all night, and said about 100 times he thought Garland was a better point guard than Jones and should be ranked higher. Paul Biancardi called him on it, letting him know that Fran had watched Garland about twice, and Biancardi had see them both about 100 times. Biancardi said Jones plays hard on both ends all the time and that he stands by his rankings that Tre is better. Reddish had a couple of nice iso plays, but otherwise was completely awful. He just didn't get in the flow of the game or really help his team.

As stated ad nauseum; all of our 4 Kill4s need to work on outside shooting and be getting about 1000 shots up a day. AOC should also plan to be a huge contributor next year, we're going to need him.

Way too early Final 4 Prediction now based on what I've seen so far - Villanova; UNCheat; Kansas; and Gonzaga (where some key guys opted to return to school over NBA). Barrett looks like a monster, but unless Carter surprises with a miracle decision, I think Duke's youth does them in again and that we take a step backward next year. The good news is that my powers of prediction are usually about as accurate as a 10 yo playing jeopardy. I haven't been getting fat on pie. Keeping expectations very low, and hoping for the best!

The most impressive recruits from these games to me have been Nas Little, Emmitt Williams, (both didn't play last night), Barrett, and Bol Bol.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 04-14-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Stop hoping. Cremo is no longer considering Duke on his list.

Barrett was all over the place last night, just willing his team to a victory. He wasn't shooting well from deep, but was getting to the rim, getting out in transition, and assisting teammates.

The US Team had spurts, but the pieces didn't fit as well together. They weren't even close to making the game interesting in winning time.

Bol Bol to me had the most impressive pro talent potential on the floor. He was incredible, blocking everything. He jumps off the floor instantly, and starts off at 7'2". He has serious Dikembe Mutombo type rim protection, or maybe eventually better. He had great hands and finished quickly.

Grimes could be scary good, but also jacked up some bad shots rather than moving the ball. Cole Swider really shoots well, is tough inside, is confident, plays smart, and will fit right in at Nova.

Darius Garland also outplayed Tre Jones substantially. Garland was hitting his shot. Tre played hard, but didn't shoot well and didn't seem all that effective. Fran Fraschilla was basicallly taking shots at future and former Duke players all night, and said about 100 times he thought Garland was a better point guard than Jones and should be ranked higher. Paul Biancardi called him on it, letting him know that Fran had watched Garland about twice, and Biancardi had see them both about 100 times. Biancardi said Jones plays hard on both ends all the time and that he stands by his rankings that Tre is better. Reddish had a couple of nice iso plays, but otherwise was completely awful. He just didn't get in the flow of the game or really help his team.

As stated ad nauseum; all of our 4 Kill4s need to work on outside shooting and be getting about 1000 shots up a day. AOC should also plan to be a huge contributor next year, we're going to need him.

Way too early Final 4 Prediction now based on what I've seen so far - Villanova; UNCheat; Kansas; and Gonzaga (where some key guys opted to return to school over NBA). Barrett looks like a monster, but unless Carter surprises with a miracle decision, I think Duke's youth does them in again and that we take a step backward next year. The good news is that my powers of prediction are usually about as accurate as a 10 yo playing jeopardy. I haven't been getting fat on pie. Keeping expectations very low, and hoping for the best!

The most impressive recruits from these games to me have been Nas Little, Emmitt Williams, (both didn't play last night), Barrett, and Bol Bol.
    Do we all still have shell shock from UNC making deep runs a few years back? They lost in the round of 32 this year finished 6th in the ACC and lost their two most vital players. I’m not putting them in any FF projections.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Do we all still have shell shock from UNC making deep runs a few years back? They lost in the round of 32 this year finished 6th in the ACC and lost their two most vital players. I’m not putting them in any FF projections.
    I hate the Cheats as much as anybody. For the last few years they've lost their most vital players. But they've played in the Championship game 2 out of the last 3 years despite a few years of not being able to recruit any 5 stars. Because for whatever lucky reason, they've gotten old (experienced), stayed old, and next year they're replacing Pinson/Berry with 2 extremely impressive 5-star guys who look even more talented.

After last year's Cheats lost Tony Bradley, Justin Jackson, Meeks, and Hicks I thought there was no way they would be able to play with who we were bringing in. We had the best bigs we've ever had, and we had a complete team. Roy relies on quality bigs and they were all gone. And Roy carved up our zone like turkey on Thanksgiving. We lost 2/3 to the Cheats this year, and pretty convincingly. This year's Cheats team lost 2 vital players. Duke lost all our vital starting 5 players. We're bringing in 4 studs. They're bringing in 2 studs. But they bring back Maye, Cam Johnson, and Kenny Williams.

K has owned Roy before when the Cheats were good. So hopefully he will again. But I think he will really have his work cut out for him with this much raw youth. Keeping it real, I'm not underestimating the cheats next year given everybody we're losing. I project Duke to finish 3rd in next year's ACC race. But I've been wrong before!