Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks for your efforts. Much success in the future. Wish we could have seen more of you in Duke blue.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I'd bet Tre ends up a late first rounder. The NBA combine will help him more than almost anyone else. He also played really well in the NCAA tournament, which NBA scouts value very heavily.

He's a little raw, but the athletic gifts are in the top 5% of even the NBA. He's risky, but there's a chance he could really blow up with a few years of development.
    Obviously I sure agree. Since when did a OAD freshman need to be a finished product to get drafted first round? I thought it was all about potential, and Duval's potential to be an NBA stud is through the roof.

But I'll go ahead and start warming up the bakery ovens just in case I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Obviously I sure agree. Since when did a OAD freshman need to be a finished product to get drafted first round? I thought it was all about potential, and Duval's potential to be an NBA stud is through the roof.

But I'll go ahead and start warming up the bakery ovens just in case I'm wrong.
    I don't want to see any banners hung regarding any of your bakery products.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Good luck to the young man. I have supported him through the season and it showed apparently because someone asked me if I was any relation to him. LOL! I actually think FlyingDD was a bigger cheerleader than me.

What is saw in this young man was a nice kid who said all the right things about his team and Duke. I read his story about his relationship with his Dad. I felt that his Dad was also very supportive and not an entitled parent type which Duke sometimes gets. I also saw his relationship with his team mates and I felt that K and the coaches always supported him. There must be a reason for that. I think he played great for Duke and he has tremendous potential in the NBA. I think he will go first round.

One the other side many on this forum only saw his mistakes. In some games other players turned the ball over more or missed more three pointers but only TD’s mistakes were highlighted. Favouritism for other players or something else along the lines of for some reason suggesting that he is just not the college type.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    I thought this had been debunked (and that his quote was actually about it being the last game in Cameron for “this team”). That’s neither here nor there though at this point.
    Eh... If you watch the video, it's pretty clear Duval suggests it was his last game in Cameron. Having said that, the reporter asked a very leading question that was intended to get that type of response.

Good luck Tre!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    He will get drafted (probably round 2), and will play in the NBA next year. What he does from there, nobody knows. But he is going to be in the NBA next year.
    Maybe the original poster meant that he will mostly play in the G-league next year which is accurate I believe. Also, he may be in the NBA next year but I agree that he won’t be able to help an NBA team next year. He is a couple years away, which everyone knows. The NBA will be great for him to solely focus on basketball and his weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I'd bet Tre ends up a late first rounder. The NBA combine will help him more than almost anyone else. He also played really well in the NCAA tournament, which NBA scouts value very heavily.
    I feel like NBA scouts already know that he has elite athleticism. That’s been apparent in scouting reports for years. Yet they still have him projected in the second round. For guys like Frank Jackson and MP1, their combine numbers were a surprise because they didn’t show it as much on the court and didn’t get a ton of playing time. They also already know how he performed in the tournament, because these mocks are really recent. Maybe Duval will show “really really elite” numbers, even better than expected, but I kind of doubt that. And his ability to actually use that athleticism in a positive way on the court was severely hampered by poor decision making.

Second Round??

Times have certainly changed. It was bad enough that Frank Jackson left after one year only to be a second round draft pick. At least the buzz was that he believed he would go in the first round. Now we have freshmen leaving Duke with strong prospects of being drafted in the second round and prospects of playing ball in Wyoming or North Dakota in front of no one while trying to gain the experience to get to the NBA. Maybe the Duke experience which so many of us treasured is no longer what it is cracked up to be. Maybe it is the realization that the draft is all about potential and not about how good you are and it is better to fool people as a freshman rather than confirm to the scouts that you really aren’t much better as a sophomore or junior. I appreciate all Trevon’s efforts at Duke. Of all the members of that class he had the most difficulty meeting the expectations that a top ten recruit and number one point guard carried. When I predicted great results for this year’s team it was based in large measure on Trevon’s high ranking. (Finally we had a point guard after a year of no point guard.). He has lots of potential but he just wasn’t that good this year. He might have been great next year or when he was a junior. I wonder if we are reaching a point where one and done will mean even if no one drafts me I am one and done. (By the way I have never expected Trevon to return to Duke.)

Quote Originally Posted by indy1duke View Post
    Times have certainly changed. It was bad enough that Frank Jackson left after one year only to be a second round draft pick. At least the buzz was that he believed he would go in the first round. Now we have freshmen leaving Duke with strong prospects of being drafted in the second round and prospects of playing ball in Wyoming or North Dakota in front of no one while trying to gain the experience to get to the NBA. Maybe the Duke experience which so many of us treasured is no longer what it is cracked up to be. Maybe it is the realization that the draft is all about potential and not about how good you are and it is better to fool people as a freshman rather than confirm to the scouts that you really aren’t much better as a sophomore or junior. I appreciate all Trevon’s efforts at Duke. Of all the members of that class he had the most difficulty meeting the expectations that a top ten recruit and number one point guard carried. When I predicted great results for this year’s team it was based in large measure on Trevon’s high ranking. (Finally we had a point guard after a year of no point guard.). He has lots of potential but he just wasn’t that good this year. He might have been great next year or when he was a junior. I wonder if we are reaching a point where one and done will mean even if no one drafts me I am one and done. (By the way I have never expected Trevon to return to Duke.)

Frank has has sat out the year injured earning 800K. Next year he will play and earn 1.3MUSD.
    If that is ‘only’ second round money then at least I don think it’s a bad decision.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

If someone came to you after your freshman year of college and said, "I will pay you a million dollars a year for three years if you leave school right now. After that, maybe I'll employ you further, or if I don't you can go back to school, try to get another job, or sit at home and count your money." Would you say yes? I'm pretty sure I would have said yes, and pretty sure practically every poster on this board would would have said yes.

So it's not "bad enough," it's not that "the Duke experience which so many of us treasured is no longer what it is cracked up to be," it's not that a player can somehow learn more at Duke about their chosen profession then they can on the job (with some of the best teachers in the world). It's basically, the opportunity is out there in front of these kids and they've chosen to grab it. And we have no right to judge them harshly for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    I also think he had to perhaps sacrifice more for this team than anyone. (Him or Carter).
    Agreed. I think Duval was asked to be a pass-first point guard this year and that’s not really his game. He needs to be a bit more ball dominant to be at his best and there was no room for him to be that on this team for extended periods. I think he’ll be a much better NBA player than he was in college.

Good luck to Tre. He will be a fascinating player to watch develop. His shooting and decision making will need to get markedly better to be a NBA point guard - but it is up to him to put in the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Frank has has sat out the year injured earning 800K. Next year he will play and earn 1.3MUSD.
    If that is ‘only’ second round money then at least I don think it’s a bad decision.
    While that seems like a lot of money, how does that compare with returning to Duke, learning from Coach K, improving his point guard skills, gaining confidence, growing as a person and a player, possibly leading Duke to the Final Four, and moving up in the draft which would mean a lot more money and a guaranteed contract?

While that seems like a lot of money, how does that compare with returning to Duke, learning from Coach K, improving his point guard skills, gaining confidence, growing as a person and a player, possibly leading Duke to the Final Four, and moving up in the draft which would mean a lot more money and a guaranteed contract?
    I don’t know. Why don’t you ask Jackson? Because apparently to him the opportunity to live out his dream was more important. Would it be worse to return, get hurt or fail to improve, and make your draft stock worse? All while delaying your dream a year?

Here’s the thing: for many, if not all, of these kids, the NBA is their dream. Not Duke, not Kentucky, not UNC, not any college. They may indeed love Coach K, and even Duke. But the NBA is the dream. So when presented the opportunity to actually realize their dream AND get paid a boatload of money, it is pretty hard to say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    If someone came to you after your freshman year of college and said, "I will pay you a million dollars a year for three years if you leave school right now. After that, maybe I'll employ you further, or if I don't you can go back to school, try to get another job, or sit at home and count your money." Would you say yes? I'm pretty sure I would have said yes, and pretty sure practically every poster on this board would would have said yes.

So it's not "bad enough," it's not that "the Duke experience which so many of us treasured is no longer what it is cracked up to be," it's not that a player can somehow learn more at Duke about their chosen profession then they can on the job (with some of the best teachers in the world). It's basically, the opportunity is out there in front of these kids and they've chosen to grab it. And we have no right to judge them harshly for doing so.
    And you spend those three years training for your chosen profession with the best staff and facilities in the world, compete with the best in your profession in practice on a regular basis, during the season travel first class to major cities with international celebrities.

What 19 yo would ever be interested in that?

Heck no! I want to stay and get my degree in Sociology and help people!

Good luck to Tre. I hope players willingness to leave for the D or G league filters down to HS seniors too. If your goal is the NBA ASAP, why go to college?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Good luck to Tre. I hope players willingness to leave for the D or G league filters down to HS seniors too. If your goal is the NBA ASAP, why go to college?
    I hate to use the term, but if your goal is also to "build your brand" on your way to the NBA then college is a good route.

Test question: Which players do you follow in the D/G league that you didn't start following while they were in college?

Because despite its flaws, college is still widely considered the best path to the NBA. You get way more pub, get to hang out with folks your age, you get to be adored for a year, and maybe get a chance at an NCAA tourney. And in the absolute worst case, you hedge your bets if things go horribly wrong. And the pay in those other leagues just isn't sufficient to make it worthwhile. There is a reason pretty much everyone goes the college route over the paid alternatives.

Because Trevon will make about $1 million guaranteed next season and will have a franchise that has invested at least a little bit of something (2nd-round draft pick) into developing him. The Darius Bazley kid who's doing HS-to-GLeague will make $26,000 and won't have an affiliation with an NBA team.

It's not like Bazley is the first player ever to think, "Why don't I just go to the D-league for a year?" He was the first (actually second) to decide that route is more appealing than college.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post

Yup. This sums it up pretty well. I'm pretty sure those who hate players leaving early are also the same folks who would jump at a raise in their current job. Only instead of a $10K raise, you're getting a $2M raise (unless you played at Zona. Then it's only a $1.9M raise).

More power to Duval. With Jones coming in, he made the right move.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club